Those new MBP's had better be cheaper...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWest, Feb 2, 2008.

1. JWest macrumors 6502

Or else I might have to (*gasp) give my money to Dell!

Seriously, check out how much you get for your money:

Dell XPS M1530
    My Compone(PRODUCT) RED
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7800 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
    Windows® Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED
    High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 Inch LCD (1680x1050) & 2.0 MP
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
    56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    High Definition Audio 2.0
    +
    3 Yr. Warranty
    +
    4 Yr. Accidental Damage protection and Lojack for laptops

How much for all of this?

$2409!

I mean, I'm willing to pay a premium for Apple's computers but geez, that's like a $1000 (or perhaps more) premium for the MBP!

I'm one of those whose waiting for the new MBP's but they better be darn worth the money...

... and the wait.

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

3. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Go ahead and order your Dell then. Mac doesn't do cheaper. You pay for better parts, operating system, and customer service.

If money is the issue go for a Dell and suffer with vista.

4. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Haha, you better get a Dell then. I see the new MBP with faster processors and maybe a few tweaks but I don't see a price drop as they will sell anyway. Apple products always cost more than competitor products with similar configurations but you can't run Mac OS X on those products.

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

we have all seen this a thousand times before. You will ALWAYS get more 'specs' for your money with a dell, acer, hp, whateverpc..ect....

now write out a list of pros and cons for each, about everything BUT Ghz memory, speed, ram, or resolution...

weigh that out and see which wins.

in my opinion i pay extra simply for the design.

enjoy lugging your BRICK(dell) around.:D

6. James L macrumors 6502a

If that's your logic don't wait... buy your new Dell today!

7. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

You seem to have your prices a bit off. I just threw together the same Dell and it came up as $2,574. The MBP came up as $2,949 without Apple's overpriced RAM (so just add the cost of buying two 2GB sticks).

What you seem to have missed is what you can't change.

• The Dell doesn't include Wireless N
    • The MBP comes with a remote
    • You will most likely not get your Vista disc (or if you do get something, it will be just a backup/restore disc)
    • The Dell had no Gigabit Ethernet
    • The Dell comes with one less FireWire port than the MBP
    • The Dell has no infrared
    • The Dell has no MagSafe
    • The Dell has no backlit keyboard
    • The Dell doesn't include the enhancements in the trackpad that the MBP has
    • The Dell looks pretty thick
    • The Dell doesn't come with iLife ($79)

8. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

The truth is that Apple is not cost effective. I know because this is something I personally have struggled with in the decision in deciding to buy a MBP in the future. The reason why I am waiting for a MBP update, is so that the gap between Apple and the other laptop manufacutring companies lessens to the point where I can justify spending a bit more for the apple product.

As it stands now, the gap between the PC manufcator laptops and the Apple laptops are too wide to make purchasing an apple laptop (in my opinion, note this) a justifyable buying decision. However, with a penryn boost and a possible videocard upgrade, it would make that gap a little bit less.

Remember though, even though you shouldn't base your decision on asthetics, looks do count for something.

I'm sure you'll be happy with Dell. And if you don't like Vista, it's not like you can't reformat and put XP on it (or ubuntu, or Solaris, etc)

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Agreed with all this. I'd also throw in a point for buying refurbished whenever possible. There's no way I'd have paid $1300 just to have an Apple laptop capable of burning DVDs; getting a 3rd party refurb gave me the same machine for $300 less.

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Not to mention dells are a POS computer.

My last job issued us all dell core duo laptops ... the road warriors on our project dells would fall apart after about a year or so.

I would never buy a dell if I had to get a PC computer. They just don't hold up.

11. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Well Played SIR!
    I think thats all that needs to be said!

12. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

13. McScooby macrumors 6502

Just wait...

until Penryn MPBs are launched and compare similar specs!

Apple never depreciate their confusers in the way other manufacturers do (discounting refurbs of course)

the gap will narrow!!

14. kabunaru Guest

If it had OS X, I might go for it but since it has Vista, no way. :p

15. Matiek macrumors member

16. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Well come on now, I hate Vista. I want a Mac. I'm just saying... you can't deny how overpriced the MBP's are starting to look.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Eh, they've always been overpriced. In the end, an Apple computer will always be more expensive than a matched PC computer, simply because you're buying it from Apple. Best you can do's to save the extra money, buy refurbished machines, or ignore Apple altogether and go with the PC.

18. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

You must have spec'd a different system. I can send a screen cap if necessary. Also the dell does have wireless N. But don't get me wrong, I think the MBP is a better computer and I would much rather have a Mac- I'm not trying to defend PC's and shoot down Apple. I'm simply saying, the price differences are quite a bit more shocking than they used to be. It used to be about a $300 price difference. Now it's closer to $700-$1000. That's pretty rediculous.

19. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

its just like a bmw vs a honda. you get what you pay for. and becase one is more well designed and just plain runs better, they can jack up the price and do as they please. The world knows we all pay an extra penny for luxury.

go with the macbook pro. put your 'mac' blinders on and dont look back. its well worth every penny saved and every penny spent. i promise.

20. kabunaru Guest

Well, you just got to at least wait two more weeks ;):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=426144

21. dmb3886 macrumors regular

Guys take this into consideration. The windows operating system...how many companies MAKE COMPUTERS FOR IT. We got Hp, Gateway, Toshiba, Sanio, Dell, Ibm, alienware,.. the list goes on. Now who makes compus for the macintosh operating system? Apple. Only apple. They are the only company that makes computers for it...thats a lot of **** they have to do, especially considering all their software **** that they make. Obviously they will always be a bit laggy

but still
    they have the class and the higher standard

22. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have a new Dell for work purchased about November. Its not bad overall, but its not that good. Vista is just really bad right now and we can only hope SP1 will make it better. My largest complaints;

* Strange wireless on/off button on the left side of the notebook that I keep hitting by mistake.
    * Slow boot times (probably a Vista issue)

and from Vista...

* Crashes- lots of them, sometimes crashes when you plug the AC adaptor and switch from battery power (Could be a Dell power management issue)
    * General freezing and crashing of applications
    * Security safeguards galore that are constantly asking me if " its ok to continue"
    * Vista generally seems doggy compared to XP and this is on a fast machine. Sure I run all the aero visuals and stuff, but you are supposed to.
    * Can't seem to remember the two main wireless networks I connect to, I am always having to disable/re-enable the wireless card to get on the network

Office 2007 is kinda nice though

23. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Nope, I just checked and it was the right system.

[​IMG]

24. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Hehe, that's Vista for you.

As a side note, I'm not actually thinking about getting a dell, I just stated that to make a point at the high price of the MBP. I honestly can't wait to get my MBP- I just hope that they either cost less or pack a lot of punch for the amount of money I'm gonna be payin'.

25. dmb3886 macrumors regular

and if you have to go windows, dont ever go to dell go at least to hp..ive had nothing but good experiences from them

my dv4000 is still going strong after 3 years having been dropped 4 feet and manhandled from my rents