Those Not Getting An X - Why?

If you don't plan on getting the X, what's your primary reservation?

• FaceID

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Notch

Votes: 37 9.3%
  • Price

Votes: 86 21.6%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 61 15.3%
  • None - I am getting the X (this is for you others that just feel the need to vote!)

Votes: 138 34.7%
  • Waiting for next year's X Plus

Votes: 54 13.6%

• Total voters

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
1. Wanted a better camera back in September and was experiencing issues again with my 6S so bought the 8+.
2. Reached my budget limit for new tech right now. (Not as big a factor as #1.)
3. Other things going on and my capacity for new tech is temporarily maxed out. (Ditto)

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
My iPhone 7 Plus isn't a year old yet and it does everything I need it to, why would I waste £999+ on something that I kinda already have?

When it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go for SE or standard sized 8 (or whatever's getting released next year), I don't need all these fancy features.

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
My iPhone 7 Plus isn't a year old yet and it does everything I need it to, why would I waste £999+ on something that I kinda already have?

When it's time to upgrade, I'll probably go for SE or standard sized 8 (or whatever's getting released next year), I don't need all these fancy features.
Fair statement. If someone is going to purchase $1000 iPhone, they should ask themselves what do they want from this new iPhone or hay intrigues them the most. In your case, your iPhone 7 Plus does everything you need it to and you don't see the value in the iPhone X currently, and there's nothing wrong with that. You made a sound judgment call.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
There is literally nothing a phone could do that would make it worth over £1000 to me. Nothing.

I genuinely can’t think of a single feature a phone could have that would make me shell out over a grand on it. And the X certainly doesn’t have anything to make it worth than much to my mind.

And no it’s not about not being able to afford it. I always buy my phones outright. The X just isn’t worth the extra £300 over the 8 to me.

Reactions: Bethanie21

ARizz44

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
How is the keyboard smaller when the screen on the iPhone X is bigger? I'm confused....
You must not let the 5.8” vs 5.5” numbers confuse you. On paper, the screen of the X would seem obviously bigger. But it is a different aspect ratio. The screen is taller than the Plus, but more narrow. See below:
image2.png

Edit: My apologies, I see now that your question was answered above.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You must not let the 5.8” vs 5.5” numbers confuse you. On paper, the screen of the X would seem obviously bigger. But it is a different aspect ratio. The screen is taller than the Plus, but more narrow. See below:
View attachment 730765

Edit: My apologies, I see now that your question was answered above.
Thanks for the images to help explain. All I had to do was go and dig out my iPhone 6 and use that keyboard for a while to realize I am unwilling to reduce the size of my keyboard a single millimeter

Reactions: ARizz44

winmac2015

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2015
Sigh ... the screen on the X isn't bigger than the Plus. It's taller, but it's not as wide....

So many people moving from a Plus are going to be disappointed when this particular penny drops....
I mean I think it was a reasonable question to ask, don't see why you needed to sigh. Too much work for you to use your fingers to type a response?

martin2345uk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Manchester, UK
I’m sticking with my 6S for now as like some others I just can’t justify spending a grand on a phone.. it’s kind of a psychological barrier to me. Plus my 6S does everything I need for now. Would consider the X next year if it gets cheaper.

Jonathantuba

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017
UK
www.wessex-tubas.com
I got an 8 Plus, but it did not really excite me, although it was good phone. Actually I could not see it being any appreciable improvement on my current 7 Plus, so I returned in the 2 week period and ordered the X. I was initially a bit concerned about Face ID as I wear glasses, but having seen reviews am not so concerned about that now. I just wonder if I will find the screen too narrow coming from the Plus and if the notch will annoy too much - but will find out when mine arrives in just over one week.

I am mostly buying it for the improved 2x camera with image stabilisation. That is the camera I tend to use most.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I mean I think it was a reasonable question to ask, don't see why you needed to sigh. Too much work for you to use your fingers to type a response?
Apologies, you are correct. I just hate misinformation and this is one of the biggest bits of misinformation doing the rounds. The X doesn't have a bigger screen, it has a taller, thinner screen with a not-as-practical aspect ratio.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
My answer is getting an X because.. WHY NOT?

TWO YEARS we have been waiting for it. It's like getting pre-order tickets for The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens and tearing up the tickets the date it is shown..

