Those Not Getting An X - Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neteng101, Nov 2, 2017.

?

If you don't plan on getting the X, what's your primary reservation?

1. FaceID

22 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Notch

37 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Price

86 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Other - please explain

61 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. None - I am getting the X (this is for you others that just feel the need to vote!)

138 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Waiting for next year's X Plus

54 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I have a 7. The Plus never has been nor will be the phone for me - too big. I would like the extra screen real estate of the X.

The one reason I'm waiting and will pass this cycle is FaceID. I felt burned with TouchID 2 came out in the 6S and I had my 6. That was the single biggest reason I upgraded to the 7 from the 6, just could not bear to live with 1st gen TouchID tech anymore.

I realize this might mean waiting beyond next year's refresh even. The 2 other big factors I've heard often spoken by those not upgrading are the notch and price. Just wondering where everyone stood, who's not upgrading.

2. pl1984 Suspended

I voted other as I am taking a wait and see position. The iPhone X will need to offer something very compelling in order for me to replace my GS 7 Edge. Not because I'm an Android fan but rather my GS 7 Edge does all I need from a smart phone which is why I don't own a GS 8.

3. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Not that big of a change at all. I’m sticking with my ip7plus 256gb

4. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I voted Face ID, but it's also the notch and the price, but take those away, and I still wouldn't buy it because I don't like first gen Apple products. They are test beds for new technology, and I hate/can't afford to be a beta tester. I don't have the patience for that anymore. I don't even pre-order new versions of current models - for example the "S" versions of phones. I wait until all the manufacturing issues, and teething issues have been resolved before I purchase. I can wait a few extra months to get a new phone.

If I had the disposable income to buy new phones at will, it would be a different story. An exception to this would be the iPhone X. There's only one thing that I desire on this phone - the display. Honestly, I would probably wait until the reports of burn in, or lack thereof, started to roll in...

5. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

I chose the iPhone 8 Plus instead. The notch and 1st iteration of Face ID did it for me. Honestly, I hate getting burned with 1st gen Apple devices. They almost always have some major compromise that is fixed in the S/2nd version.

The X is just unproven to me. The barrier to entry is very high for what benefit? It still runs iOS.

6. pl1984 Suspended

What is it about the display that would have you buy the iPhone X?

7. barkomatic macrumors 601

I didn't vote because I have one on the way, but I may *return* it depending upon how I feel about the notch. There are some things you just need to see in person and for me the iPhone X is one of them.

8. dannyTO macrumors regular

dannyTO

7 Plus still runs perfectly for me, and I can't see myself dishing out $1700+ CAD

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Too expensive, lacking a bottom bezel and being able to track our faces now are not improvement features.

Same chip + Camera as the 8+. Shame shame.

10. blcfla macrumors regular

How about all of the above? I'm just waiting and seeing how it plays out til next year when everything gets fine tuned. Got a good deal on an 8+ that didn't end up costing much out of pocket so was a good upgrade for me from the regular 7.

11. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

I should have put that in my post. I like OLED displays. I'm not sure how it will look on Apple's implementation of it, but it seems promising.
    As another poster mentioned, I am am not a fan of BIG phones, so I wold have to see how the phone felt in my hand too.

12. jmarttu24 macrumors member

Simply put, it's an over priced phone. Other phones offer the same thing, minus face id, that are cheaper. The only thing apple has is the IOS. I will stick with my 6. It does basically everything, that is useful to me, that the new phone does. I personally hope this new phone tanks and it's a wake up call to apple

13. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

LOL I love that the poll is getting trolled by people buying the X. It's the #1 response by a factor of 5!

14. neteng101 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've always been a "S" version buyer except for the original 2G and the 6. It was the 6 that made me regret getting out of the S cycle... not a bad phone but it felt a bit obsolete after just a year. The 4S is probably one of my favorites even but its battery life was pretty dismal and if it wasn't for that, I would have even skipped the 5S. 5/5S 4-inch screen was just too tall and narrow for my liking, it didn't really add much just made for a taller display compared to the 3.5-inch.

Only reason I did the 6 was the screen, and that's the main temptation with the X.

15. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Not getting one mainly due to size. I'm waiting for iPhone SE X.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

My 128GB iPhone 7 still runs like a charm and does everything I need it to and more. I really have absolutely zero reason to spend more money on a new device.

I wouldn’t even have bought the 7 except it only cost me $100 with a trade in promotion from Verizon.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not getting the X due to smaller keyboard. Not willing to give up my 8+ keyboard for what the X offers.

18. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

19. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'd say the main reason was price, I saved EUR 250 buying 8+.
    The second is the display, I prefer the aspect ratio of 8+ with a wider screen. I think they'll make a plus version of X in the future, hopefully below $1000 and that's when I'll get my new phone

20. LunarFalcon macrumors regular

My 7 is still practically brand new, and I find the X to be entirely too expensive for what it offers.

21. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I am sitting this out as I want to see how 1st Generation Face ID works out.

Not saying it is going to fail — not at all — I will jump aboard as soon as it is a proven stable technology.

Hopefully next year!

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Apple can’t even nail an iOS release, let alone a phone with so much new tech. It’ll still be decent but not interested in paying that much to live through the bumps and bruises.

23. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

24. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

I have one coming, we'll see how I feel about using it after going from a + model to the X... If I don't like it, I'm selling it.

25. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Main reason being the price. Second reason being a reluctance to switch from touchid to faceid without hearing some real life user feedback on how well it compares.