Thunderbolt Display Shipped?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by axwell, Aug 25, 2011.

1. axwell, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

axwell macrumors newbie

I ordered a thunderbolt display on Aug. 1st and the est. ship date is Sept. 22nd. Was wondering if they have started shipping them for anyone...

2. timewarrior macrumors newbie

I would be interested to know that too :)

3. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    Just ordered mine yesterday and have been given est shipping 12th -22nd september so i would expect the earlier orders to start shipping soon, I'm hoping so any way, looking forward to getting this thing

4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Interesting data points. I have about $500 in amazon gift cards to subsidize the new display. We bought a new MBA 2 weeks ago to replace our original 24" iMac. Once we get the display we can sell the iMac. Can't wait for it to go on sale!

5. axwell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Toonbay. I have been waiting for this display for a long time. :)

6. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

7. dubAdub macrumors member

I ordered mine from the Apple On-line Store on Aug 10th and it has a ship date of Sep 21st and delivery date of Sep 26th.

I'd like to know why people that have ordered since then are getting earlier estimated ship dates.

8. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

That does seem strange mate but that was timeframe i was given, i suppose this could change and get pushed back but hopefully not!

Axwell...... no probs, hope you get it soon!!, we need a review asap

9. dubAdub macrumors member

Ain't your fault. It is hopeful in the sense that if they're now giving out earlier shipping dates perhaps they'll revise the other dates too.

10. axwell thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to someone at Apple today and they said it works like a queue and they will be shipped in the order people purchased them.

----------

I'm also curious to see if the Display will work with my PS3. Some threads discuss this and most say it won't unless you buy an expensive converter.

The guy at the Apple store said it will via a HDMI to DVI cable. I called the Apple Online Store and they said there are thunderbolt to hdmi cables that will work.

Apple also claims thunderbolt is compatible with HDMI however who know if it will still work with the PS3.

I guess we won't find out for sure until someone tests it.:eek:

11. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Im hoping to pick one up in store when they become available...

Should be good - not quite sure what the thinking is delaying it this long since their announcement / opportunity to order.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I wouldn't count on it. Since Apple is only specifying that it'll work with Thunderbolt-equipped Macs, I'm suspecting there will be no way to get it to work on anything else.

On top of that, what you were told at the store makes no sense. While you can run an HDMI display off a Mac's Thunderbolt port (in this case, basically acting a a mini-DisplayPort), you can't go the other direction and connect an HDMI source device like a Playstation to a DisplayPort device without a $150-$200 signal converter. And it's unknown if this will work at all for a Thunderbolt display. I'm going to predict it won't.

13. p3t3rsn macrumors newbie

I ordered my Thnderbolt display on Aug 6 and I still have an eta delivery date of sept 22.
    It's concerning to hear the display may only work on Thunderbolt device. I was hoping to use it both on my 2011 MBP and my gaming PC, then just switch inputs to go back and forth between computers.

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

This is the exact reason I haven't ordered one yet. I really want one for the ports it would give me on my MBA, but if I can only use it on that, I'll pass and look at either the old model or something else. I'll let others figure that out first!

15. dubAdub macrumors member

The Tech Specs on the Apple website appear to rule it out.

16. p3t3rsn macrumors newbie

The docking station features will certainly require a thunderbolt device. However, I find hard to believe that I can't use this display as just a display for my PC. At less until a thunderbolt expansion card becomes available for PC's.

17. Rynology macrumors regular

Rynology

Also eagerly anticipating delivery.

Ordered On Jul 22, 2011

Ships: Sep 19
    Delivers Sep 20

18. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You can't.

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Scroll down to the system requirements. Only OS X.

19. KillerTree macrumors regular

So if I change to Windows on my Macbook Pro the monitor won't work? That's hard to believe.

20. dubAdub macrumors member

There's an existing thread on that question saying it will have to come in by a driver in bootcamp.

21. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You're never going to need a driver - bootcamp or otherwise - for a monitor, even if it connects via thunderbolt.

If it did, you wouldn't be able to see the password screen when you enable full drive encryption for example, since that one pops up before the OS and its drivers is actually loaded. Clearly unfeasible.

Thunderbolt is an industry standard (although not particularly widely adopted yet - understatement); it's not going to REQUIRE OSX; rather it's OS-independent.

Like a display with sound over HDMI or Displayport, your OS won't be able to utilize the sound output without a driver, but the monitor will still show a picture, because that's a fundamental function of the system; you don't need drivers for monitor output and you never have.

22. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I was really thinking I'd have my display by now. I ordered it on 7/20. At the time the shipping time was 6-8 weeks and I thought it would be more like 6 but it looks like it might be more like 8.

23. dubAdub macrumors member

It does look a bit like they jumped the gun by a couple of weeks in their enthusiasm to make a simultaneous announcement with the MBA and Lion.

24. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

I spoke to Apple yesterday and the rep told me they have started shipping these already. Find that strange as seen no reports from anyone as yet!!

25. axwell thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard the same thing from an Apple Store employee! :D