Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
Those people who lines up to get the latest product from the Apple store - good for them and i hope they have enough stock to keep them happy. Once you get the product(s) - The excitment will last no more then 5 mins because you are used to iOS.

IMHO - I find much easier to order online & do other thing in my own times rather then line up in a long queen.

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
I did it once when the 3GS came out. I was 2nd in line, got interviewed and on the local news. I haven’t done it since, and won’t do it again. You’ve really got to have absolutely no life to wait in line for something like this, just wait until its on the shelf in a few weeks. It’s not like Apple’s going to ONLY sell them tomorrow and never again, lol.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
It's not for me to tell others how they should be spending their time. I might not "waste" hours waiting in line for a new phone, but I waste a lot of time doing other things that most of you would consider unproductive.

Last edited:

Sam_S

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
Everywhere
Lol the stores in NZ are so quite the sales reps actually have to sell... Decided against spending $2100 today, god I hate our exchange rate...

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
“A Fool And His Money Is Soon Parted” - as the saying goes. And even in the age of Disposable-Income-Digital-Millenials it still holds true. Here they all are being told to await their new life-coaching Camera/Screen. Take a day off work. Get home. Unbox. Switch it on. Realise it’s just the same thing but bigger/smaller and carry on tapping as before. It’s not much of a life really but it’s life as they know it. Never having known of life before the global reliance of “electronic-twerpery”. Where will my digital chum take me next? No idea mate. Do as you always do. Head down. Eyes glazed. Stare at your (currently inferior) screen, when you get to the front of the queue, look up fleetingly. Hand over your credit card and continue much as before. And see who can Facebook ”Got my awesome new iPhone XSively Xpensive XR guys,” first. Then see who really gives a toss. Or was it mainly just you? Google now to find out what to think! The zombie apocalypse is already here - but behind a rope barrier. Queue nicely now!

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
“A Fool And His Money Is Soon Parted” - as the saying goes. And even in the age of Disposable-Income-Digital-Millenials it still holds true. Here they all are being told to await their new life-coaching Camera/Screen. Take a day off work. Get home. Unbox. Switch it on. Realise it’s just the same thing but bigger/smaller and carry on tapping as before. It’s not much of a life really but it’s life as they know it. Never having known of life before the global reliance of “electronic-twerpery”. Where will my digital chum take me next? No idea mate. like you did before and when you get to the front of the queue, look up fleetingly. Hand over your credit card and continue much as before. And see who can ”Got my awesome new iPhone XSively Xpensive XR guys,” first. Then see who really gives a toss. Or was it mainly just you? Google now to find out what to think! Cheers!

Judgmental much?

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I'll order online when Apple releases the next iPhone SE
I badly want one too. But after this past announcement, and with great sorrow, I let my breath out. The only recognition you’re going to see from Apple that small screens are important will be found on your wrist.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
If you have to ask no amount of explaining will give you as satisfactory answer.
But here goes:
They think it's fun and exciting.
They were not able to pre-order.
Flip the script.
Why do many here who are not on Pacific time stay up at night to pre-order?
To be first?
The better question for you is why do you care enough to even post the question?
How does their standing in line affect you?

Wouldn’t waste my time, he does it himself...just not for iPhones.

Reactions: sinsin07

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'm sure we are all guilty of frittering and wasting the hours in an off-hand way; the value of our own time is ours to determine...

It doesn't make it any less sad. Making excuses WHY it's OK to waste large amounts of time doesn't make it any less "sad". That seems to be how people think these days...my time, no matter how I spend it, it's OK. I can sit on the couch and stare at the TV for a month straight because I want to, and that's not a "sad" waste of time/life because it's what I want to do?

I guess nothing is "sad" anymore. It's all "OK".
[doublepost=1537482261][/doublepost]
Almost as sad as seeking acknowledgement from a group of internet nobodies?

Well, you got 6 likes so far, so I'd say for you...yes. :)

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
“A Fool And His Money Is Soon Parted” - as the saying goes. And even in the age of Disposable-Income-Digital-Millenials it still holds true. Here they all are being told to await their new life-coaching Camera/Screen. Take a day off work. Get home. Unbox. Switch it on. Realise it’s just the same thing but bigger/smaller and carry on tapping as before. It’s not much of a life really but it’s life as they know it. Never having known of life before the global reliance of “electronic-twerpery”. Where will my digital chum take me next? No idea mate. Do as you always do. Head down. Eyes glazed. Stare at your (currently inferior) screen, when you get to the front of the queue, look up fleetingly. Hand over your credit card and continue much as before. And see who can Facebook ”Got my awesome new iPhone XSively Xpensive XR guys,” first. Then see who really gives a toss. Or was it mainly just you? Google now to find out what to think! The zombie apocalypse is already here - but behind a rope barrier. Queue nicely now!

Reminds me of a couple years back when the thing was to congratulate those who received their new iPhones. Did they win the lottery or a contest? Did they get a promotion or get married? No, they willingly chose to exchange a large amount of money for a new piece of electronics, but somehow, people felt the need to congratulate that person as though they lucked into something. When I buy a new TV, car or water heater, the last thing I expect is someone to congratulate me!

Reactions: BruceEBonus

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
People still do this? Yikes...

It's really a lot of fun the first time. I lined up at an Apple retail store in Albany (NY) for the original iPhone and it was a blast. I'll never forget the couple kids from Connecticut I met who couldn't decide whether they were more excited about the iPhones they were about to buy or the big box full of CDs of their garage band's very first album, that they had just received that day. They were handing out freebies and urging us to rip them onto iTunes and be sure to play their stuff on our new iPhones. Adorable. They must have been at least 15 years old.

But for iPhone releases after that when I wanted to upgrade, I waited a few months post-launch and ordered online from Apple after checking out one in hand at an AT&T store. So no more random-luck free CDs of garage band rock for me... I do wonder now and then what else I may have missed by being too lazy to go to iPhone launches. Some of the wait lines get pretty exotic, I hear. Portable lawn chairs, picnic coolers... :D

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
I ordered early afternoon last Friday, will receive two XS Maxs via UPS tomorrow. Just shipped from Louisville :)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
It doesn't make it any less sad. Making excuses WHY it's OK to waste large amounts of time doesn't make it any less "sad". That seems to be how people think these days...my time, no matter how I spend it, it's OK. I can sit on the couch and stare at the TV for a month straight because I want to, and that's not a "sad" waste of time/life because it's what I want to do?

I guess nothing is "sad" anymore. It's all "OK".
This post to some can be considered a sad waste of time, but no one is faulting you for wasting it.
It's your time and your right to waste it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.