The Walt Disney Company to Acquire 21st Century Fox Assets Resulting in Majority Control Over Hulu

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Asking seriously...why?
For creatives, this is one less place to push their ideas. There used to be six big studios. Now there are five in Hollywood. For a large number of people, this means losing their jobs. That always happens when it comes to big mergers. For consumers, it means fewer different companies playing against each other in terms of creativity and business plans.

Not to mention Disney isn’t that nice of a company.

gluckett

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
I feel like the opposite should be happening on the sports side, Disney should be forced to hand ESPN over to fox, not ESPN eventually taking over the handful of regional sports channels and turning them into over priced unbearable noise channels.
Amen!

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Tennessee
I don't know how I feel about this merger. What ever happened to the anti competitive laws that were supposed to protect us consumers from mega mergers? This can't be good for the consumer.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Apple couldn't get it because the industry didn't want that.
So their subsidiary Disney bought it
and sells it to mr Scrooge next week
You're kidding right? Disney and Apple's relationship is not tight anymore. It only existed because of Jobs. Now that he's gone, from everything I've seen, Disney just sees Apple as any other corporation. They owe them no favors.
[doublepost=1513271306][/doublepost]
Apple should just buy Disney if its going to compete with Youtube and Prime and Netflix and Hulu and ....
Right... because that's such an easy task. When's the last time you heard of Disney selling assets rather than acquiring them?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
And most importantly: Now maybe the Fox logo and fanfare can be shown before the start of the new Star Wars movies where it belongs. :) ;)

Always seems wrong that that's not there for the new movies. :)

Reactions: zapmymac

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I cut the cord last year so I am all for streaming, but I am nervous about where this will all lead to in the future. I don't want to pay for multiple streaming services. Right now I use Playstation Vue, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Now. I feel like there needs to be a better way to do this.
Yeah there is no legitimate alternative for now. My ethos wants to do it as soon as possible, but unfortunately there is no great alternative yet. I for one, am definitely not paying for multiple services.

If you don't mind utilizing torrents or streaming sites, that can make it a little bit easier though.

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
This, and also a potentially not bad Fantastic Four movie at last :eek:
I hope they get Brad Bird on the MCU's Fantastic Four. He already made a beautiful tribute with The Incredibles.

Man they keep just getting bigger and bigger. And Disney owning star wars, you just know its going to affect every movie. That Porg thing? Merchandise. Pure stuffy toys and lunchbox fodder.
You realize Lucas created the whole concept of Mechandizing the **** Out of Movies™, right?

I remember C-3PO's cereal back in the day, droids and Ewoks and Yoda was on EVERYTHING in the early-80's.

Nope. Deadpool is part of he X Men franchise. Say goodbye to rated R Deadpool.
I'm trying to find the link again, but a Disney exec said there is a future for R-rated movies in the MCU, including Deadpool.

Don't forget, Disney-owned Miramax released most of Tarantino's movies, plus Feige is chummy with Reynolds and Tim Miller, hence the name drop in the first Deadpool movie.
[doublepost=1513273571][/doublepost]
and ROM, can't forget ROM (Hasbro)
It's weird, they (Marvel) don't have the rights to ROM himself, but own the rights to ALL his lore, the other Space Knights (who appeared recently in the Guardians of the Galaxy comic) or the main villains, the Dire Wraiths (who were the main villains for the British team Excalibur for years).

I wonder how much Hasbro is having to pay for the license to use those in their new Hasbroverse comics.

Last edited:
Reactions: the johnmc

mattyj2001

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2015
Looking forward to Hulu over BAMTech, their current streaming is kinda spotty at times.

This also means that the distribution rights to the original Star Wars trilogy will be under Disney now, and they like money, so fingers crossed that they dig up some old reels and release the original cuts on Bluray. They did 90% of the work for the original Bluray release, they just need to cut out the extra garbage and replace it with Han shooting first. They'd sell millions of them.

naturalstar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Oh, Sweet Baby Jesus, will I finally get some seriously kick a** X-Men movies?!!?? I have always been an X-Men fan over Avengers.

Yes, this is my selfish takeaway... make it happen, please. I’m ready.

Reactions: the johnmc

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
And Apple decides to buy Disney. :)
[doublepost=1513275238][/doublepost]
As just posted by Carnegie in previous post and in the news - this is a proposed deal. Some news reports think this could take a year to conclude.

FAKE NEWS TITLE.

(EDIT - Title has been updated by MacRumors)
Stop overusing "fake news" because the user of "fake news" becomes "fake news" itself.

All the others know that there is news and there are facts. And in fact, there is a reality out there, which people who try to tag everything with "fake news" seem to have forgotten about. Just the fact ma'am.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
And most importantly: Now maybe the Fox logo and fanfare can be shown before the start of the new Star Wars movies where it belongs. :) ;)

Always seems wrong that that's not there for the new movies. :)
Apple users should be used to things being gone (as in the Mac startup chime among MANY other things).;)
[doublepost=1513277510][/doublepost]
Oh, Sweet Baby Jesus, will I finally get some seriously kick a** X-Men movies?!!?? I have always been an X-Men fan over Avengers.

Yes, this is my selfish takeaway... make it happen, please. I’m ready.
Indeed.

I find the MCU characters to be the definitive versions over all other mediums, however. The movie writers are really, really good.

And finally being open to the MCU exploring Mutants may become a really big win for us fans. Looking forward to this if it pans out.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
If priced well i will switch. Netflix has had nothing much of interest to me in a while now...
I pretty much watch the Marvel/disney content on netflix lol.

All the "old" movies I'd watch have digital copies for a few $ somewhere online if not streaming somewhere on the net.
[doublepost=1513278629][/doublepost]
This, and also a potentially not bad Fantastic Four movie at last :eek:
Wish this happened while Alba was in her prime.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Don't worry there is plenty of hate to go around. And I acknowledge that there are worse companies but it was early and I couldn't think of any at the time. I wasn't reading a story about them.

I must not know about a lot of things - and I acknowledge that - that doesn't mean I'm drinking your kool-aid. Call me insane. I care not.
I’m not drinking kook-aid on Disney but I am telling you it’s practically insane to say you hate Disney more than any other company or even have it in your top 200 most hated. If you only kmow 10 companies, maybe.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Nope. Deadpool is part of he X Men franchise. Say goodbye to rated R Deadpool.
This. There are so many facets to this acquisition, but the one that concerns me straight up is the future of the R-rated, edgier, and far more entertaining films (in my opinion) 20th Century has made in the last few years: DEADPOOL, LOGAN, KINGSMAN. And then there’s the grittier PREDATOR reboot out next year, probably hoping to restart that franchise, as well as what seems to be a darker X-MEN spin-off currently in production.

Marvel’s head has already stated that Disney/Marvel is unlikely to make an R-rated comic book film, so the approach to making fresh and far more entertaining films from Fox recently will fade away, it seems. It’s early days, I guess, but have become rather bored with the sameness of Disney’s Marvel output over the last couple of years.

Anyhow, that’s my opinion. Box office results speak differently as to the enjoyment many people have for current DISNEY/MCU films...

Reactions: opeter