Those two freaking black bars...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tobiasfunke, Oct 3, 2012.

1. tobiasfunke macrumors newbie

Are easily the most aggrivating feature of the iPhone 5. Why haven't app developers updated their apps faster? Haven't they known about the screen size for at least a month? I have 125 or so apps, about 8 of them are formatted for iPhone 5. This is somewhat aggravating.

2. iALLOUT4eva macrumors regular

iALLOUT4eva

I agree it is annoying I have a black/slate one and its ok but on my GF white one it is very noticeable. Also I have a feeling that some of the older apps will never be optimized for the i5 screen

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Most apps I use normally have updated. A lot of updates are stuck in the review queue. I have two waiting there right now, one of mine went through.

I have the black one, the bars really are not noticeable at all though. My one complaint is the touch area is limited and keyboard is moved up, so when typing on a letterboxed app I often "miss" the spacebar because I hit only the bottom half (Which registers as just below it.) That was extremely annoying.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

My favorite apps like iDOS, iMAME and a countless other pulled apps will never get updated. It's unfortunate that a lot of apps still available will never get updated because of loss of interest from the developer or they might have too much other stuff going on to do so.

5. jeblis macrumors regular

As a programmer, I want to slap you.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm still waiting for Google to update their iAd adapter for AdMob Mediation. I'm sure other app developers have other reasons, such as deciding what do with the extra screen space.

7. tobiasfunke thread starter macrumors newbie

As an app consumer I am looking for answers. Is it because of the difficulty of expanding the screen size, or the app store acceptance process? What exactly? Speak your mind brother.

Before any idiots regurgitates nonsense like "U mad bro?" or the like. No, I am not mad, bro, this is a minor inconvenience akin to a cloudy day.

8. zeyank macrumors member

A developer who submits an update to Apple without first testing it on a real device would be a moron. Therefore, the earliest that 99.99% of developers would have had access to the iPhone 5 would be the same as the general public. We (developers) didn't know the exact dimensions of the screen until the public did.

It hasn't even been two weeks since launch and you are complaining? It takes that long to even get through the Apple approval process.

Let me break it down for you so you understand:

Developer gets an iPhone 5 -----> Start fixing the app in question (1-10 Days coding work) -----> Submit and wait for approval (10-14 days standard wait, but it is probably more like 14 - 20 days right now).

You can start complaining when the developer of your app doesn't have an update in the App Store after 50-60 days, any earlier than that and you are being unreasonable.

9. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I find it hilarious the companies that have done it too. Ally bank but Starbucks ballsed up big time lol

10. zeyank macrumors member

It is going to be unfortunate that some apps you enjoy won't get updated. But I think for the overall health of the App Ecosystem, this is awesome. If a developer has lost interest or stopped supporting their app, you will know about it down the road because it hasn't been updated for iPhone 5, and you can spend your dollars on an app that has. A slow weeding out of apps that are no longer cared about (by the dev) is a good thing.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) You bought the phone knowing app updates would take time and this is the way the apps would be shown until then.
    2) The fact that the iPhone would be taller was not fact until the announcement about nine days before it went on sale. Not every app is made by someone like Rovio or CNN who has either made a ton of money on apps or has enough dough from other parts of business to update in a hurry.

12. tobiasfunke thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with what you said but even Rovio's new game isn't updated for the iPhone 5.

So does this minor issue boil down to Apple's less than perfect relationship with app developers?

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I doubt it. Bad Piggies was probably long in development before Rovio knew there would be a bigger screen. Since I'm assuming there would be a target launch date, it wasn't going to be messed with because of just the people with a new iPhone or iPod touch. Get it out, then go back and update all the apps.

I don't even buy Angry Birds games on iPhone any more because having the ginormous iPad screen makes it much easier.

Software development takes time. Even when you think you've got everything covered, some stupid little problem will pop up and ruin your year. That's why I really couldn't stand it in college and couldn't stand that part of it at my last job because I wasn't making the other $20,000 a lot of people do to put up with that nonsense.

14. zeyank macrumors member

Games are a different beast than regular apps, if a regular non-game app takes a few days or a week to make ready for iPhone 5, multiple that time by 5 or 10 for games.

Boil this down to Apple being a secretive company, the developers have access to the new device when the public does and the update clock starts then, no sooner.

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

because you bought a white iPhone 5 ;)

----------

I understand that graphic-intensive apps may require more efforts. But an app as simple (in the interface) as Whatsapp which only uses standard iPhone interface elements still haven't seen any update for the iPhone 5? That's not very good.

16. kjparfekt macrumors regular

kjparfekt

I'm frustrated that billion dollar companies like Nike most likely wont update their apps for months if at all to the new size of the iPhone 5. It could be worse though I guess since I came from Android and Nike has been promising their fuelband app would be coming soon to Android since its launch.

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What I want to know is what is holding Google up with the YouTube app? Why is it that we have to suffer with a mediocre Web App for YouTube, or a letterboxed video that's double letterboxed because its widescreen?

18. iALLOUT4eva macrumors regular

iALLOUT4eva

This!!! Google is a top of the line company they should be on it!!!

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's all about secret squirrels

20. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Probably because Google doesn't want to encourage the purchase of the iPhone 5. ;)

21. aleni macrumors 68020

give it time. probably a month or two, most of major apps u use will probably updated to support the longer screen.

22. jj47 macrumors regular

This is why I didn't get the white iPhone. The black bars show up horrendously on it.

Also you have 125 apps? How the heck do you navigate through all them. First think about deleting more than half of that crap.

23. scrap104 macrumors regular

scrap104

Anyone remember the transition period from the iPhone 2G/3G/3GS to the iPhone 4 retina display or the ongoing iPad 1/2 to iPad 3rd generation? It'll take a few months.

Using Angry Birds as an example:
    iPhone 4 release: 6/24/2010
    Retina update: 9/30/2010

iPad 3 release: 3/16/2012
    Retina update: 8/2/2012

24. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It's really not a problem. Your apps still work 100% correctly. I'd rather developers take their time than rush it.

I don't get why people demand everything works perfectly on day 1. Users mentality has to change because it's just so damn unrealistic.

----------

Google are a third party. It will be ready when it's ready, but knowing Google it won't take them too long.

25. ixodes, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

iPhone Fragmentation

It seems that this is the iPhone equivalent of "fragmentation".

I have the same concern. Several of my favorites do suffer that same fate that you speak of. Plus in lieu of an incentive to address the problem, developers won't.

Apples dominant ecosystem is beginning to fail. Breaking apart over the very problem Apple claims to have been the reason why they stubbornly clung to the diminutive 3.5" size for all these years. The problem of inconveniencing the developers to adjust to changes.