Those Not Getting An X - Why?

If you don't plan on getting the X, what's your primary reservation?

• FaceID

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Notch

Votes: 37 9.3%
  • Price

Votes: 86 21.6%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 61 15.3%
  • None - I am getting the X (this is for you others that just feel the need to vote!)

Votes: 138 34.7%
  • Waiting for next year's X Plus

Votes: 54 13.6%

• Total voters

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I have an iPhone 7 Plus that I'm happy with but like every year I was interested in the X when the rumors started coming out. My biggest hangup with it was the fact that I'm so used to the plus sized device that I was worried the X would be too small. I have no problem using the 7 Plus with one hand and never even use reachability, so I have no desire for my iPhone to be smaller. The price here in Canada kind of sealed the deal for me and I decided to skip the preorder and wait until next year for the X Plus.

Today I just had a chance to check out the X in person and it's a gorgeous phone. The display feels so close to the surface it's crazy. I liked Face ID and found swiping up feels more natural than the home button. Personally I like the look of the notch. The phone doesn't feel as small as I thought it would be. It's still narrower than the plus, but the fact that so much of it is screen almost tricks you a bit. I still might wait until next year, but I definitely want to go back to the store and play with it some more.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Just can't see a way it's worth it over an SE. The cameras and screen are an improvement (and FaceID is absolutely sensational) but when I think through my workflow - email, iMessage, some snaps - there is nothing in it worth it to me.

I could probably get by with an iPhone 5S, to be blunt. For those who game, or take gorgeous photos, or have 10,000 Twitter followers, I'm sure you're benefitted by the phone. For me, I just can't justify that expense for what is, besides logging in, an identical UI.

convergent

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2008
Why is the battery percentage a "Massive deal-breaker"? Seems like a nice thing, but deal breaker?

Most of the reasons why are completely valid on paper, but I think the X is quickly becoming an exercise in "on paper" specs or features or cons not playing out in real world use. FaceID seems to be a hit, the notch is a non-factor in use, and it turns out the home bar is far superior to the home button.
You know there is a thread of people returning their X who disagree with all you said. It's different and done people will like it (or tolerate it), and some will hate it. I know me and I know that the notch would drive me crazy when watching videos in landscape. I also think it's way over priced for a non plus sized device.

Reactions: ABC5S

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
My number one issue is the fact that I've been burned by Intel on my 7 Plus. I won't get another iPhone until they decide to either get Intel up to par or make up with Qualcomm. Perhaps make modems themselves in house?

I was part of the group that had a bent 6. I had a TSMC and Samsung 6s, I saw the battery differences. I saw how they chose TSMC in the long run. I saw how they fixed the bending issue. My TSMC 6s was part of the battery recall as well. I've had bad luck with the Apple lottery.

Next year if there is nothing compelling, I'll get another android like I did this year and hang onto my 7 Plus for an iOS device.

I do wonder if this price trend is going to stick...

Reactions: ABC5S and pat500000

mindblowz

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Even though i did manage to get my hands on my 256GB SG, i don't feel very satisfied with what I personally paid for.
1- Even though i managed to pre order on 27th at 3:13 (due to site lag), still haven't got my pre order. Still stuck in between 21-28th of NOV and haven't been bumped up.
2- Had to reserve on 4th of NOV 6:00 AM to get my device.
3- Setting up took me while. The encryption code for my backup for some reason took a bit while. Tried alot of combinations but took me a while.
4- I still feel like it is an overpriced phone.

Reactions: ABC5S

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I would guess AT&T and T-Mobil here in the US and the the majority of rest of the world uses GSM.
So you're saying that GSMArena's users are everyone who's on AT&T, T-Mobile, and others?

I never heard of the site, so I wonder what I'm missing. Is it just as stupid as, say, Android Authority?
[doublepost=1509938053][/doublepost]
Price. Not that I cannot afford it, I can. I am in the highest tax bracket, but I cannot justify spending $1,000 on a phone. My 6S was still working great til the latest iOS update which has totally crippled my phone. As much as I have loved my 6S (best phone i have ever owned), I may leave the Apple world. They can fool others, but I'm not spending $1,000 for old technology, even if it's packaged cleanly.
You can still get an SE like mine. Runs iOS 11 just fine.

Wanna buy it? :p
[doublepost=1509938134][/doublepost]
For me, I just can't justify that expense for what is, besides logging in, an identical UI.
You could've said this when the iPhone 4 was new.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

Martyimac

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
So you're saying that GSMArena's users are everyone who's on AT&T, T-Mobile, and others?
I never heard of the site, so I wonder what I'm missing. Is it just as stupid as, say, Android Authority?
Couldn't tell you. I was on AT&T years ago and frequented any site that dealt with AT&T. But that was a while ago, don't know what the site is like these days.

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party

It's it a more news / rumor oriented and definitely advertising driven. I will hit it to check out reviews on new devices. Mostly Android but covers them all. They did a decent review of the 8/8+.

It isn't MR. Different objective. Still it is worth checking out.

mittencuh

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
Price. Not that I cannot afford it, I can. I am in the highest tax bracket, but I cannot justify spending $1,000 on a phone. My 6S was still working great til the latest iOS update which has totally crippled my phone. As much as I have loved my 6S (best phone i have ever owned), I may leave the Apple world. They can fool others, but I'm not spending $1,000 for old technology, even if it's packaged cleanly.
Have you updated to iOS 11.1? My 6s was pretty bad on iOS 11 but 11.1 has been a major improvement.

Reactions: BarracksSi

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
I finally got a chance to check out the X in person and while I really like it, I still think I’ll just stick with the 6S for another year.

If I did the iPhone upgrade plan I’d bite, but I prefer to own my phone outright. I’ll let everyone buying the X beta test it for me and give 3rd Party developers time to give their Apps native X support.

Still, it’s a really nice phone and I was tempted, but my 6S serves my purposes just fine.

Reactions: Martyimac

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Main reason outside of price is I’m in love with the SE size and want an X in that size class - the X is just too big. Stretching out your fingers to manipulate those bigger phones can’t be good for your tendons long term and am happy with the small size phone. I have my iPads when I want to sit down and do more in-depth work.

Reactions: uzubairu

jd369

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011
I looked at it at Best Buy this weekend. Not enough wow to make me drop 700 or 800 bucks on it.

back2thefu1ure

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I had the X and returned it. Severely over rated phone. Plus coming from the 7 plus its too small. I will hold out for the X plus next year, in the meantime my Pixel XL is doing great.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I decided to get an iPhone 7 last May when the rumors of the next iPhone would start at $999. That was before rumors of two models being released. Regardless, I don't mind. I got a (product)red 7 which I really like how it looks with the aluminum body. If a future model of X is down to the regular iPhone prices, including the Apple Care, and they bring back TouchID, I will have no problem deciding to get one. If $999 is the norm for this model, I will never get one. I have a 256GB for my music right now, so I would really be looking at $1150 + $199 + tax. That is insane. My 64GB iPad Pro was substantially less than the iPhone X 64GB.

Reactions: Rhonindk