Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostgear

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
I'm starting to see new Thunderbolt displays online for under £350. Does this mean the new display coming soon?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I got a replacement instead of a refund from Amazon - and this one is better, if only slightly.

I could really care less if they update it or not - having Thunderbolt 2 is useless for the mass majority. There is no theoretical bandwidth gain, only logical differences. I would rather a dedicated Magsafe 2 charger rather than having to use the adapter, but that isn't a major issue.

My biggest problem now is deciding on whether to keep it at all since I almost prefer the screen on the 13" now! Maybe going with a cheaper monitor would be more practical for my uses but 1) I wouldn't be saving an extreme amount and 2) I would be giving up on aesthetics and build quality, two things I just can't hardly see past any more given Apple's vastly superior reign over those two qualities.

Interesting. Really want a big display to go with my 13" rMBP but whether it's a Thunderbolt Display or a less expensive alternative, I'm worried I'm just too spoiled by Retina to truly enjoy one. Wondering if you find the added screen size to be worth the lower pixel density or if you'd rather just return it and live with the 13" screen given it's gorgeousness. :eek:

lostgear

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
i think he may have seen it in google shopping which seems to have got its knickers in a twist with currys and pc world as they display at thunderbolt monitor for £349 but when you click the link it goes through to an IPAD mini.

Yep, I'm afraid so, I have followed up on the links I found yesterday and they all appear to be mistakes or scams :confused:

Sorry for the confusion and disappointment caused.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Interesting. Really want a big display to go with my 13" rMBP but whether it's a Thunderbolt Display or a less expensive alternative, I'm worried I'm just too spoiled by Retina to truly enjoy one. Wondering if you find the added screen size to be worth the lower pixel density or if you'd rather just return it and live with the 13" screen given it's gorgeousness. :eek:

I do actually. The PPI is no where near that of the rMBP, but its definitely miles ahead of a non retina iPad Mini. I much prefer it for desk use now.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Well from what I understand, apple might wanna wait until 5k panels become available to offer 2x downscaling and therefore call it a retina display.

Because on the new Mac Pro with any of the available 4k screens, you can't just scale up fonts and other elements like on the rmbp, but instead you're stuck with tiny tiny ui elements. At best you could scale maybe to 1080p but that would be stupid on a 27" display.

Heck I don't know what they will do, but I really need a replacement for my 27" iMac when int gets sold and the nmp arrives in February!!! The worst is that there's currently a 24" Cinema Display attached to the iMac, so having some non reflective ugly dell sitting next to this one would ruin my desk ;)

But I don't want to buy this dinosaur from 2011!!!

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Well from what I understand, apple might wanna wait until 5k panels become available to offer 2x downscaling and therefore call it a retina display.

Because on the new Mac Pro with any of the available 4k screens, you can't just scale up fonts and other elements like on the rmbp, but instead you're stuck with tiny tiny ui elements. At best you could scale maybe to 1080p but that would be stupid on a 27" display.

Heck I don't know what they will do, but I really need a replacement for my 27" iMac when int gets sold and the nmp arrives in February!!! The worst is that there's currently a 24" Cinema Display attached to the iMac, so having some non reflective ugly dell sitting next to this one would ruin my desk ;)

But I don't want to buy this dinosaur from 2011!!!

Which is why I could see them releasing a 24" "Retina" iMac and Thunderbolt Display at 4K resolution. Pixel doubled 1080p. It's a compromise between the 21.5" (too small) and the 27" and would look great and be scaled well for the screen size. Waiting around for a 5120x2880 27" iMac will be a loooooong long wait.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
Which is why I could see them releasing a 24" "Retina" iMac and Thunderbolt Display at 4K resolution. Pixel doubled 1080p. It's a compromise between the 21.5" (too small) and the 27" and would look great and be scaled well for the screen size. Waiting around for a 5120x2880 27" iMac will be a loooooong long wait.

I would be perfectly fine with a 24" model if it meant improved resolution, thunderbolt 2, usb 3, etc. I just want Apple to do something with their displays. I don't necessarily need a display (I can get by with just my 13" MBA for now), but I've been waiting a long time for Apple to give us something new that is worth the price they charge.

I think with CES this week we'll get a better idea of what may be likely to come in the 4k/retina monitor space from Apple. A lot of competitors will be announcing their new models, alongside pricing, and since Apple uses many of the same suppliers it should be a good indication of what consumers will be looking at for prices on various sizes.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Yes I'm super pumped for the CES 4k announcements!

