Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
...well folks, it's not looking good..

I don't think we're going to get a Thunderbolt display update & I don't think it's high up on Apple's list of priorities.

I've started looking at current model (2011) Thunderbolt Displays on eBay for a lot less money. Between $500 - $700 which still saves me around $500.

Honestly, why would you purchase something for $1199.00 new (Australian prices), when the product is old technology?
Maybe for a 2014 model, but it ain't gonna happen.

Lets face it, unfortunately the current model is not worth buying new.

They have refurbs for $999. 2-3 week wait.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Not going to happen. I have said it before - the TBD update will be 4K display. Until then, Apple will keep selling the existing version, which is still a fine display if you don't have to have 4K.

I'd expect the TBD 4K update by 2014 Christmas season, but that's also me being optimistic.

I think so too. Together with a new iMac maybe, if they figure out how to fix the resolution/text size/scaling issue first.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
This whole thing drove me crazy. Just ordered a Thunderbolt Display for 750€ at mactrade.de

Once an updated version comes out, I'll sell my current 24" and the old tb display will move down the chain, becoming my 2nd monitor.
I was very close to buying 2x dell 2713hm but read a lot about some weird noises it makes obviously, plus I looove the look of the apple displays and would not wanna miss them! They're like furniture to me.:cool:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
it's weird for apple to release a 4k thunderbolt display considering only one product currently, and perhaps another one (with the nvidia 750) has the capability of running one. just rerelease a thinner 27" thunderbolt 2 display!

Yea, I think this is the biggest thing people aren't factoring in. 4K is still in it's infancy and only the Mac Pro and Late 2013 rMBP can even power a 4K display comfortably...albeit a limited selection of displays that work with Mavericks at the moment. Unless you own one of these very new Macs, a 4K display is useless to you unless you plan on buying a new Mac to go with it.

Also, Apple is less likely to rush to the 4K market to be "first" and is much more likely to wait another 10 months until they can achieve more favorable profit margins on the displays themselves.

I expect a lot of clamoring on MacRumors throughout the year, but we won't see Apple enter 4K until the Fall Mac event when I could then see some sort of "iMac with Retina display" and "Thunderbolt Retina Display" --- 24", 4K, good compromise between PPI, overall screen size, and screen real estate.

---- That said, they were first for high DPI displays on phones, tablets, and notebooks...so we'll see.

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
For those that can not or will not wait for Apple's 4k or TB2 monitor see what is announced at CES. Of course none of those has a TB hub inside.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/08/-new-crop-of-4k-monitors-debut-at-ces

Thanks but those are cheap for a reason. There's more to a monitor than the number of pixels, refresh rate being one. A couple of those are only 30Hz, which would suck for gaming and probably wouldn't be great for video creation, either. The Lenovo has 72% color gamut?? sheesh. Someone in the comments said it takes Windows to run them, don't know if that's true. Look at ALL the specs before you buy.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Yea, I think this is the biggest thing people aren't factoring in. 4K is still in it's infancy and only the Mac Pro and Late 2013 rMBP can even power a 4K display comfortably...albeit a limited selection of displays that work with Mavericks at the moment. Unless you own one of these very new Macs, a 4K display is useless to you unless you plan on buying a new Mac to go with it.

Also, Apple is less likely to rush to the 4K market to be "first" and is much more likely to wait another 10 months until they can achieve more favorable profit margins on the displays themselves.

I expect a lot of clamoring on MacRumors throughout the year, but we won't see Apple enter 4K until the Fall Mac event when I could then see some sort of "iMac with Retina display" and "Thunderbolt Retina Display" --- 24", 4K, good compromise between PPI, overall screen size, and screen real estate.

---- That said, they were first for high DPI displays on phones, tablets, and notebooks...so we'll see.

agreed.

Current model will ride out most of this year.

melburstein

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Current model will ride out most of this year.

I think you are correct. I finally gave in and purchased the current model Apple Thunderbolt Monitor. I connected it and my Dell U2410 to a rMBP (Mid 2012) and you know what? I am quite happy with it :).

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I think you are correct. I finally gave in and purchased the current model Apple Thunderbolt Monitor. I connected it and my Dell U2410 to a rMBP (Mid 2012) and you know what? I am quite happy with it :).

Just can't stomach giving Apple full price for a display that's been unchanged since 2011...requiring an adapter dongle to connect to my Mac and USB 2.0.

Apple had no problem lowering the price of the 13" rMBP twice now since I bought mine in October 2012. The least they could do is knock off $200 on the current version of the TBD acknowledging that the tech inside it is less expensive than it was when it was originally released. Even at $799, I still wouldn't want it. Time for them to update it.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.

Many people don't understand the money involved in R&D of a new "thin" display. Its more then just a rendering.

