Those Not Getting An X - Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neteng101, Nov 2, 2017.

?

If you don't plan on getting the X, what's your primary reservation?

1. FaceID

22 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Notch

37 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Price

86 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Other - please explain

61 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. None - I am getting the X (this is for you others that just feel the need to vote!)

138 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Waiting for next year's X Plus

54 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. pl1984 Suspended

Bezel would have been fine with me. I'm not understanding the bezel hate. IMO the notch, at least with full screen content like video, is worse than a bezel.

2. nilk macrumors 6502a

It’s not the hardware of the notch (I think that was the right choice), it’s how they handle it in software. And it’s not too late to fix these things, I just think Apple has made it clear they want to accentuate the notch and make it noticeable, so I don’t see them deviating from that any time soon. It’s an odd choice, and not what I expected from Apple and the type of design I’ve come to expect from them.

There are a lot of good things in the iPhone X, as well as a lot of rough edges and things that need to be fixed (again, in software). I choose to wait and see where Apple goes with and what the ecosystem brings us.

In any case, the iPhone X is not the phone I’ve been asking for. All I’ve been asking for is updated smaller phone (whether that is based on the SE body or not). Yes, I have submitted this feedback directly to Apple, among other requests.

3. pl1984 Suspended

Nothing odd about it. By doing it this way they can say they have an edge to edge to edge to edge phone. While technically correct the notch makes it a little misleading.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

Just bought two 8+'s on a BOGO deal from AT&T. What do I need the X for?

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Got the 8+ because it offers all the features that I care about (including TouchID). The fact that it costs less as well is just icing on the cake.

6. kazmac, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Beyond the price, I upgraded to a 7+ earlier this year and already dropped $1k :rolleyes:.

Another reason which ties into price/the latest and greatest etc: I don't use all the bells and whistles on iPhones anyway so the camera improvements etc. mean zip. Going forward, cheapest iPhone that works with my vision will be fine, and the rest of that money will go toward a Mac which I know I will get more use/value from.

7. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I couldn’t justify renting my iPhone 7 for a year and trading it in for no cash back. I’ll sell it next year and get the Xs.

8. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

Initially because the App store let me down and my shipping time was 2-3 weeks, but I ordered anyway, then gave it some thought. A few hours later, I cancelled my order. I have a 7, and it's working fine. I'm happy to hold onto it for another 10 months and let X buyers test it so I can get the more refined model next year.

9. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I always buy “S” phones. I’m waiting for the Xs. Right now I have an 8, which is similar to the 7s

10. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

I jumped off the S cycle with the 6 and didn’t like it. I became a beta tester.

11. snowman1 macrumors regular

I absolutely love the design and edge-edge display of the iPhone X. If I had a lot of disposable income, I would totally get it, but I really can't justify spending $999 on a phone (I couldn't even convince myself to get an iPhone 8 to replace my iPhone 6). I would love to be on the frontier of technology, but for my purposes (which are pretty basic), the iPhone 7 is perfect: relatively cheap price (esp. since I bought it after the introduction of iPhone 8/X), IP67, 3D touch, brighter wide color gamut display, stereo speakers, OIS on the non-plus version, taptic engine/home button, and speedy processor. I try to keep my phones until their batteries start deteriorating (as opposed to upgrading every year), so my thinking is that even with an older processor, the iPhone 7's battery will die long before its processor becomes a problem.

12. nilk, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

nilk macrumors 6502a

Again, I'm talking about software choices, not the hardware.

They could make different choices in software and their app development guidelines (i.e. do more to obscure the notch so that, for example, apps with white/bright/non-black backgrounds don't flow into to the left and right of the notch). Different software choices wouldn't stop them from calling it edge-to-edge. I'm actually ok with being able to zoom photos/video all the way, and that especially makes sense in augmented reality apps where you want as much screen coverage as possible, it's your typical app that looks undeniably awkward. Sure, I'd probably get used to it and it's likely going to be a non-issue for practical usage, but why shouldn't I want this to be more refined?

13. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

The iphone 8 to me does everything I need it to do. Apps are optimized for the 8's screen and has pretty much the same internals as the X. Plus 256gb without breaking the bank.

14. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I got an 8 Plus because of the plus part, the X is too small for me, I want a bigger screen and bigger footprint.

15. Rhonindk, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I stopped by and looked at an X today.
    Couple of thoughts:
    Dislike the screen layout - it is thinner, taller, and is not actually 5.8” usable. Much less.
    Feels so-so in hand.
    Price for me out the door with ACare and tax was just about $1500 - 256 model.

I am going to skip it. For those who got it, enjoy.

16. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Happy with my 7 Plus, my current bill, and waiting to see next years phone.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

A followup:
    We got to see one at the store today.

My wife totally wants an X instead of an 8 Plus, and I'm extremely tempted to get one, too.

Man, it's a sexy phone.

We might get a pair of 256GB models. We'll think about it.

18. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

The notch
    The smaller width than the Plus
    Face ID (does anyone find it a bit creepy the X is looking at you?)
    The fact it is first gen
    Nothing compelling about the phone from last year's model except maybe AR but even that is no biggy.

Next year's iphone software also needs a big upgrade, it's become boring.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    But it's still being out polled by all the other reasons combined.

19. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Because I don't like fingerprint-prone glass rears and the silver X is like that next to the space gray. It's also not the best in any critical area while still demanding the highest price.

Essential Phone is half the price of an X and looks just as nice. If you are a value shopper because the phone is essentially a flop and can live with the poor camera, Essential wouldn't be such a bad alternative. It's notch isn't as ugly and the size is about the same as the X. Both are fingerprint magnets though.

20. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Not buying because
    1. The notch
    2. AMOLED screen burn in potential
    3. AMOLED tilt axis color change
    4. Don't need the face ID security
    5. Happy with my current phones cameras
    6. Happy with my currrent screen
    7. Don't really need the upgraded "bionic" chip
    8. While I can afford the $1K, I don't see it as money well spent.

YMMV

21. Jukens macrumors regular

I am done beta testing first gen devices hardware and software.

22. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am still on the fence. I went to a few stores to compare it side by side with my 6+ and even with a samsumg galaxy s8. Its hard to decide because as nice as it feels, I guess being with iOS so long I feel I will get bored of it (thats any phone though after a while).

I also have been very intrigued by the gear frontier smart watch, and it has limited usage with an iPhone. The OLED screen is nice, but even with true tone turned off it has more a yellow tint to it vs my 6+ screen. Face ID would be very nice vs. the fingerprint sensor on the back of the s8. However, right now I can buy an s8, get a gear 360 camera (better gimmick than animoji), and even a frontier smart watch for close to the price of an iPhone X.

Im torn. I will report back with whatever I decide because a new phone will be a gift to myself for the holidays and I am happy that supply isn't as constrained as reported before.

23. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

GSMArena's poll
    [​IMG]

I can fall in any of those four categories but I'm content, so I probably fall with the 81% not getting it.

24. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I was planning on getting it(I have a 7 now) but I'm in Verizon's program until next year(unless I pay off the remaining balance on my phone this year). I want to switch the the IUP program for the simple fact that includes AppleCare but that would mean paying off my balance at Verizon and trying to sell my old phone which is a hassle.

Think ill just wait it out until next year and hope for all the hardware bugs/more apps to be optimized.​

25. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

For me, I went back and forth deciding at first the iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus. Of course I decided on the 8+ because on the following reasons.

1. Need larger screen for my aging eyes
    2. Larger keybored for comfort (large hands)
    3. Larger screen comes with more PPI as the 8+ does over the 8
    4. Teething problems with the iPhone X will be hopefully mostly gone ( first generation )
    5. Perhaps Apple will give us IP68 next time
    6. Brighter screen that is close to the Samsungs galaxy screen
    7. Smaller camera bump closer to the Samsung‘s galaxy but I’m not holding my breath
    8. Wish that it would not take two buttons to power off or two buttons to make a screen shot
    9. More color options
    10 camera is good but it needs improvement in lower light