Before iPhone 7 was ever released, rumors of the iPhone X was swirling. OLED and close to edge-to-edge was heard even before the Galaxy S7 edge was released. Back in Dec, it was codenamed Ferrari..

It's like we have gotten this far with the anticipation, let's not stop now when it will be officially released tomorrow.

Happy 10 years, iPhone. It won't have another celebration for another decade.

Screw it, let's do it! All-in.

I, V, X, XX, XXV, XXX, L, C

My SE needs an X at the end to feel more complete. Anniversary, baby. ;)

ARizz44

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
It was absolutely a reasonable question and I think the numbers alone for the screen sizes are very misleading. The sigh was likely because this has been covered to nth degree over the last several weeks. But don't let that deter you from asking questions because that is what the forums are for.

The forums are a little sensitive at the moment lol. You have:
- People anxious to get their X tomorrow
- People pissed that they weren't able to get a day one pre-order delivery date
- People excited about the X are getting grumpy with those who are denouncing it
- People used to the Plus who are not pleased with the screen ratio (longer and more narrow)
- People pissed about the notch, skeptical of Face ID, pissed Touch ID is gone, leery of the home bar & gestures
- People spending hours defending the things above because they feel they will love the X and it is the best
- People angry at those who ordered multiple phones to either re-sell or choose one color and return the other
- People fired up over reviews. Great reviews must mean bias. Poor reviews must mean bias. Lol
- People upset over the price of the phones
- Instead of Apple vs Android....we have divisiveness within our own user group over the 8 vs 8 Plus vs X

That is only slightly scratching the surface. This place has been a war zone :D

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016
1) I don’t really want to be a beta tester. This is a pretty big change for Apple, so I’m fine with letting everyone else find all the bugs and wait for the X2.
2) The modem. I know no 5G towers in my area are active, but I would have preferred to have one with a 5G modem.
3) Availibility. I can’t buy one tomorrow anyway.
4) I’m still really happy with the performance of my 6S.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Writing this on my 8+.

The X feels like a 1st gen product to me from what I’ve seen. Not a fan of the notch, but I think I could get used to it in portrait mode. Problem is, I do like using my phone in landscape mode from time to time (especially watching YouTube) and the way the notch is handled there borders on disastrous. I’m sure it’ll get there by iOS 12. Apps also need to be updated. In my experience, that takes about a year to get everything going. Still, that’s basically a year of me paying to be a beta tester.

Then there’s the issue that the X is really not a plus sized phone. It’s a stretched 6/7/8. While the screen is technically bigger than the plus on paper, it’s misleading. The X behaves like a 6/7/8 where apps are concerned. A lot of that lovely OLED display is lost due to corners, the notch and the virtual home button. The screen doesn’t have the width of the plus either. I watch a lot of 16:9 content and for that, the plus is superior.

As for the rest, I don’t care about bezels. I know, heresy in this day and age, but I really don’t. Face- or touchID - it’s the same to me. I consider it a side grade, not an up- or downgrade.

Bottom line is, the X isn’t really an upgrade over the 8+ in my eyes. The 8 on the other hand? Hell yeah! Big improvement. But I’m a 100% plus user and the X just feels like I’d be paying more for less. Not a good deal. If Apple introduces a plus sized X+1 next year, then I might be tempted to upgrade earlier than I would normally do. We shall see.
Pretty much my case.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Voted Other. Bought an 8.

Pretty much like others:
  • Price tag vs feature set: for my use cases OLED is not important, same Bionic in all of the phones, camera is not that important as phone is used to capture something on a whim (vs my DSLR for "serious" photography), I rarely use emojis, sure as heck not going to use animojis.
  • Do not want to be beta tester for FaceID. Or how app developers will deal with The Notch. Let the kinks get worked out by others
  • iPhone XI will be the true evolution of the new paradigm (but even then, I will probably not pull the trigger until XII or XIII)
  • Oh and: did not want to deal with the drama re: pre-order, will I/won't I get it day one, if not, how far out, etc.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
It's brand new tech for Apple, rather wait until they work the kinks out. I would actually prefer the 6/7/8 body body with an OLED screen.

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm trying Google for a year and re-evaluating. I'm really concerned that Apple has priced me out to get what I want. That being said, Pixels aren't much cheaper anymore.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Don't really need it, doesn't do anything my 7 already does. Have other stuff that would be better to spend $1600 (the price in my country) on, like OLED 4K TV or a vacation. I'll wait till next year to see what happens.