Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It’s their life, want to tell them how they should spend their money as well?

Great. Deflection. Can you at least stay on the topic. I didn't say anything about how one spends their money. If you're unclear what the topic is, read back a few posts to catch up.

evsterstech

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
USA
Patiently awaiting a few more hours knowing the phone and watch are now in the state. The Xs Max is being delivered to my office so I think I will enjoy a cup of coffee but thinking the bathrobe and slippers might be too much. So 17 hours and patiently waiting.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not sure why people still do this, but it’s pretty impressive from Apple’s perspective. The competition would kill for something like this.

MacBebe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2017
Sacto, Ca
i highly doubt it. the higher the price the shorter the line. i'll check out the line at the mall tomorrow just for entertainment plus i want to see how the MAX looks.

I won’t be surprised if the Xs Max, while expensive, will be the best selling iPhone.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You don’t get congratulatory gesture when you buy a TV, car, etc, because it’s not an iPhone. To a lot of people, iPhone is considered a ‘must-have’.

I was congratulated big time when I got my car. Posted pictures of my trusty steed on Facebook and the congrats rolled in.

I feel certain that the people partying in line a) don’t care about what anyone else thinks and b) think people who spend hours on an Internet forum are sad. Live and let live. I’ve never waited in an iPhone line but I did queue with my daughter for the midnight release of a few of the Harry Potter books. We had a blast.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
If people want to wait in line, let them. Me, I am getting both my watch and iPhone delivered to my office; should be there by noon EST.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Stop dissing people who queue. I don’t personally, but people do and it’s up to them. Many like the shared experience and the fun of doing it. Why go to a live sports game when you can watch it on TV...

I prefer watching games on TV. WAY cheaper, and the camera angles, closeups, replays, and commentary are sorely missed sitting in an arena. It's actually sort of boring being there.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I’d probably do the same, just to meet some nerdy people. As a parent and adult with way to many things to do it’s almost impossible for me now :(
However, I still remember standing in line for.......... Windows XP (a bit ashamed of admitting this). Met lots of interesting people there, some of them became friends I talked to for many years.
Don't feel bad.

I remember going on deployment in the Navy and a bunch of us loading up a buddy staying behind with money to buy Windows 95 for us. I think he had several thousands of dollars worth of software to buy. I probably collected my disks before I called my girl. Nerd priorities.

ZoroastrianChemist

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2017
I think it's pretty cool that people still do this. I mean in order for me to pre-order, I had to sacrifice my sleep schedule. Maybe these people didn't want to do that.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I was congratulated big time when I got my car. Posted pictures of my trusty steed on Facebook and the congrats rolled in.

I feel certain that the people partying in line a) don’t care about what anyone else thinks and b) think people who spend hours on an Internet forum are sad. Live and let live. I’ve never waited in an iPhone line but I did queue with my daughter for the midnight release of a few of the Harry Potter books. We had a blast.

So now they're "partying in line". Got it. I can think of a dozen better places to "party" than in line behind an Apple Store.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I prefer watching games on TV. WAY cheaper, and the camera angles, closeups, replays, and commentary are sorely missed sitting in an arena. It's actually sort of boring being there.

You are talking about Baseball!:D

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and Apple Watch Series 4 have started rolling out in Australia and New Zealand where it is after 8:00 a.m. on Friday, September 21, and in other countries, as the launch date approaches, customers are queueing up with the hopes of purchasing one of Apple's new devices.

At the Orchard Road store in Singapore, where the new smartphones and watches will be available in a few hours, hundreds of people are waiting and have been camped out since much earlier in the day.

appleorchardroad-800x450.jpg

Image via Channel News Asia

It's hot in Singapore, so potential customers have been provided with numbered wristbands to mark their place in line and are allowed to leave for up to one hour for meal breaks.

There's a similar scene at Apple's Berlin store, where customers have been lining up overnight. Berlin customers still have several hours to wait before the new devices are available in the country.

Customers in Austria are also lining up to get an iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max, but with hours to go, the line is still small.

Most U.S. stores don't appear to have significant lines, but people will likely start lining up late at night as the launch date approaches.

Apple's iPhone XS and XS Max were not particularly constrained when pre-orders launched, but some iPhone XS Max models began selling out for launch day shipments within about a half hour of when pre-orders went live. Apple Watch Series 4 models were harder to come by and sold out quickly.

Orders placed for iPhone XS, XS Max, and Apple Watch orders from Apple today will not ship out until October, which is likely why many customers are trying their luck waiting in line for a walk-in purchase.

Customers in the United States who did not pre-order and who are hoping for a launch day device should get to an Apple retail store or carrier store as early as possible.

Are you planning to wait in line for an Apple device this year? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Thousands of Customers Waiting in Line at Apple Retail Stores for iPhone XS, XS Max and Apple Watch Series 4 as Global Launch Continues
Heck no I’m not waiting in line. If you have the last gen phone or even two generations ago, there is no reason to buy a brand new phone anymore.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
No lines at University Village (Seattle, WA) cause there’s zero walk-in availablity (reservation only). It’s probably only a matter of time before Apple does this worldwide.

brushlee

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Irvine, CA
I did it once for 6s - came at 8 pm - nobody, 10 pm - nobody, 1 am - nobody :) It was newly relocated ATT store in AZ. Then I went back home, grabbed beach chair, few beers and cigars. About 2:30 am I was 3rd in line.... About 6 am ~60 ppl lined up. It was actually fun. Talks, stories, online stuff..... at about 7:15 - store guys showed up outside and told us what is available and offered us some kind of coupons - to confirm your purchase. Then - ppl rushed to the nearest mall for restrooms :)
Finally we went in. Couple in front of me was buying phones with new lines and it took them a bit longer. So, I walked 1st out of the store and manager was holding the door for me. Silly but really memorable feeling :p

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Oh you mean you are wasting your time watching a game on TV?

Reactions: sinsin07

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
They're mostly there for socializing even so I still think it's kinda ridiculous waiting in line for a phone that will be available for sell during the year.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Oh you mean you are wasting your time watching a game on TV?
Yeah.
Watching games on TV is a waste of time.
What do I care what team wins what game?
What am I getting out of it sitting like a bump on a log eating Doritos and drinking beer.
I'd rather not waste my time on the couch like a slouch.
I go out and play the sport with friends and family.
Sound about right?:D

Reactions: FFR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.