Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
I'm going to college for film- I was in charge of a production, I had to write a script, film, and produce it, since my phone wasn't reliable, all of the production went to hell and I wasted a year because of my failing grade and lack of film.

I don't see why a faulty iPhone can cause an ENTIRE FILM PROJECT to fall apart. Maybe you should have just gotten a ****ing moto razr until the project was completed... A smart phone isnt necessary to be any sort of project leader... I know plenty of people in charge of things that don't need an iPhone.

And to be honest, I was having a hard enough time believing that you have had 11 iPhones, and then once you said you lost a "whole year of college" aka over $15,000, due to "unreliable cellphones" that just made me stop believing your story all together...

I'm calling serious BS on this one

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
^^^^^READ ABOVE^^^^^
I was in charge of a film and my phone was the means of communication. believe the damn story or not- it's true. maybe not a year of college, more like 8 credit hours- which still sucks

I did read your comment above, and that was exactly what I was responding to. If your phone (of any brand) is that integral to your plans, then you have no excuse for not having your numbers backed up and not having a backup phone on hand. That way if your phone stops being reliable, then you have your backup phone right there. I don't know man, whatever, I don't wanna lecture you. Some of your anger and frustration about this is totally understandable, but it definitely seems like not nearly 100% of it is justifiable. Anyway, I don't think I have anything else constructive to say, so I should probably stop replying, best of luck.

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I don't see why a faulty iPhone can cause an ENTIRE FILM PROJECT to fall apart. Maybe you should have just gotten a ****ing moto razr until the project was completed... A smart phone isnt necessary to be any sort of project leader... I know plenty of people in charge of things that don't need an iPhone.

And to be honest, I was having a hard enough time believing that you have had 11 iPhones, and then once you said you lost a "whole year of college" aka over $15,000, due to "unreliable cellphones" that just made me stop believing your story all together...

I'm calling serious BS on this one

Umm... well... as for college, I'm taking only the film classes now, and may basics later- also, I have family who works for the college as a "Big wig" i guess you could say so my tuition is free. as for it falling apart- I am a man that requires time and I have none of it. so the year of college minus the film equipment cost about $500:D

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
attention20whore3lm9.jpg

MrChurchyard

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
^^^^^READ ABOVE^^^^^
I was in charge of a film and my phone was the means of communication. believe the damn story or not- it's true. maybe not a year of college, more like 8 credit hours (4 classes in 2 semesters)- which still sucks

Does the film end with you taking responsibility for your own life and stop blaming a phone for your problems?

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Umm... well... as for college, I'm taking only the film classes now, and may basics later- also, I have family who works for the college as a "Big wig" i guess you could say so my tuition is free. as for it falling apart- I am a man that requires time and I have none of it. so the year of college minus the film equipment cost about $500:D

I'm a Project Manager (in IT) and it is absolutely essential that I have my phone with me at all times. I use the iPhone for mail too and that's extremely important.

3 weeks ago my iPhone stopped working (my own fault actually). I took it in to be repaired and was told that it would take up to 14 days. Obviously, knowing that I MUST have a phone, I then made alternative arrangements. Email available on my laptop (not as convenient but sufficient).

My point is that it's not anyone's fault but your own if you allowed the situation with your iPhone to disrupt your college work. If it was THAT important, you would/should have had a backup plan.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
A couple of screenshots of random errors does not 11 replacements make. IMHO it looks more like there's some other sort of problem, e.g. excessively high expectations or user error. Or you may be the world's unluckiest guy, who knows.

However, given your fortunate situation re; your tuition fees etc., maybe you should give some thought to your position compared to that of a lot of people from lower-income backgrounds who have to skimp, save and run up huge debts to go to college, or maybe to the millions in the world who don't have enough to eat every day, and just buy another type of phone.

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I'm a Project Manager (in IT) and it is absolutely essential that I have my phone with me at all times. I use the iPhone for mail too and that's extremely important.

