Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Did anyone bother to check the jury, and wether they owned apple or Samsung products, bet that swayed the vote lol

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I'm looking forward to the new iPhone. LTE, a thinner design, and possibly NFC all appeal to me..

Which is all well and good, but I'd like a much larger screen, and maybe an actual update of some kind to iOS? After ICS and going to JB soon, I can't deal with iOS anymore, time for an overhaul. And, why ditch google maps? its the best for what it does.

As for the Surface, I'm sure Tim Cook knows quite well that Microsoft will be marketing that device hard. For all we know, he's comfortable with Apple having 20-30% of a market 4 times as large as he is with owning 70% of today's market.

Its the surface RT that will compete with the iPad imo.

The market the Surface Pro is targetting wouldn't buy an iPad to start with, so no need to worry about that.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So, other than looking like a rectangle.

They run different OS's, use different hardware, have a different amount of buttons, are different sizes, use different apps, and aren't even made of the same material?

Yes, copying!

Read the jury verdict again. The phones infringed, the tablets didn't. Therefore, Apple didn't get away with patenting the rectangle. They did convince a jury that their phones were originals that Samsung unfairly copied. As for tablets, the iPad was the first successful one, but it wasn't the first that looked like it.

----------

Which is all well and good, but I'd like a much larger screen, and maybe an actual update of some kind to iOS? After ICS and going to JB soon, I can't deal with iOS anymore, time for an overhaul. And, why ditch google maps? its the best for what it does.

Its the surface RT that will compete with the iPad imo.

The market the Surface Pro is targetting wouldn't buy an iPad to start with, so no need to worry about that.

They are probably ditching Google Maps for the same reason that Samsung may eventually "ditch" Android and go with Tizen or Bada. They probably don't want to become that dependent upon a third party. Google is free to make their own Google Maps app for iPhone If it's good, my guess is Apple will easily approve it.

----------

Did anyone bother to check the jury, and wether they owned apple or Samsung products, bet that swayed the vote lol

The judge thought of that already.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57499944-37/how-qualified-is-the-apple-samsung-jury-we-found-out/

----------

The worst thing about this verdict is the truck full of sour grapes folk are going to have to put up with.

Just put those sour grapes into an oak barrel for the winter. You'll have some nice wine next spring. :)

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
ri

Or perhaps, the jury got that Apple originated and executed the concept. I'm pretty sure most people would recall this, fanboy/girl or not because it was monumental when the iPhone came out. :)

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I think Apple needed to do something. Samsung did blatantly copy the iPhone in a big way. Most other phones appear to be somewhat different. Ironically, I think the other big winner is Microsoft.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Gotta be honest. Kinda getting sick of Apple's attitude.

For some they could be tired of Apples attitude even when they are right to a degree. My issue with their attitude is in part with issues like these, now with You Tube, Google, Adobe Flash, Blu-ray, living too far in the future etc... they also have many strong points of where they have taken tech today. Just feels that we are often reading about an issue Apple has with another company all too often.

kreach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Just cant help wonder if the samsung will stop making components for apple now...

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Well said Timmy. Well said.

For those who wish to read Samsung's statement.

"Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple’s claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."

Taken from WSJ.
Posted for completeness purposes.
Except that was one Apple lost. :rolleyes: It makes a nice sound bite, but it's false.

freeskier989

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2007
So with the extra 1 Billion will they now be able to treat their retail employees a little better and not cut their hours, lay them off right after training? Maybe not have to make the Foxiconn employees work 16 hour days? Just asking.

tCdemon

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Placentia, CA, USA
This is great!!! That will show Samsung! But $1 Billion dollars is like $1 Million Dollars to Apple (chump change). lol...this is the type of change Steve Jobs would of had found on that fifth little pocket of his jeans!

Apple 1
Samsung 0

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
good for innovation my rear end. If Apple was not abusing the crappy American patent system then yeah but those patents are crapents and Apple is just continuing to prove it is the worlds largest patent troll.

This is a sad day. It means I can patent crap and if I have enough money I can be a patent troll. Apple is to scared to compete any more so they have got to litigation.

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009

Your so dumb its painful.

