Thoughts after switching from Samsung Note 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JAG21979, Oct 8, 2016.

1. JAG21979 macrumors member

I turned in my beloved Note 7 and decided it was time to make the move to iP7+. I've been an Android user for many years since my first Android, the HTC Eris in 2009. Honestly, I've been disappointed with Samsung over the last two iterations of the note series. My note 5 from last year had issues with the screen freezing, so I had to get a replacement. We all know the issues with this year's note 7, the release has been a disaster. It was time to bite the bullet, and try the iPhone. I picked up an iP7+ in matte black. It's been very easy and straightforward to use, buttery smooth operating system (much faster than touchwiz, even faster than Nova Launcher), and better audio output to name a few. Opening and closing apps are so much faster it's mind boggling! There are some things I do miss however: fast charging, wireless charging, ability to pause when shooting video, camera settings in the native camera app, numbers on the native keyboard and ability to adjust the size of the keyboard, notifications at the top of the screen, & notification LED. These things just made my user experience easier and more convenient. The one thing that has me truly convinced the iPhone 7 Plus is the best phone money can buy is the battery life. I've attached a screenshot of my battery use and I'm absolutely blown away. I would only get 4 hours of screen on time at the most with Android, but over 10 hours with 25% to spare is ridiculous! I've not really tweaked any settings to save battery with the exception of using auto brightness.
    IMG_0078.PNG

Great job Apple!

2. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

FWIW, the 10 hours of usage you're seeing is not equivalent to SoT. Tap one of the applications in the battery usage menu to see how much on-screen time is actually being used. I still have no doubts that the Plus offers better battery life than the Note though.

I'm about to pick up my iPhone 7 and agree that the speed/fluidity is unmatched. I don't see myself using it as a daily driver, but appreciate just how refined iOS is. (also, I'm actually a fan of how they've integrated widgets-- the SmartThings widget is awesome).

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I find the biggest thing Android users seem to miss when switching to iOS is the USB storage capability of the phone. You can plug your phone into any computer, drag media to and from it, and play/access that media from the phone. Did you find yourself missing that?

This is probably the #1 Android feature that I wish Apple would adopt. The problem is Apple likes to have control over the user experience, and I think this would go against that so it's unlikely to happen.

Luckily there are some apps that help a bit, like Documents by Readdle and Goodreader, but you generally have to use WiFi to transfer data with those and it's slower.

4. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

My first (and last) Android phone was also the HTC Eris and my frustrations with that phone made me an Apple customer, probably for life...

5. normanfox macrumors 6502a

you are late to the party but welcome. iphone is a real deal, not hype or marketing machine that some claim.

fast charging is like steroid. you get quick energy boost but it damages your health long term. of course, samsung just wants to wow you first. who cares how your phone battery is like in a year.

6. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

I wish Apple would adopt the ability to have multi users. I have this on a Moto G4 and it comes in handy.

7. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Why can't iPhone users admit when there is a hardware advantage on an Android phone? Fast charging is awesome and as soon as iPhone users get it they will be singing the praises of fast charging. Since you don't have it now, you say it doesn't matter or isn't good. Next year when you have it, you will be singing a different tune.

Just like when you get an AMOLED display next year you will be all saying how great it is.

The Samsung flagships have significant hardware advantages over iPhones. PERIOD. iPhones do a better job of integrating the hardware/software and that has its advantages no doubt but it is ridiculous to say things like fast charging isn't great. It's freakin' awesome. And you will say so next year when you get it.

8. normanfox macrumors 6502a

I know. the explosive feature of Note 7 is a hardware advantage, PERIOD.

what is the point of having the best hardware if it does not work fluid with software? what count is user experience, which requires both hard/soft ware to work together. something that android fans do not get.

wireless charging is a great feature, no doubt but without affecting the battery quality long term. apple approach is to offer feature when they think they get it right, not rushing out half-baked feature.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Sure, I'll admit I'm looking forward to fast charging. Having actually used a Nexus 6 with fast charging for a few weeks, it was nice. But the iPhone charges pretty fast with an iPad charger too - sure, not AS fast, but pretty fast. I think the jury is still out on whether or not it really damages the battery as much as people think. I know I really like my iPhone battery because even after 300+ cycles, it had 99.7% original capacity left. My Note 3 had 60% after 150 some cycles?

Things I missed from Android at first? Notification light, sd card, didn't feel like I had to use a case because plastic phone wasn't as pretty, etc... I grew out of all of those pretty quick.

Do I want an AMOLED screen? I don't know - I'd love a black theme and a Moto X style notification light (few pixels in the middle of the screen). But reading text on a sharp iPhone screen is really nice vs a vibrant cleartype looking OLED.

But yeah you're right, seriously. I am looking forward to fast charging and hope the 8 has it :).

10. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure we will be getting fast charging after the exploding Note phones- it will depend on what the consensus is about the cause. I think Apple may be getting ready to go ahead with their own wireless charging though.

11. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

You mean like the antennas on the iP4? Or the bendable iP6 aluminum casing?