3 weeks ago my iPhone stopped working (my own fault actually). I took it in to be repaired and was told that it would take up to 14 days. Obviously, knowing that I MUST have a phone, I then made alternative arrangements. Email available on my laptop (not as convenient but sufficient).

My point is that it's not anyone's fault but your own if you allowed the situation with your iPhone to disrupt your college work. If it was THAT important, you would/should have had a backup plan.

To be honest- I didn't realize how important it was till it was too late- the first few times it happened- hey I'll postpone the shoots... I can get it done but around the end availability of cast members fell apart- thing is- life hasn't been easy since i've had this thing- things could have been avoided- but the problem... I just don't give a crap anymore. I'm buying something different- (More $$$$!)

skeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
London, England
I'm highly suspicious of your claims. 11 replacements? I haven't even had one, nor do I know of anyone else that has had 1. The problem is clearly with you.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm going to college for film- I was in charge of a production, I had to write a script, film, and produce it, since my phone wasn't reliable, all of the production went to hell and I wasted a year because of my failing grade and lack of film.

So you're all important in this film production and need a reliable phone. After replacement 3 or 4, why the F didn't you get a different phone? I'm tending to agree with whoever said you might be doing something wrong along the lines of a faulty outlet or something. But dude, it's your responsibility to realize if you have a POS phone. At some point, you should've taken responsibility and said "OK, this sucks too bad. I'll just get something else."

I have no idea what would cause such an aberration (aside from this stuff being made in China), but you should've just asked for a refund way earlier and then gotten a BlackBerry or something.

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
James,

I feel your pain, but I think instead of support, you're about to be flamed my man.

Called that one... Everyone else- I'm telling the truth, I don't care if you believe me- Honestly I don't give a crap. I'm just letting you guys know my story- I have a love for Apple like most of you, and no, I can't say I'm one of the unluckiest persons in the world- but I can say I thought you guys would understand... but think of this- it's not happening to you.

cantuchristoph

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
OP needs to relax. Between the first post and the screen shot of an email where you are apologizing for being "on edge"...I think you may be blaming some life issues on a phone. Everybody goes through some $#!T man, don't put so much pressure on yourself.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You probably should just go with a different phone. You are probably nitpicking. Probably? What am I saying, you just said you've had 11 replacements. Quit looking for something to be wrong with the thing.

And roll credits.

Seriously OP, I no longer would remember you as the guy who had his leg burned from his phone. You're now the guy who has found 11 things wrong with 11 phones and claims that it correlates to your failing effort to complete school. 6 years of college leading groups with NO cell service in my own home and somehow I managed to earn a couple degrees.

OP, you're full if it and if I were Apple I'd count my blessings that legal had you sign a waiver. 1,2,5 faulty phones ... ok. 11? You are looking for reasons. Now are you trying to find one that will catch fire? Do you need another Time Capsule?

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
OP needs to relax. Between the first post and the screen shot of an email where you are apologizing for being "on edge"...I think you may be blaming some life issues on a phone. Everybody goes through some $#!T man, don't put so much pressure on yourself.

I've always been on edge... most likely always will be- and I admit I'm a perfectionist- but the post title says it and anyone can agree that it is ridiculous.

I do gotta chill- I agree on that.

And roll credits.

Seriously OP, I no longer would remember you as the guy who had his leg burned from his phone. You're now the guy who has found 11 things wrong with 11 phones and claims that it correlates to your failing effort to complete school. 6 years of college leading groups with NO cell service in my own home and somehow I managed to earn a couple degrees.

OP, you're full if it and if I were Apple I'd count my blessings that legal had you sign a waiver. 1,2,5 faulty phones ... ok. 11? You are looking for reasons. Now are you trying to find one that will catch fire? Do you need anoter Time Capsule?

I'm a Longinotti- That's my last name, I'm not going to ruin it with a made up story- this is real, That is all. Edward from Apple Customer relations is going to give me a call tomorrow... I'll post what happens- Good night- I gotta get some sleep.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I've always been on edge... most likely always will be- and I admit I'm a perfectionist- but the post title says it and anyone can agree that it is ridiculous.

