Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
Kinda funny =] how everyone dislikes the brushed metal theme of os x. I am a designer, and frankly, I want my OS to compliment what I use the OS to do. So when i open a website, a program, or something else, I don't want the OS to distract me from the art that is coming up on screen.

os x panther's theme is neutral and complimentary, exactly what I want.

i guess you guys don't like the anodized aluminum powerbooks either?

there's something to be said for minimalism when it comes to graphics. "design simplicity"

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
Themes

runeasgar said:
Kinda funny =] how everyone dislikes the brushed metal theme of os x. I am a designer, and frankly, I want my OS to compliment what I use the OS to do. So when i open a website, a program, or something else, I don't want the OS to distract me from the art that is coming up on screen.
Odd. I think the brushed metal is very distracting. The regular OS X theme is mostly white with subtle pinstripes. I consider that clean and attractive, but not distracting.

runeasgar said:
os x panther's theme is neutral and complimentary, exactly what I want.
More like lacking contrast. As people get older, they need more and more contrast in order to read things. The brushed metal look, which is actually a separate theme unrelated to the OS X pinstripes, is used to make the UI of consumer level device-like apps stick out, which is exactly opposite of what you are suggesting.

runeasgar said:
i guess you guys don't like the anodized aluminum powerbooks either?

No, I like them, and if you stick a powerbook in with other laptops, it really sticks out. They are shiny and elegant.

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
simple difference in opinion. I don't find the brushed metal distracting at all. I don't even notice it. It works without me noticing it, that's what I want. Whether it emphasizes things or not, I don't notice that it's doing it, but I appreciate the result.

It's funny that I hear about people disliking the OS X themes all the time online, and yet of the.. I dunno.. 7 or 8 other mac users I know, not a single person dislikes it. at least 4 or 5 have expressed how much they LIKE the theme.

dudemac

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
sinisterdesign said:
exactly. i LOVE the columns view, use it 95% of the time (except when i need to sort by date modified or something). but it's really annoying when i can't back up past my home folder. that's not the top level of the computer, now is it? let me back up 'til i can't back no more!

and for the person that was saying that the left finder toolbar is too large in panther, i agree. have you ever resized it to just the icons? i like that view much better.

If you use the path button instead of the back button it is possible to go the highest level. You just have to think about a little different than windows explorer type file browser. They are not the same and are not intended to be. So I while I understand the complaint, it seems to me that there is a unwillingness to change the way you think about file browsing. The windows metaphor is ok and it works but we should not limit the way something works to only that metaphor. Now I am not defending the obvious deficiencies in finder. I understand that this is one of the weakest apps on OS X, and it comes with the OS. ;)

just a thought.

Les McQueen

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2004
My Tiger wish list....

1. A revert back to Jag in the way it 'connects to server' when trying to hook up to another mac/pc. For some reason under Panther I can't get it to work properly. Jags way seemed to be better/easier.

2. An audible alert when one logs in with an incorrect password, rather than the silent shaking window thing.

3. No, the brushed metal can stay, I liked the pinstripes too. It's all good.

4. I know some people like it but personaly I cannot stand the sidebar in the open windows. So in the interest of fairness to all I would love to see at least an option to permanently disable it. Instead of haveing to manually customise each new folder you create.

5. A somehow simplified method of managing files/users would be nice. Why we have to have three of everything I don't know. Having three libraries can get very confusing sometimes. 'where is that prefernce file for so and so..?' 'did it go into my preferences or the global preferences?'

Yeah plenty more things could be tweaked i guess. Oh yeah, the ability to play a sound file on the fly. Remember system 9 where you'd click on a sound file and it just played. No opening Quicktime or iTunes. That would be sweet.

my 2 cents...

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
where could i find a liveupdating site that will be covering the keynote? i may not have enough b/w to view it. i just wanna know what's up and what's being announced. some screenshots would be neat =]

Kalama Jim

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2004
Kalama, WA, USA
Busted !

JohnStrass said:
How about for home users the simple ability to SHUT DOWN (from any user) with the option of not having to log-in to each user and log them off. It is a pain in the butt for me to turn off my iMac then I get this stupid meessage cause my wife used a program under her user. I just want to be able tu turn off the computer ASAP sometimes.
:eek:

If your wife walks in and you're "surfin'" where ya shouldn't oughta' be ... unplug the darn thing ...

Back to

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
9 pages of speculation...

... and I had nothing to post. Went back to the MacRumors homepage for more brain-drain, had a change of heart, and decided that since I read 9 pages of this stuff, I had better post something to encourage the conversation:

These photos are fake. You heard it from me.

These photos are real. You heard it from me.

See if I'm not right.

Analyzing the ideas: i am sometimes unsure of where certain settings are in the pref panel, I like it. Konfabulator look alike - while cool, not useful or appreciated unless integrated in a VERY impressive way. i like the pipeline.gif file... it's the most impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.