Read the jury verdict again. The phones infringed, the tablets didn't. Therefore, Apple didn't get away with patenting the rectangle. They did convince a jury that their phones were originals that Samsung unfairly copied. As for tablets, the iPad was the first successful one, but it wasn't the first that looked like it.

----------

They are probably ditching Google Maps for the same reason that Samsung may eventually "ditch" Android and go with Tizen or Bada. They probably don't want to become that dependent upon a third party. Google is free to make their own Google Maps app for iPhone If it's good, my guess is Apple will easily approve it.

----------

The judge thought of that already.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57499944-37/how-qualified-is-the-apple-samsung-jury-we-found-out/

----------

Just put those sour grapes into an oak barrel for the winter. You'll have some nice wine next spring. :)

YUM!!! I think that would sit nicely w/ a perfectly executed London Broil and I don't even eat meat!!! Booyah!!! :apple :D

----------

Just cant help wonder if the samsung will stop making components for apple now...
Frick NO!!! Samsung undoubtably makes great tear. Apple knows this but it is important to hold your ground. The business will work itself out. :cool:

----------

Frick NO!!! Samsung undoubtably makes great gear. Apple knows this but it is important to hold your ground. The business will work itself out.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It's about time justice had been served. :apple:

of your photos only the first one is is even remotely valid.

The last 2 lets see not the same home screen. You have to to the app draw on the Android phone to get a grid of apps and that is no original to Apple.

Last one has been debunk multiple times. That is one is just fanboys picking and choosing.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Steve would have been proud of Tim. Tried to work it out with Samsung but when they would not come to terms, he nailed them.

tried to work it out. That is rich. They offered Samsung terms they knew Samsung would never agree to.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Were Apple fans. I love all my Apple products, but I am now done with this company that is trying to sue there way into a monopoly. I will keep what I have, but will not be purchasing anything new from them. I know I will get negative comments since I didn't give Apple praise, and the faithful do not look past the :apple: symbol.

^ This is one of the more ignorant comments I've read on here.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but from that statement alone I think that you're woefully uneducated as to the process of patenting technology and protecting ideas. These safe guards are VITAL to a companies identity and IP and if another company wants to use that specific idea... they MUST pay a royalty. Or... they can also choose to not use it and pay nothing.

OR they can go ahead and copy the design, feel and function of the idea... redress it and risk infringement.

That is exactly what Samsung did in this case... with multiple patents over a long period of time. It was absolutely wrong and if this verdict isn't enough evidence to sway your opinion... just wait until the full transcripts and court documents are released.

This verdict will inspire SO MUCH innovation in the long run and THAT will be healthy for the market, the industry as a whole but most importantly... US. The people who embrace and love new, exciting and innovative technology.

This also means that Apple will have to CONTINUE to innovate and build upon the tech foundation they already have. Although in the short term this will give Apple a much needed "leg up"... this ruling will ultimately force other companies to "think differently" which will in turn... keep Apple on it's "toes".

This is a win for everyone... even, ironically, Samsung - so long as they understand what this means for their design and development teams along the road ahead.

The next 5 years or so... WILL... be interesting indeed.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Were Apple fans. I love all my Apple products, but I am now done with this company that is trying to sue there way into a monopoly. I will keep what I have, but will not be purchasing anything new from them. I know I will get negative comments since I didn't give Apple praise, and the faithful do not look past the :apple: symbol.

This may be the dumbest thing I've heard for a long time.

1) you'll buy inferior products to prove a point, that's just punishing you.

2) defending your patents doe not mean having a monopoly.

3) Samsung can and could have developed something different, but didn't. They could have developed a license agreement, but didn't. Look at Windows phone. Looks different, works different, licensed with cross patents as needed, and no problem.

Don't break anything getting off that high horse.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
good for innovation my rear end. If Apple was not abusing the crappy American patent system then yeah but those patents are crapents and Apple is just continuing to prove it is the worlds largest patent troll.

This is a sad day. It means I can patent crap and if I have enough money I can be a patent troll. Apple is to scared to compete any more so they have got to litigation.

Copying is not innovation. A lot of patents are for protecting such innovations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.