Just can't stomach giving Apple full price for a display that's been unchanged since 2011...requiring an adapter dongle to connect to my Mac and USB 2.0.

Apple had no problem lowering the price of the 13" rMBP twice now since I bought mine in October 2012. The least they could do is knock off $200 on the current version of the TBD acknowledging that the tech inside it is less expensive than it was when it was originally released. Even at $799, I still wouldn't want it. Time for them to update it.

Again, couldn't agree more. Well, the magsafe.. needs to stay at the L connector to those who still use classic MacBooks.

USB2 vs 3 actually is not a huge deal (thought it was). If you want to used an external Hdd just look into thunderbolt. If you have an existing one then plug it into your computer.

Not optimal but remember Apple is now banking every dollar on these displays due to the age. I completely understand why there has not been a new one released.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
That is true indeed.
The reason I mentioned 5k is: 2560 *2 = 5k. Given that apple at the time just uses /2 down scaling on the rmbp to achieve what they call retina.

I wonder what the solution they come with is gonna be. Best would be if they'd loose the stupid *2 scaling but would just actually render the ui bigger. Over in the news thread "theluggable" wrote this very accurate statement:

"This. This has been posted several times, including in a MR front page article, and it doesn't seem to have penetrated people's heads yet. Until Apple supports arbitrary DPI modes (like Windows) and persuades developers to write resolution-independent code, these are only going to be useful for people with better-than-20:20 eyesight who can work with tiny system fonts at native res, or as a secondary display for previewing UHD video."

Agree 100%.
The problem is the OS X display scaling scheme - which is very rigid.

The other misconception is the TB port (and bandwidth for 4K). Despite sharing the same physical port, Display Port and Thunderbolt are different protocols. Recent Mac's are equipped with DP 1.2, which will support "4K" resolution without issue. Best bet - get your 4K monitor and bootcamp windows to drive it.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011

.........The least they could do is knock off $200 on the current version of the TBD acknowledging that the tech inside it is less expensive than it was when it was originally released. Even at $799, I still wouldn't want it. Time for them to update it.

I couldn't have said it better myself....

That's why I'm looking at used Thunderbolt Displays on eBay.

I don't mind paying $500-$700 for a 2011 display, but that's my limit.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I couldn't have said it better myself....

That's why I'm looking at used Thunderbolt Displays on eBay.

I don't mind paying $500-$700 for a 2011 display, but that's my limit.

Thought about that too, but even at those prices, I'd rather hold on to the money for something I really want...aka...an updated Thunderbolt Display...or perhaps a 4K/Retina iMac down the line.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Thought about that too, but even at those prices, I'd rather hold on to the money for something I really want...aka...an updated Thunderbolt Display...or perhaps a 4K/Retina iMac down the line.

I thought the same but actually the prices on ebay for TB displays are ridicuolusly high. So You'll always be able to sell it again without much of a loss, because the design is just so iconig.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Part of the issue is what the display is for. Historically, apple displays were for desktops. But around the time of the first LED 27 (following the 20/23/30), the market shifted to laptops and the display became more of a docking station. Holding onto that approach, it doesnt make complete sense to 4k the TB screen until the MBP can support it.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
it doesnt make complete sense to 4k the TB screen until the MBP can support it.

I might be mistaken, but the current MacBook Pro Retina 15 can support 4K.
But yes, not many do.

But it's nice to see other companies like LG coming out with Thunderbolt 2 monitors this year (actually in a couple of weeks!!).

I think I've lost hope for Apple to do anything new...

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
As I mentioned earlier, I just decided to get a current generation thunderbolt display.

It was an upgrade for me over a previous 24" Cinema Display.
I have it right next to a 2012 imac.

Actually I'm stunned! The quality is so amazing, due to the higher PPI compared to the 24" everything looks so much better, more crisp...
I'm not regretting getting it at all and will get a 2nd one when my imac goes to make room for the nMP! :)

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Oh and btw: I thought I remember some of you were afraid to buy the display cause it didn't support the new magsafe adapter of recent macbooks.

With mine there actually was an adapter in the box (hidden inside the little manual box) :cool: Typically apple!

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
As I mentioned earlier, I just decided to get a current generation thunderbolt display.

It was an upgrade for me over a previous 24" Cinema Display.
I have it right next to a 2012 imac.

Actually I'm stunned! The quality is so amazing, due to the higher PPI compared to the 24" everything looks so much better, more crisp...
I'm not regretting getting it at all and will get a 2nd one when my imac goes to make room for the nMP! :)

The PPI is only 2560 x 1440 on the Thunderbolt Display, which was great in 2011.

But now that I've seen what's coming out this year (thank you CES 2014) I'm getting very excited about the possibilities of Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 IPS panels.

If Apple was smart, they would announce something very soon, because people can only wait for so long. But I don't think anything is going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.