Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I understand games will take some time to update but why is Whatsapp taking time. Surely it cant be that hard, considering flixster has already updated for iPhone 5.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
A week after the launch of the iPhone 5 and at least 30% of my apps have been updated. I don't think that this is bad at all. Give it a month, and most apps will get updated. At least the ones we care about. Older apps will probably never get updated.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Are easily the most aggrivating feature of the iPhone 5. Why haven't app developers updated their apps faster? Haven't they known about the screen size for at least a month? I have 125 or so apps, about 8 of them are formatted for iPhone 5. This is somewhat aggravating.

Some of your apps will NEVER be updated. It will take some time for the ones that will be.

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I understand games will take some time to update but why is Whatsapp taking time. Surely it cant be that hard, considering flixster has already updated for iPhone 5.

I find it annoying that Whatsapp haven't updated yet, surley it can't be that hard and they have been top of the charts for god knows how long before Bad Piggies came along!

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Exactly why I switched back to Android. This just confirms that Apple will be stuck at this screen size/resolution for years or until they completely change the way apps are handled. I upgrade my phone every year so OS fragmentation does matter as much. 1920x1080p will be the norm next year and all apps will fill the screen just fine.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
i haven't followed the rumours but how are apple gonna handle the ipad mini if one is released? They can't stretch the iphone screen or shrink the ipad screen so surely its gonna be a new resolution, therefore more fragmentation??

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
A developer who submits an update to Apple without first testing it on a real device would be a moron. Therefore, the earliest that 99.99% of developers would have had access to the iPhone 5 would be the same as the general public. We (developers) didn't know the exact dimensions of the screen until the public did.

It hasn't even been two weeks since launch and you are complaining? It takes that long to even get through the Apple approval process.

Let me break it down for you so you understand:

Developer gets an iPhone 5 -----> Start fixing the app in question (1-10 Days coding work) -----> Submit and wait for approval (10-14 days standard wait, but it is probably more like 14 - 20 days right now).

You can start complaining when the developer of your app doesn't have an update in the App Store after 50-60 days, any earlier than that and you are being unreasonable.

Then how we're some apps ready within days of the phone launch? (Serious question)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
What I want to know is what is holding Google up with the YouTube app? Why is it that we have to suffer with a mediocre Web App for YouTube, or a letterboxed video that's double letterboxed because its widescreen?

Get the Jasmine app!

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Also you have 125 apps? How the heck do you navigate through all them. First think about deleting more than half of that crap.

125 apps isn't that much. In fact, Apple claims that the average iPhone user has over 100 apps installed.

I have 140 on my phone now, and they fit into two homescreens and I'm not even using the 5th row on either homescreen. Folders are great for organization. Now, there are about 30 that I use very regularly, and the rest are more sporadic use, but I do use them. Before I jailbroke my 4S, I had about 230 apps installed, but after jailbreaking, and then after getting the 5, I didn't install many apps that I don't use. The 140 on my phone now generally see use, except for a handful of games that I only play every once in a while, but that I want to have on my phone since I can't install it away from a wi-fi network if I do decide to play it.

BTW, of the 140 apps on my phone, 52 of them are optimized for the iPhone 5, including all the ones that I really care about, with the exception of Tapatalk. Because of that, Tapatalk is annoying me, but I'll deal.

Last edited:

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK

It depends on how the app is coded, for some developers it may be a case of changing a few lines of code and it's done, for others it may require an entire rewrite.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Is it just me or were the devs actually quicker to update their apps to the new resolution when iPhone 4 was released compared to now? :confused:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Before any idiots regurgitates nonsense like "U mad bro?" or the like. No, I am not mad, bro, this is a minor inconvenience akin to a cloudy day.

Standard procedure for any negativity towards an Apple product is deflect, deflect, deflect. People are so quick to make excuses or blame the user but for those out there who want to just view this as a purely selfish consumer then Yes this sucks because when you do a "Sort by Date" in your itunes App list then more than half of them haven't been updated in over a year or don't even have retina support.

It's not the downfall of Apple or anything but it is an annoyance that Apple users felt was exclusive to those "other brands".

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
All this fiasco makes me wanna take my 4s out of its box again!

Is this a joke? Would it be better on your 4s?

----------

I think people need to simmer down a little. It takes time to get these things done. I'm impressed with how quickly my apps are being updated!

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
As an app consumer I am looking for answers. Is it because of the difficulty of expanding the screen size, or the app store acceptance process? What exactly? Speak your mind brother.

Before any idiots regurgitates nonsense like "U mad bro?" or the like. No, I am not mad, bro, this is a minor inconvenience akin to a cloudy day.

Short answer, no, developers have not had over a month. Most of them, with the exception of some big players like Facebook, Twitter, etc, did not have the specifics on the bigger phone resolution and how to enable it, until after the iPhone 5 was officially announced. Was that like 3 weeks ago, maybe?

Plus, the queue for app approvals is at least 1 week. And not every app is easily "stretchable", especially those with custom graphics.

Yeah, I wish more apps were iPhone 5 optimized, but as a developer myself, I'm finding it not a business-critical thing. It's not like there is a good way for app purchasers to know whether an app is iPhone 3.5" or iPhone 4" optimized before purchasing the app anyways. So, why would they want to spend time doing this, unless they had some free time? Just some thoughts from the other side of the fence.

Is it just me or were the devs actually quicker to update their apps to the new resolution when iPhone 4 was released compared to now? :confused:

No, it's not just you. When iPhone 4 was released, people were genuinely excited about the @2x retina graphics, and all developers had to do was pixel-double their graphics. Now, with iPhone 5, developers actually have to re-do their UI layouts altogether. Not as easy.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Exactly why I switched back to Android. This just confirms that Apple will be stuck at this screen size/resolution for years or until they completely change the way apps are handled. I upgrade my phone every year so OS fragmentation does matter as much. 1920x1080p will be the norm next year and all apps will fill the screen just fine.

Really? Most apps I've seen for android are shocking. Like they were designed by a 5 year old, using a head wand.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Give me a break.

What's your job? Does anyone ever say to you "why does it take that long? Why can't it take half that time? You must not be good at this."

That's annoying no matter what your job is.

The last sentence in your quote was never said, but it seems like the developer that posted automatically assumed that it was implied. No need to get all defensive.

At my job, or any job, if I'm asked "Why does it take that long?", then I will give the person a straight answer. There is no reason to be offended by a simple question that you ought to be used to answering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.