I do gotta chill- I agree on that.

I think this goes beyond just "you gotta chill", I think you have some significant mental health issues. This is not meant as an insult, this is an honest opinion. I think you have a desperate need to always have something wrong going on so that you can blame your personal problems on that external thing instead of where the problem really is, inside of you. And more importantly, I think you have an extremely desperate need to have people pay attention to you. I think you should probably see a therapist. Again, this is not meant as an insult, it is meant as an honest suggestion. Your thread is about airing you feelings, so I feel it's justified to give you my honest opinion. I highly doubt that problems with your iphone is what drove you to start this thread, I think having all of us simply respond vigorously to you and give you any type of attention is the one and only thing you were seeking.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I think this goes beyond just "you gotta chill", I think you have some significant mental health issues. This is not meant as an insult, this is an honest opinion. I think you have a desperate need to always have something wrong going on so that you can blame your personal problems on that external thing instead of where the problem really is, inside of you. And more importantly, I think you have an extremely desperate need to have people pay attention to you. I think you should probably see a therapist. Again, this is not meant as an insult, it is meant as an honest suggestion. Your thread is about airing you feelings, so I feel it's justified to give you my honest opinion. I highly doubt that problems with your iphone is what drove you to start this thread, I think having all of us simply respond vigorously to you and give you any type of attention is the one and only thing you were seeking.

As someone who does, I'd agree. I don't have that flavor of intensity, but people need to get treated for that stuff. I never have appreciated people who got irate over a problem when it did nothing to solve it, and now that I can control myself, it REALLY bugs me when people around me are like that. I don't mind a little good-natured steam-blowing. It's fun to curse at your own computer and make a joke out of it. But getting all irate does nothing but cause health problems. For some people, it's a bullying thing (OP doesn't sound like that). But others it's just a reaction that happens.

I've been pissed off at police in general for about six months after some guy backed into me and I got the ticket because the other guy lied. But to show an extreme point of "this doesn't fix anything," actually screaming at some cop the next time would NOT solve anything. Holding a grudge against this individual cop and using it for comedy with people I know is hella more therapeutic. :)

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008

Maybe you're right... the best decisions weren't made... and some things weren't handled as well as they could have been, but I'm on my 11th phone... I don't want this anymore- I'm going to best buy tomorrow- I'm buying the pre. - maybe not... idk- something will happen.

and lastly- I'm not as pissed as you guys think I am, I'm just tired of all of the replacements- I want an iPhone I can keep for more than a month. really- thats all.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK

I didn't know the 3G did video.

Seriously though, just go and get a different phone. Or I'll sell you my Original 3G iPhone. No problems with it at all.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I didn't know the 3G did video.

Seriously though, just go and get a different phone. Or I'll sell you my Original 3G iPhone. No problems with it at all.

The 3G doesn't (officially). He was just mentioning the necessity to have a working phone to be reachable by all the people involved in the production. If you need to ask a producer about a set location, budget question or whatever and can't call him, that makes the job extremely, um, impossible.

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
The 3G doesn't (officially). He was just mentioning the necessity to have a working phone to be reachable by all the people involved in the production. If you need to ask a producer about a set location, budget question or whatever and can't call him, that makes the job extremely, um, impossible.

Exactly- Thanks:)

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
^^^^^READ ABOVE^^^^^
I was in charge of a film and my phone was the means of communication. believe the damn story or not- it's true. maybe not a year of college, more like 8 credit hours (4 classes in 2 semesters)- which still sucks

Sorry dude but, as a film-maker myself, I know that a broken phone doesn't mean the production goes to crap. Got a computer? Use it. Email etc. Use payphones to call the crew. Better still, go to them and talk to them. Didn't run well on the day? That's not your phone's problem, it's your planning that is off. Film didn't turn out so great? Blame yourself and the Director. NONE of this blame can even slightly be placed on the phone.

I do feel your pain, and I'd be as annoyed as you are if I had to have my phone changed 11 times. But saying it caused you to lose that credit is just you in denial. Suck it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.