iPad Thinking about throwing in the towel and returning my unopened iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Charliebird, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I had a 16 GB iPad 4 which I really liked but I ran out of storage space so I sold it for a negligible loss a couple months ago in preparation for the iPad 5 'Air' release. Yesterday I purchased a 32 GB iPad Air at Target and it's still sitting unopened in it's box. I bought it at Target because had a 5% off coupon however their written return policy is a little ambiguous regarding opened items.

So here's is issue. I've read way too many thread post and it's making me second guess my purchase. Is 1 GB of ram really enough? Is my screen going to be off colored IE yellowish, bluish, pinkish or any colorish. Will there be light leakage. Is it going to have shadow bars on the screen. Is the iPad Mini Retina going to be 10x better. Are there going to be better deals coming up soon nearer to Christmas.

Please talk some sense into me.

2. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Yes it is enough RAM. No, screen defects aren't an issue, these complaints happen *every* release.

Before the reveal I was considering getting a retina mini but after experiencing how light but powerful the Air is I was sold.

Yes there will be some deals but they will be negligible. If you are gonna get it might as well have and enjoy it now.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not sure how you can say screen defects aren't an issue. There is more chatter here about screen issues in 24 hours than there was for the ipad 4 and Mini combined.

With the ipad 3, most people had no screen complaints. That doesn't mean they didn't have screens with discoloration. The discolored screens are pretty subtle and not everyone's eyes can catch it. There were also probably plenty of problem free screens. I saw one or two out of about 50.

If someone is expressing concerns that they might get a screen with a discoloration issue, to tell them there are no issues is misleading. It's too early to say how widespread the problems are, or whether the OP would get, or even notice, a discolored screen, but to say they don't exist is just plain wrong.

To the OP, lesson learned; a 5% deal on a product you intend to be picky about, but comes with limited return privileges, is not a deal at all. Return the ipad unopened, then get thyself to an Apple store and pay full price. If there's a problem, you will be glad you did.

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I remember it differently but ah well. Sorry for not adding 50 caveats, my implication was not that it doesn't happen but thats its being overblown like usual.. Yes it *is* possible you will have a screen defect and if you are overly particular about that buy cautiously. I'd have to say that to everyone every release if I wanted to factor in all our perfectionists.

5. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

If there's issues you can simply return it for a full refund.

The 1GB is not an issue. The device performs great.

6. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

So instead of using the product you paid $500+ for yourself and making a decision, you'll let 1,000 anonymous, hyperbolic idiots make it for you.

Makes sense.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It's not really going to be enough in les than 2 years. But then you can just do what you did with your old one - sell it for a nominal loss.

For folks that sell their old device, the RAM is a non-issue. For folks that intend to keep the device, RAM is an issue.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Sage advice.

9. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Honestly. I'm in love. Partly because I got the lte version. Would not return. Only wish the cover was lighter.

10. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Open it... Play with it... You don't like it take it back.

11. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

As long as you keep all contents of the purchase, you shouldn't have trouble returning it. The two Target's in my area have always been GREAT when needing to return something. Are the people at your store stingy or something? If not, don't worry one bit about possibly needing to return the Air!

12. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

one the retina mini is released, they'll be long lines of people returning their iPad Air. So do it soon.

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yep, take it back buy from Apple and get no questions asked return policy.
    Only way to reduce the risk.

14. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I have had none of the issue that are being mention on the boards, that doesn't mean there not out there but look at the numbers sold vs the numbers here...

Attached Files:

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Most of us complaining about 1GB of RAM are people who are more forward thinking than the typical iPad user. I want to do content creation on the iPad such as editing photos and painting. RAM is more important for someone like me than for most people. More RAM means editing higher megapixel RAW photos, more layers or larger canvas size while painting. Though I am a little concerned about the reduction in usable size due to 64-bit processing, I feel like its a good upgrade from my iPad 2. My wife and I will share and I'll get the next one all to myself with more RAM.

16. Robster3 macrumors 68000

you haven't set it up yet :eek:

17. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

i bought my ipad at bestbuy, same with my rmbp. Never had issues getting warranty service on either (ipad screen, creaking in rmbp). I also considered target, but i don't believe they're as forgiving as bestbuy (assuming you're silver). I haven't dealt with target for apple items, can anyone chime in on how opened items are treated.

18. jlinear macrumors member

I have an iPad Air with a beautiful screen. I'm thinking of returning it because, having read all these threads about troublesome displays, my Air might have a bad display even though I don't notice a thing wrong with it. I'm not taking any chances.

19. vince22 macrumors member

That's why I purchased my iPad Air at Walmart due to extended return policy for electronics purchased starting Nov.1 2013 and starting return by Dec. 26,2013, plenty of time to test iPad air while waiting iPad mini retina on nov 21 or later.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Case in point, you think your screen looks fine; I see yellow on the left, in the same place I saw discoloration on mine.

21. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I could be wrong...... but isn't a defective screen always an Apple issue that gets covered by them no matter where you bought the thing?

22. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

That gets into levels of perfectionism I can't even grasp. Even after you try pointing it out I can see nothing wrong with it.

23. imejh macrumors member

imejh

I agree. OP Apple made, and will sell, millions of these iPads and I can guarantee that there is not a 100% defective rate in the manufacturing process. Just try it and see.

24. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

If there is an issue, you can take it to any Apple Store to get it resolved. It doesn't matter where you bought it. I'd say open and enjoy. That's based on buying two iPad 4's, two iPod 5G's, two Mini's, and a 13" rMBP (plus Apple TV, and other Apple gear). The Air I bought yesterday is perfect in every sense one would expect, and while some say they have problems, that doesn't mean we all had problems.

I did return my wife's iPhone 5s because of the level issue, but Apple sent out an update that fixed it two weeks later. Oh we'll..... It's Saturday afternoon. Crack that sucker open, and feel the incredible lightness of a full size iPad! ;):D

25. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Beautifully put. Most of us love any type of discount but for an item this expensive, it isn't worth possibly cutting yourself off at the knees. Good luck & whatever you decide, I hope it all works out for you.