Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Honestly with those "ears" it'll look bad (to my mind) with black or white. However you can take the same approach you always would to determine whether the white or black face looks better, with the display on. When the display is off, the black obviously looks better, due the notch.

I for one, will be going with black, and then jailbreaking and adding a black bar across the ears, to make it uniform like the previous leaks claimed for a period of time. I'll be happy then.
[doublepost=1504358733][/doublepost]

I agree that since this is clearly a slightly darker (or imo more masculine) version of rose gold, that they should also be introducing it with a black face. I understand why they are not though, because the gold option has always come with a white face.
If they have a jailbreak. Did they even have one for the 7's?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

Yeah in April or May. Took them a while, technically there was a jailbreak within a couple months for all devices but the 7 lol. I'm fairly confident big Chinese jailbreakers have been holding out until the 8 releases, and will release content after, and in abundance. Others's state jailbreaking is dead, but I don't believe that for an instant. It's just rotating.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah in April or May. Took them a while, technically there was a jailbreak within a couple months for all devices but the 7 lol. I'm fairly confident big Chinese jailbreakers have been holding out until the 8 releases, and will release content after, and in abundance. Others's state jailbreaking is dead, but I don't believe that for an instant. It's just rotating.
I was waiting for a jailbreak for my 7+ for a while but I didn't think they had one. Did they actual release one that supported the 7's though?
[doublepost=1504464571][/doublepost]
Yes, but not for the later iOS versions.
Which version was it?

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
We're talking front panel, yea?

Show me the sources then. Every rumor on color has stated white front with white phone
Not a single legit report has mentioned the existence of a white front bezel. On September 12th you'll see, and presumably be very sad.

And no I'm not bothering showing you sources, google it or don't believe it, I couldn't care less.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

To paraphrase Frank Zappa, jailbreaking is not dead; it just smells funny.
[doublepost=1504466514][/doublepost]
Which version was it?

10.0-10.1.1.

Reactions: Vanilla35

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Not a single legit report has mentioned the existence of a white front bezel. On September 12th you'll see, and presumably be very sad.

And no I'm not bothering showing you sources, google it or don't believe it, I couldn't care less.
Lol. Don't know what rumors you've read. Nobody on this site has.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
I can't understand why some are saying they are going white for the first time after looking at their screen shot...

What is the difference between that and the current phones? There's a reason why u didn't go white the last couple of iPhones.

Mostly everything is going to look better with a black bezel. Think about watching videos...

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
What about this?
No ear and equal chin to house the new horizontal bar / button replacement.

I4cQdSB.jpg

That looks pretty good! It makes the phone perfectly symmetrical. However, there is a lot of useless black fake bezel on the bottom this way, that's the downside.

The iPhone Edition will only have a black front. Even if Apple 'embraces the notch'. Please see Apple Watch.

As an aside, I cannot fathom Jony's team and himself being so careless with design to show the notch. The Apple Watch as an example only comes with black fronts. It was specifically designed to have UI that hides the bezels as much as possible. It's stated right in Apple's UI developer suggestions, and it's been stated by executives. Not only this, but Apple fundamental design methodology is symmetry. So Apple is going from a deliberate design choice in hiding bezels on the Watch, to a deliberate design choice to accentuate the notch? It's so absurd that I will not believe it until I see Apple show it, even though the highly accurate Mark Gurman reported its to be.

You can't present these things as facts as you can't know. We all assumed having a black front and blacking out screen parts was the most logical move by Apple (even Samsung only delivers their S8 with black fronts), but based on Gurman's article in which he states he was shown actual images of the interface, I tend to follow the evidence more than my own logic reasoning. Also, in the leaked HomePod code there was nothing to indicate any blacking out would happen. The code regarding the home bar area even specifically states it can enlarge the tab bar of apps to house it. So white apps, white bottom home bar. And as the status bar is also part of an app, I expect it to not be blacked out and just get the colour of the app header.

Marketing wise I expect Apple to want to emphasise how big the screen is and black interface elements with black bezels won't do it. The notch is also something that will make the iPhone instantly recognisable. With the screen off with a black front it will look exactly like the iPhone 7 (nobody will notice the 4mm difference in dimension in real life and the home button is so black and has a very small ring on the 7 that at first glance you won't even see that it's missing).

Therefore it would totally not surprise me if the white front will happen and will even be used in all the promo material as it emphasises the notch (stand out design in a market where all phones start to look alike and making it clear how amazing the screen to body ratio is) and it will blend in better with the (far too) white interface of all the iOS apps. I know you think people who say these things are crazy, but like with most of Apple's bizarre design choices, we get used to them and eventually start to "love" them. You will be so shocked if this happens!

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
What about this?

I4cQdSB.jpg

Wow this looks great! No loss of functionality, and it actually looks neat and clean.
[doublepost=1504540196][/doublepost]

Yeah I think it was March, the Yalu jailbreak allowed iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to be jailbreak. It wasn't the most stable, but still a jailbreak. In May Xerub dev collabed with Ian Beer and paired his exploit into the code to add stability and that one has held true to be stable like most jailbreaks are. The wait was real though, at like 6 months or so, for the 7. Like I mentioned above, I do believe it is mostly due to a transition of devs moving out of jailbreaking, while big guns come in, and wait for the best opportunity to jump in. Chinese devs are definitely sitting on exploits, that's for sure.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
What about this?

