Other Three months out from new iPhones - What are your plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Jun 19, 2018.

?

What are your iPhone plans this year?

1. I own an iPhone X - Will buy the the 2019 iPhone X

38 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. I own an iPhone X - Will buy the 2019 iPhone X+

95 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. I own an iPhone X - Will buy the 2019 LCD iPhone

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. I own an iPhone 8 or 8+ - Will buy the 2019 X or X+

42 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. I own an iPhone 8 or 8+ - Will buy the 2019 LCD iPhone

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. I own an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE - Will buy the 2019 X or X+

90 vote(s)
    17.7%
  7. I own an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE - Will buy the 2019 LCD iPhone

22 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. I own an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE - Will buy the iPhone 8

10 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. I will keep my current phone / not sure

204 vote(s)
    40.1%
  1. Adelphos33, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I posted a similar poll three months ago - now we are getting pretty close to iPhone releases. I feel that buzz around features and upgrades with the 2019 iPhones is limited compared to last year. The iPhone X + seems to be in demand, but I'm not seeing a ton of organic demand for the other two models.

As an iPhone 8+ owner, I've seen more OLED iPhone X screens in the wild and now want to upgrade to the OLED screen. I'm hoping the 2019 X/X+ are $100 less expensive than the comparable prices last year. I'm undecided about X or X+; a lot of the decision will revolve around battery life. The LCD phone would have interested me if it had the dual camera setup.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2018 ---
    Obviously, replace "2019" with "2018" for all of the poll questions

2. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I have no plans until I see these new devices and what they offer.

4. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

5. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Keeping the X. I upgraded from the 6+ back in December and couldn't be happier as it was very different in design, features, speed, battery etc.

I don't see the point of upgrading from the X to the X+ or whatever they call it. The slight screen size change won't be worth it to me.

6. LunarFalcon macrumors member

I've never had a Plus, but depending on exactly how big it turns out to be, I'm strongly considering an X Plus this year.

7. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

It all depends on what come out. Every year I upgrade even when I say I’m not. I have the X and I have been very happy with it. Coming from the 7+ which I kept, I’m used more to the size of the X.

8. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Only upgrade to XI plus if the storage is increased to 512gb. Otherwise, happy with the X.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I might upgrade for significantly better reception as I've read the rumor that the next iPhones will get 4x4 MIMO. I had a Note 8 which had it and there was a big difference in areas without a strong signal.

10. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502

ChrisChaval

11. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

12. PsychicRutabaga macrumors member

PsychicRutabaga

With today's prices, I treat my phones as I do my vehicles. Keep them well maintained and run them until they are no longer fit for purpose to maximize the return on investment. A phone is first and foremost a functional tool, not a fashion statement.

That said, I just upgraded from the 6 to the 8+ (Red) on Sunday. I could have fixed my 6 screen and waited until the new phones came out, but the cost of repair would probably have exceeded the savings from waiting. Besides, I like the 6/7/8 form factor which appears to be ending with the 8 and wanted to get the latest model in that line with plans for keeping it in service for two to three years.

13. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

Definitely anticipating the new LCD model. I would love to be pleasantly surprised by T-Mobile to get a good trade offer up to the 2018 X, but looking to go for LCD model to save $.

14. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I’ve gone past those days when I used to get excited about smartphones. I’m on the upgrade program, so will probably upgrade regardless of what they release.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I will get a new $29 battery for my 7 and keep it another year. I feel smartphones have seriously plateaued in the last few years even as prices have risen. So you pay more than ever for an upgrade that’s smaller than ever. Which means I’ll keep existing devices longer than ever.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This is the route I'm most likely going to take. I doubt the new X models will drastically differ from the current model. Thus, I'm probably going to keep my X for another year.

17. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I anticipate Apple will release a phone (or phones) that will remain aesthetically similar (camera bump) to current and past models.

So…our plans (my wife and I) are to wait until some money we are expecting comes in at the end of July. I anticipate purchasing Google Pixel phones outright.

My 6s+ and my wife's 6s will move down to secondary phones. How that's going to affect my iPhone 5 and my 4s I have yet to determine. Those two phones are currently my secondary and tertiary phones.

My son has an SE so he will stay with that and my daughter is using my wife's old iPhone 5 (WiFi only).

Currently carrying around a 6th Gen iPad as well. Will be updating that to iOS 12 if the 11.3.1 jailbreak is confirmed to still be semi-untethered.

But for primary phones now we'll be Android.

18. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I just bought the X and I'll be running it for about two years. I just received an iPhone 8 for a work phone and I'll be running that one till it breaks.

19. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

It depends on what will be released - I would like something in 5s to 8 size to replace my reliable 5s.

20. VineRider macrumors member

21. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

Just upgraded to a X a few weeks back. No idea what I will do as I have been changing phones a lot recently. Back and forth between iOS and Android.

The X is a super device though and I’d like to think I will keep it for 2 years. I went with the 256GB model.

22. magamen macrumors member

magamen

No reason to get rid of the X, so i'll keep it.

23. Bbeelzebub macrumors member

Bbeelzebub

I have a 6s Plus. I usually only keep my phones for 1.5 to 2 years.... I've been content with this phone longer than anything I can recall. I've had it over two years. I was disappointed with what the X ended up being, so I'm keeping my eye on the rumored X plus or whatever it ends up being called. If it fails to satisfy what I'm hoping it will be, I may go back to Android. Meh... I'd rather not do that though, but I do miss a beautiful OLED screen.

24. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Before we can say we want it or not
    1. Let’s see what the new features are
    2. Will the Tariffs raise the new iPhone
    25% or so
    3. Is the camera better or the same

No hard decision just yet. As the usual leakers are not saying much

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Think its obvious and the best judgment is for those that know Apple holds an annual Keynote in September, the consumer waits to see what they have to offer based on: 1.)Is Whats Offered compelling enough to want to upgrade from their current device to a new device, 2.) At what price.

Those are usually the key things that most consider when upgrading their phone.