This site should be called MacHaters.com

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Rogifan, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Seriously every front page story these days is full of negative comments. The negative overwhelmingly outweighs the positive. Every product sucks, every experience is horrible. Tim Cook needs to go. Everyone else on the executive team needs to go. And every story has someone complaining about lack of Mac updates. This is no longer an Apple rumor site it's an Apple hate site. :(

2. cube macrumors G5

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, mainly from newer posters too. Makes you wonder why they joined.

Every week, my ignore list seems to grow exponentially. I find it's easier to block the loquacious haters and chisel myself a tasty little safe space. That way my blood isn't likely to boil whenever I scroll through the most inoffensive article.

Besides, they end up getting suspended/banned after a while. Constantly posting the same stuff when it's not contextual/relevant doesn't get them very far.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

And just to be clear I'm not saying this site should become Apple Insider full of kool-aid drinkers that think Apple can never do anything wrong. But there has to be some sort of happy medium. And when someone is consistently posting nothing but negative comments one has to wonder why are they even here? If you don't like Apple products why are you hanging out on an Apple centric website?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like it's been a pattern of sorts for at least a while:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/too-much-hate.1000461/

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/general-negativity-on-the-forum-moved-from-ipad-forum.916225/

6. Relentless Power, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think other forum members join the 'Band Wagon' hate per se, when they see someone else intentionally trolling. Most of the forum members who Apple hate are the ones who have nothing to contribute to the article or just want to spread hateful, frivolous posts.

And @keysofanxiety is correct. It appears forum members with less than 100 posts are the one's who are the worst.

7. cube macrumors G5

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Another example just today. Front page article about tech reviews of Google's Pixel phone talking about it as if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Does Android Central post front page stories of The Verge, WSJ etc. reviews of Apple products? Honestly if I want to know what The Verge thinks of a new Google product I'll go to their website. There's no point for that to be front page news other than it will generate a lot of Apple bashing posts. It's not like nobody would know about this phone or that reviews dropped if not for being on the front page of this site.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2016 ---
    But that was slightly different. I'm not talking about negativity towards fellow posters. I'm taking about comments being overwhelmingly negative (unless it's about a product from someone not named Apple). I'll go on record right now: when the new Macs drop later this month the reaction will be mostly negative and the majority of comments will be complaining about something.

9. cube macrumors G5

There are faithful Apple customers with legitimate concerns that their needs stopped being met.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Meaning that therefore they need to jump in and put Apple down in one way or another anywhere they can?

11. cube macrumors G5

Meaning that Apple thinks they know what is best for customers, so their only recourse to demand action is to complain repeatedly.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure how doing that in random comments for random articles on a rumors site would accomplish that.

13. cube macrumors G5

Is everybody supposed to use twitter?

14. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I just put those people that start to stick out on my ignore list. And glance over the arguments of those who come with great constructive feedback.

This is still a fanboi site, or at the least, enough people that really do care about their product, the company and the services they get from it. Me included.

While there are moments that Apple can really be a frustrating one thing after the other kinda thing. Everything else from it is just fine. I really enjoy the products I have, the customer support they gave me, and all that.

Otherwise I would have moved to Windows.

But yeah, the trolls that just come out because they get attention and feed the drama just by being negative and sucking others into that, I have no problem if people be a bit more generous with the report button so the staff can give these guys a well deserved infraction for not really contributing within the spirit of the community.

It's easier to post a strong opinion, a concern, or point out something that's not going well. Compared to someone posting 'yeh, its going great for my phone today'. It's one of the reasons I try to be supportive of some people simply asking for help. They posted for a reason. I don't need to be sarcastic and reply: learn how to use the search feature OMG!' .. And why I try to tell others that my experience with something they ask 'does that happen to you too', is 'no, actually, it goes pretty well for me, i dont have that problem'. Hopefully this will show people it's really not just negative stuff.

