the white Nvidia MacBook thread

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThomasJL, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

To all the owners of the new white Nvidia MacBook:

Please post your opinions about this laptop. All praises and criticisms are welcome. Tell us the good and the bad. Tell us what's working properly and what isn't.

2. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I'm looking for some more info on the new one as well. I'm sure I'm not alone out there, but I actually prefer the white plastic look to the aluminum. (I guess it just seems more "Mac-like", heh)

--rob

3. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

if i read correctly, the processor on the white one is the same as the 2.0 aluminum book.
    they both have the 1066mhz fsb.

but the ram is limiting factor since its ddr2.

i wonder since the mb is the newer nvidia, maybe it supports ddr3 ram.

if this was the case the white one would be better than 2.0alu since its got firewire.

4. JCT macrumors 6502

Mine has been shipped and the config states that it is definitely DDR2 RAM.

JT

5. damov2 macrumors regular

I've just picked mine up from the retail store:D. I will let you know my thoughts when i've had time to play around.:apple:

6. KiD.DeeN macrumors newbie

especially those using it with logic/reason.
    with the nvidia chipset, might have problems :/

7. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I just got back from the Apple store with mine. I opened it at the store and tested it out real quick. After the couple little issues I had with the 2.1 refurb I received last week I decided it would be worth the gas & time to go buy in person and test on-site.

Tonight I'll get it out again and start using!

One thing I noticed right away at the store was that the edges didn't feel sharp. My old Macbook and the refurb from last week had the classic razor like edges and this one feels pretty smooth.

Being my first time in an Apple store I took some time to look around and play on the various machines. I will say that the Unibody Macbook looked great and felt very nice. I didn't think the screen was bad. Maybe a little more reflective but that could have been the extra lights in that part of the display area.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The white one is still using Intel X3100 graphics.

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Is this from personal experience? It isn't what it says on the info page.

2.0GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR2 Memory
    120GB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Standard keyboard
    White polycarbonate shell
    Ships: 1-2 business days
    Free Shipping
    $999.00
    as low as $23.00 a month

Or here

Play faster. Create faster.
    The NVIDIA GeForce 9400M brings amazing graphics performance to MacBook, so you can enjoy your favorite 3D games — from Spore to Call of Duty — with fast, responsive game play. Graphics-intensive features in iPhoto and iMovie are smooth and responsive. Movies and video offer rich colors and fine details. NVIDIA performance even makes a difference as you flip through your music library with Cover Flow or use Dashboard.

10. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

My box is the newer, slimmer package and clearly says Nvidia GeForce 9400M.

Looks like you've had your head in the sand for the past week.

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Its been upgraded to Nvidia now.......

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well that's a surprise then. I stand corrected.

13. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I also rather embarasingly made the same mistake in another thread earlier this week.....

14. Theirishjoey macrumors member

Just read this thread and it was very informative which is good because I'm buying mine as soon as possible!

15. danblakemore macrumors newbie

I have mine - swapped it for my macbook bought on 22 dec (kind people at apple store let me do this) It is currently on the first back up on time capsule so nothing to report. Got 4 gig of ram to stick in it and hopefully going to give ilife a good bashing soon. First impressions are good, solid unit, firewire (couldnt resist!) and snappy safari!

I will report as time goes on, but im happier safe in the knowledge that it will last a good few years, unlike the one bought previously.

16. kasakka macrumors 68000

Have they done anything with the screen though? I remember checking the white Macbook (pre-Nvidia) in the store and compared to the unibody models it didn't get bright enough to be usable in the store environment.

17. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

No iLife '09 unless you pay $49. WTF! I saw it on the Apple online store. I thought Apple will include iLife '09 in the box after this Tuesday (iLife '09 release).

18. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

My box has the iLife logo printed on it with '09. I didn't start any of the apps at the store, but I will tonight.

If for some reason it's not '09, I'll still be ok. I ordered the Up-to-date '09 for $9.99 for the refurb I just returned. When I did the RMA they told me to keep the ilife disc when it arrived since it was already shipped and too much hassle to return just a $10 item.

19. Rowlander macrumors member

Does it run FCS 2?

Since this macbook still has Firewire and is now upgraded with the new NVIDIA graphics-solution, it should run Final Cut Studio 2 pretty well, right?

I tried to google this but most of the articles date back to 2006.

Apple´s official story is, that Final Cut is "not supported" on MacBooks, but we all know that they just want people to buy MacBook Pros.

So would I have any REAL trouble running FC on the new MacBook white? Would the application refuse to launch or something like that?

I know it´s not as powerful but I don´t need that much power in my notebook. I would transfer projects to my octo-core Mac Pro, as soon as I get home. :cool:

Can anyone here test this on his/her new MacBook white?

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

21. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes. That would be quite nice.:D
    Could somebody please upload them?
    Thanks!

22. skorpien macrumors 68020

If by "anything" you mean including an LED-backlit display, then no they haven't included that in the new white MacBooks. It's still a TFT display according to the specs page. I can't comment on whether they've included a different panel or not (I'll leave that to somebody that actually owns one), but I'd suggest heading down to the store and comparing the new ones to the Alu MBs.

23. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It won't look any different.

24. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, they most likely would. The new MacBook uses a different box then the old one.

25. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I didn't know this. Pics would be nice, MacDaddy. :D