Seriously dude, the Note7 batteries were defective just like the iP6 aluminum casing was defective and the iP4's antennas were defective.

The Note7 isn't the only phone with fast charging - Droid Turbo/Turbo2, Nexus 6, Moto X PED, S6/S6E/S6E+, Note5, S7/S7E, etc.

When you get it next year, you will be giddy over how great it is. Just sour grapes now b/c you don't have it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2016 ---
    What are you using to measure this? There aren't any software apps that can assess your battery health in any meaningful way.
    Since the S6, the Samsung phones are very nice looking. And the Moto X line has been nice looking from the beginning.

12. normanfox macrumors 6502a

what gates are you talking about? I owned and kept iphone 4 for two years before upgrading to 5. I also owned and kept iphone 6 plus for 2 years before upgrading.

I had no issue with whatever gate you said. that is not the same issue with Note 7 now, rushing out new features (fast and wireless charging).

bending and losing signal are not even in the same league as burning on airplane.

13. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

The AMOLED screen is a matter of taste. I prefer it to the iPhone screens but I can see why others might not favor it.

Fast charging is not a matter of taste. It is better as long as you are going to get a new phone every 2 years. If you are not, then the battery life may take a hit but I move on to new phones after 2 years so it isn't a problem for me.
    Then you are well aware of the problems with those devices and I don't need to educate you on those.

And please, if you think no one can tell how disingenuous you are, well you are wrong.

14. normanfox macrumors 6502a

you missed the point. of course I am aware of those gates. but in practice, it did not affect my usage or experience at all. if it affected my daily experience, I could have sold it earlier.

here is to your list: iphone 5 scuff gate, iphone tint/yellow gate. does it affect my usage/experience? none.

15. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

The problems with those phones are well documented.

As for the Note7, out of the 2.5M sold worldwide, less than 100 had issues. Far, far, far more iP4 and iP6 had issues.

Now it is possible that had the Note7 not been recalled, more would have shown themselves to have issues. However, compare Samsung's very quick, open and honest recall with what Apple did - deny, deny, deny, deny. To this day Apple refuses to admit publicly that they used an inferior aluminum alloy in the iP6. Yet they made sure to correct that problem with the iP6s, proving they were aware of the problem yet refused to correct it for the iP6.

As for the iP4, I doubt you are ignorant of the issues with it and are just denying, denying, denying like Steve Jobs your hero, lol!
    No I didn't miss the point. Your point is idiotic.

16. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

And based off this response, did you personally have a Note 7 with a defective battery that affected your usage or experience?

17. normanfox macrumors 6502a

so you don't have a strong argument and resort to personal attack?

18. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

coconutBattery for iPhone (only usable on Mac now) and when I was rooted on Android, I honestly can't remember. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but yes, the Moto X was very nice looking (I liked that phone a lot while I had it).

19. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I used fast charging on my Samsung S7 Edge for 6 months, daily. Never one issue.

In light of Note 7s burning at any battery charge and in any state of charging or rest, I'm not sure how fast charging would be directly contributable the the battery issues.

20. normanfox macrumors 6502a

Jesus, did you read MR front page today? "AT&T is considering stopping all sales and replacements of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 due to ongoing safety issues"

that is NOT small as you made it sound like. no one halt sale of iphone due to gates that you mentioned.
    fast charging contributes to more heat. and heat and fire are associated.

21. TrueBlou, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Welcome to the club and thank you for the critique. (Could you put paragraphs in next time though ;) )

It's not quite as good as fast charging, but if you buy an iPad power supply (and I do recommend the Apple ones) you'll cut your charging time damn near in half. It's perfectly safe, they are designed for it.
    Every little helps.

Neither here nor there, but I had the granddaddy of your first HTC, (still have it in a drawer here) the HTC Hero, which I think the Eris was based on. I liked it at the time, though it didn't get as much use as my iPhone.

22. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

[QUOTE="

fast charging contributes to more heat. and heat and fire are associated.[/QUOTE]
    Again. There is no issue with the S7 Edge series.

The batteries are the issue with the Note 7s. Not charging method.

23. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Not a personal attack, it's a fact. You saying well it didn't happen to me so therefore it wasn't an issue is just plain old stupid. Those devices had design flaws. Apple refused to admit the design flaws until they had no other choice with the iP4 and they still to this day refuse to admit the design flaw in the iP6 although they clearly know about it b/c they corrected it with the iP6s.

24. normanfox macrumors 6502a

you refuse to understand. No halting sale, no recall happened due to those gates that you mentioned. yet Note7 got recall and halting sale happens as we argue right now.

yes, iphone 4 and 6 had issues. no one denies that but it is far from impacting usage/experience.

25. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Yes it is b/c clearly some people think white antenna bands running across a gold or pink aluminum case is beautiful, lol! There is no reason that they couldn't make those antenna bands blend in better on those 2 colors.
    Oh no, I understand completely. Deny, deny, deny just like your hero Steve Jobs, lol!