Well a 24" retina tb 2 display seems likely and would be cool, but than I'd need three of them.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
If Asus can make 4K 28" Display for $799 then Apple can make 4K 24" Display for $1499!

Hey Apple bring it!!!

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/asus-28-inch-4k-display/#comments

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The release must be late this week.....as Hell has frozen over this week and we can definitely skate on the black ice.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
This is encouraging on a $999 or cheaper 4k Thunderbolt display.

I think the biggest question for those of us that don't own a Mac Pro or the latest rMBP's is can we even get 4K out of our Thunderbolt 1 equipped Macs? I don't think so.

I have a late 2012 13" rMBP, but unless Apple comes up with some sort of dual-link Thunderbolt adapter, I think 4K is unrealistic for me until I'm ready for a new Mac.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Which raises the question of what resolution will Apple say constitutes Retina on a 27" display? Does it have to be 4K....or something lesser be enough?

We are all waiting for Apple..................

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Apple needs to enable proper display scaling modes for OSX in order to make 4k screens usable. I find it extremely annoying they didn't solve this problem in advance to the Mac Pro release. I need to order a display soon before he new machine arrives and replaces my iMac.

I sure want one of these new dell 4k displays instead of an outdated TB display. But if it's not even gonna be supported by osx but display some weird stuff about both panels in the screen, it's useless. So apple now forces me to buy so etching that I will sure have to sell again in a few months to replace it with so ring appropriate. Stupid!

----------

Which raises the question of what resolution will Apple say constitutes Retina on a 27" display? Does it have to be 4K....or something lesser be enough?

We are all waiting for Apple..................

It has to be 5k in order to keep the screen real estate of current 27" at 2x retina.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
It has to be 5k in order to keep the screen real estate of current 27" at 2x retina.

The problem is....what is Retina? There does not seem to be a fixed DPI/resolution for that name. For the same smooth effect, near use devices like phones and pads need higher DPI that mid distance devices like laptop screens. And for more distance objects such as a 27" or larger monitor....the DPI can drop off yet again and still give the same smooth effect.

It is still up to Apple to say what DPI/resolution constitutes "Retina" on any monitor. After all they own the product line. ;)

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
The problem is....what is Retina? There does not seem to be a fixed DPI/resolution for that name. For the same smooth effect, near use devices like phones and pads need higher DPI that mid distance devices like laptop screens. And for more distance objects such as a 27" or larger monitor....the DPI can drop off yet again and still give the same smooth effect.

It is still up to Apple to say what DPI/resolution constitutes "Retina" on any monitor. After all they own the product line. ;)

That is true indeed.
The reason I mentioned 5k is: 2560 *2 = 5k. Given that apple at the time just uses /2 down scaling on the rmbp to achieve what they call retina.

I wonder what the solution they come with is gonna be. Best would be if they'd loose the stupid *2 scaling but would just actually render the ui bigger. Over in the news thread "theluggable" wrote this very accurate statement:

"This. This has been posted several times, including in a MR front page article, and it doesn't seem to have penetrated people's heads yet. Until Apple supports arbitrary DPI modes (like Windows) and persuades developers to write resolution-independent code, these are only going to be useful for people with better-than-20:20 eyesight who can work with tiny system fonts at native res, or as a secondary display for previewing UHD video."

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
it's weird for apple to release a 4k thunderbolt display considering only one product currently, and perhaps another one (with the nvidia 750) has the capability of running one. just rerelease a thinner 27" thunderbolt 2 display!

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
...well folks, it's not looking good..

I don't think we're going to get a Thunderbolt display update & I don't think it's high up on Apple's list of priorities.

I've started looking at current model (2011) Thunderbolt Displays on eBay for a lot less money. Between $500 - $700 which still saves me around $500.

Honestly, why would you purchase something for $1199.00 new (Australian prices), when the product is old technology?
Maybe for a 2014 model, but it ain't gonna happen.

Lets face it, unfortunately the current model is not worth buying new.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
just rerelease a thinner 27" thunderbolt 2 display!

Not going to happen. I have said it before - the TBD update will be 4K display. Until then, Apple will keep selling the existing version, which is still a fine display if you don't have to have 4K.

I'd expect the TBD 4K update by 2014 Christmas season, but that's also me being optimistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.