I4cQdSB.jpg

This looks good … but generic. The classic iPhone look (with home button) was/is not only iconic, but instantly recognizable, from the original model up to the 7. This looks almost exactly like an S8/V30. That's why I believe Apple will indeed embrace the notch instead of hiding it.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
That looks pretty good! It makes the phone perfectly symmetrical. However, there is a lot of useless black fake bezel on the bottom this way, that's the downside.

You can't present these things as facts as you can't know. We all assumed having a black front and blacking out screen parts was the most logical move by Apple (even Samsung only delivers their S8 with black fronts), but based on Gurman's article in which he states he was shown actual images of the interface, I tend to follow the evidence more than my own logic reasoning. Also, in the leaked HomePod code there was nothing to indicate any blacking out would happen. The code regarding the home bar area even specifically states it can enlarge the tab bar of apps to house it. So white apps, white bottom home bar. And as the status bar is also part of an app, I expect it to not be blacked out and just get the colour of the app header.

Marketing wise I expect Apple to want to emphasise how big the screen is and black interface elements with black bezels won't do it. The notch is also something that will make the iPhone instantly recognisable. With the screen off with a black front it will look exactly like the iPhone 7 (nobody will notice the 4mm difference in dimension in real life and the home button is so black and has a very small ring on the 7 that at first glance you won't even see that it's missing).

Therefore it would totally not surprise me if the white front will happen and will even be used in all the promo material as it emphasises the notch (stand out design in a market where all phones start to look alike and making it clear how amazing the screen to body ratio is) and it will blend in better with the (far too) white interface of all the iOS apps. I know you think people who say these things are crazy, but like with most of Apple's bizarre design choices, we get used to them and eventually start to "love" them. You will be so shocked if this happens!
I believe Gurman except for this. It's too completely opposite of Apple to believe.

As for that concept you said had wasted black bezel on the bottom, well there would actually be elements inside that black homebar, he just didn't draw them.
[doublepost=1504547376][/doublepost]
I can't understand why some are saying they are going white for the first time after looking at their screen shot...

What is the difference between that and the current phones? There's a reason why u didn't go white the last couple of iPhones.

Mostly everything is going to look better with a black bezel. Think about watching videos...
Well no one is going with a white front this time around because it's not happening on the iPhone X. They'll have to get an iPhone 8 for that. As you said, imagine a white front bezel when watching a movie in landscape. Lmao it would be so distracting. There's no chance Apple is stupid enough to do that.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
So the last couple of months almost everyone was convinced that the ears would have a black background and blend in with the black notch. Also, almost everyone thought the dummy models were wrong in showing a white front bezel and that all models would get a black front, similar to what Samsung did with the S8.

After yesterday's leak I've gotten convinced that the white bezel iPhone 8 will happen. The info Bloomberg presented is so detailed that I really feel they've seen what the end product will look like. Apple will embrace the notch (which already seemed apparent due to the glyph in the HomePod leak) and internally the software part even has a nickname (ears). If you then take into account that almost all Apple stock apps (Phone, Messages, Music, Mail, Calendar, Settings, Health, Photos, etc) are completely white with some colour accents, I think a white bezel iPhone seems a given. Here is an example of how most of the OS would look like:

View attachment 715274

In my opinion it totally makes sense. My theory is always, the iPhone looks best in black with the screen turned off, but with the screen turned on the white bezel blends better with the interface. Next to that, Apple's favourite colour is white and the embracing of the notch will be very obvious on a white iPhone.

Just 2 more weeks and we'll know for certain. I know many people think the white bezel looks very ugly on the dummy models (which have the screen off), but don't be too shocked to see it presented during the keynote.
Ive been die-hard set on the black iPhone since rumours of the screen began, and always thought the white dummies looked hideous. But your image genuinely makes me like the white option, so if it turns out anything like this, I'll be more than happy with white.

I thought it would be hard enough to get a black iPhone on launch day, but liking the white as well gives me options!
[doublepost=1504550233][/doublepost]
This looks good … but generic. The classic iPhone look (with home button) was/is not only iconic, but instantly recognizable, from the original model up to the 7. This looks almost exactly like an S8/V30. That's why I believe Apple will indeed embrace the notch instead of hiding it.
Good point here. Straightening the notch makes it look like every other flagship out there this year. Embracing it makes it instantly recognisable as the new iPhone.

I think for this reason alone they'll embrace it fully. It'll get mocked to no end by the press, but consumers will love it, because it clearly shows that they have the wealth and insanity to spend a grand on the new iPhone.

I can't wait!

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Well no one is going with a white front this time around because it's not happening on the iPhone X. They'll have to get an iPhone 8 for that. As you said, imagine a white front bezel when watching a movie in landscape. Lmao it would be so distracting. There's no chance Apple is stupid enough to do that.

I'm curious why you say Apple wouldn't release an X with a white bezel, when they've released plenty of iPhones and iPads with white bezels? Not everyone finds them distracting.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I'm curious why you say Apple wouldn't release an X with a white bezel, when they've released plenty of iPhones and iPads with white bezels? Not everyone finds them distracting.
It is specifically terrible on the iPhone X and highly distracting due to the notch in the display, that is the reason.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
white front would be a big mistake. it means that apple has no interest in actually using power saving benefits of OLED screens. why? on a black front, the background of the notches can be permanently black which 1. saves power and 2. provides uniformity and design principle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.