Someone posting a thread "the battery on iphone 7 sucks" .. doesn't mean it actually sucks. It's their personal one off experience. The 99% that dosen't post "well, it doesn't for me" is something you won't read. The two people from the 1% that goes "yeah for me too!" give the impression it actually sucks, and tomorrow someone posts "everybody has been complaining about the bad battery, #batterygate!" ... Negativity is relative. But it doesn't mean there is a lot of positivity.

I dont think this site is a machate instead of maclove site. There's just a bunch who troll, and a bunch who have legitimate concerns, and a whole bunch of people who have no issues with Apple.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Just glance over them or put them on ignore, it's best you're going to do.

16. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Actually while the negativity is tangible (and unavoidable imo) I see the most poisoned, bitter and hateful comments come from supposed Apple "loyalist" never missing a chance to bash other's different opinions.
    "utter nonsense" "morons" used on regular basis, failing to maintain the mutual respect level necessary for regular discussions.
    But this is the internet so...keyboard phenomenons rule.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

I agree with you where I really don't see a point having news about the Samsung Galaxy Note7 recall for people to jump on and if the Google Pixel is great or not. Why not just focus on Apple news?

Putting news about other brands breeds fanboyism/fangirlism and divisive threads that makes some youngsters having to choose sides. They are just gadgets. This isn't politics or a religion. Heck, Apple is still partners to both Google and Samsung in some ways. All partners in crime.

Actually from my one month ban for whatever lame reason, I went from bashing Apple AND Samsung to now using products from them and actually enjoy it. Thin line between love and hate. Different brands each have their forte for me. I like Apple computers but still use Microsoft Windows when I need to. I like Samsung TVs. I like different appliances from LG. I was a big fan of Panasonic during their heyday. I use Motorola, LG, Nokia, Samsung, and Xiaomi as phones. I prefer Google Android and their services. I like Sony gaming. Planning to get a Sony PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

There is no real winner. Use them all. Enjoy them all. You're the real winner here if you can utilize all their strengths.

18. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

The whole Apple Watch topics are a clear example of this "decadence". In both senses.

19. torana355 macrumors 68020

Some people just don't get it, Apple have made some questionable decisions the past few years and this is pissing off some of the long time Apple Fans. But unless you only say great things about Apple your not suppose to post on this site?

20. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

22. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

MacRumours as a whole should take a little responsibility as well. At times some of the rumours they write up are so obviously false or blatant product advertising. A little thought before the rumours are written up here would really ease the issue. Then we'd have every article being serious and worthy od discussion.

I am not saying the articles in general here are bad. They are not, most are good. But there is a small selection of articles that are just reposting junk runmours or blatant product advertising. We all know which articles these are.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It's why I rarely come here anymore. I'm so sick of the whining about everything. It's no better than Facebook.

24. martint235 macrumors regular

martint235

I'm relatively new to Apple having spent years using Android. As an Android user I did used to wind Apple users up a lot about their locked down environment etc but having finally got an iphone (the SE as there isn't really an equivalent Android phone due to the screens arms race) I appreciate that the Apple environment is quite good when you want something to "just work" rather than have fun changing ROMs etc.

What I do find interesting about MacRumours is the sense of entitlement among Apple users. "Your latest update/release does not entirely meet MY needs and therefore I'm going to slag you off". I can't think of any other company or market where this happens: "Bosch your latest washing machine didn't have the 750rpm spin cycle that is my favourite, you've completely lost your way since Mr Bosch died".

Someone up thread says that complaining repeatedly is the users' only recourse but it isn't. A far simpler action is just not to buy*. However reading various posts on here I picture people with dual screen monitors typing complaints on one screen and clicking Buy on the other.

*Yes I appreciate that you've bought into a closed ecosystem so it could be expensive to leave but you could do it as part of your upgrade cycle: new phone time, change to android and use alongside iPad etc until that needs replacing.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

For example ... ?