Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You and me too, I can't help but remember the comments on MR after the Galaxy Gear was released, laughing how Apple wouldn't release something with less than 2 days battery life and a touchscreen/simple zoom interface. As far as I can see it's just a nicer version of a Gear. Nobody I know who's tried it has said its interface was intuitive like the iPhone immediately was, though they'll 'learn to love it'. =/

Ah well, I'm not one to judge on how people spend their money. If it works for them and it's a useful tool, it's good that Apple have a product in the wearable market.
It's pretty easy to use as far as I'm concerned. It's also a LOT smaller than the Gear and doesn't look like a hockey puck strapped to your wrist (I'm looking at you Moto 360).

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Trying to hide it in 'Other products' reveals Cook's insecurity and complete lack of confidence in this device.
I am not sure what the reasons are, but to be honest, I do not understand why Apple cannot just reveal the real numbers. What's the deal here? Anyway, if yo do the math and if we assume that revenue was at 1Billion and that everybody got the 400$ model, then Apple sold around 2,5 million watches. If that's the case, then the Apple Watch is already the most successful smartwatch. It could do much better though if it had one killer feature..

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm skeptical, cause if the sales were beyond expectations, Tim would be quoting numbers. Given Apple's current user base, beating the sales of the original iphone/iPad just means releasing a new Apple product at a relatively low cost that the sports model was .

They should just come out and say what the sales were. Clearly there is a user base out there that really likes this product.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I am not sure what the reasons are, but to be honest, I do not understand why Apple cannot just reveal the real numbers. What's the deal here? Anyway, if yo do the math and if we assume that revenue was at 1Billion and that everybody got the 400$ model, then Apple sold around 2,5 million watches. If that's the case, then the Apple Watch is already the most successful smartwatch. It could do much better though if it had one killer feature..

I think it's by far the biggest selling smartwatch out there, I just think apple might be embarrassed to quote a "low" number compared to what's about happen when they launch the iPhone 6s, it would put into perspective what a very small uptake there is (you need an iPhone to use an Apple watch). I'm sure they would love to quote , 1 in 5 iPhone users etc have an Apple watch

Reactions: Soccertess

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
They're not being "transparent" because, as I mentioned in the previous MR post, Tim Cook said that Apple would NOT be reporting those numbers months before the watch even went on sale.

Was the excuse he used , not wanting to give the competition sales data? Seems lame, given how quickly apple tells everyone how awesome an iPhone launch is....sales data.

It's like even before launch, apple were skeptical about thier new product. I'm certain had it been a run away success, numbers would be being throw around.

It's thier business, they can do as they like, but when there is no transparency, it's just fuel for debates in forums like this

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Was the excuse he used , not wanting to give the competition sales data? Seems lame, given how quickly apple tells everyone how awesome an iPhone launch is....sales data.

It's like even before launch, apple were skeptical about thier new product. I'm certain had it been a run away success, numbers would be being throw around.

It's thier business, they can do as they like, but when there is no transparency, it's just fuel for debates in forums like this
~4 million units is a runaway success. That beats all smartwatches sold, ever, combined, up to the Watch's launch date.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Many watch owners are also waiting for the dust to settle ....on their apple watches that are currently sitting in the junk drawer! lol

How many people do you know that just throw a $350+ purchase in the back of the junk drawer?

FWIW, there has been a spike of Apple watches in the wild over the last few weeks. People seem to be enjoying their purchase. I've been wearing a Gear Fit since May and I can see the value in a wearable.

When I switch back to Apple from android in September I will probably score an Apple Watch the same day.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I just don't see a lot of young people wearing watches anymore. Apple will sell some watches and it will probably do fine as a hobby product, but honestly I don't see it becoming the next "big thing" like the iPhone. I still wear a watch, but I'm in my late 30's and my younger friends in their early 20's laugh about it saying that no one wears them anymore except old farts. :)
You're in South Dakota! You don't see a lot of anyone at all!

Jokes aside, the Apple Watch brought in more revenue than the Microsoft Surface line. Just think about that.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
" The "smart" watch isn't that smart of an idea, because it's a category which solves NOTHING, and is needed by no one at all.

Sales figures speak - listen to them.

I agree with everything you said. The only thing is I thought the original rumours of Apple watch having over 10 health sensors was the key to cracking wearables for the masses. When rumors about blood glucose level monitoring were spreading, I thought lots of people would love that, even if they do not have diabetes but that just want to monitor themselves.

I know people would say that one example of glucose monitoring is unnecessary for the masses, but just having information that you can't normally get would be that new category with that simplicity you described earlier.

Anywho... Turns out those rumors weren't true..

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I guess some guys here wanted the AW to miserably fail, so even if Tim came with a solid sale numbers, they would try to twist it and make it untrue. Just out of curiosity, why does MR attract these kind of people?

Reactions: djcerla and Bbqthis

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Lame or not those are the reasons.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
~4 million units is a runaway success. That beats all smartwatches sold, ever, combined, up to the Watch's launch date.

I agree it's sold more than all smart watches to date, though maybe wearables is not the next best thing? Maybe that is the issue here?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Lame or not those are the reasons.

Something like this :)

Apple : We beat all other smartwatch sales to date with just our pre-orders with x amount
Competition : they sold x amount, with that info we can stage a comeback!!!

User base: not interested in a smartwatch....

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
They're not being "transparent" because, as I mentioned in the previous MR post, Tim Cook said that Apple would NOT be reporting those numbers months before the watch even went on sale.
They’re not being transparent????
Tom Cook comments, doesn’t release numbers yet he’s being transparent?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So they are afraid of Samsung now, is that what you're saying?

No. Apple has been kicking Samsung's teeth in the last year; just look at Samsung's heavy decline in sales and profits. And they like kicking them more when they are down. Never give a sucker a break. That's why Apple doesn't give sales information to Samsung. They destroyed Samsung's wearable business (remember Samsung's "stalker" watch? ) and don't want to give them a chance.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
According to same analysts, Apple Watch sales were around 1.2 million..

Doesn't seem all that strong to me, but I must admit, I have always been extremely skeptical of this product.
You might want to check what the iPad sold in its first quarter -- considering the Watch sold more, and stick your skepticism to something close to reality

Reactions: V.K.

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
Especially over the last few weeks, I feel like I've been seeing the watch pop up everywhere. This morning, my barista at Starbucks had one on. Later, I was in a meeting at work yesterday, and four different people had Apple watches on—all stainless steel. Even when I was going for a run, it seems like most people who wear watches while running are wearing Apple watches. I think these are going to be ubiquitous in the next couple years.
I work in a secure unit which bans smart watches and other communication devices. We are definitely seeing more apple watches on a week by week basis.

Reactions: coltman75

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
agree with the style comment. I hate the look of the apple watch.

Knowing some people who like their apple watch has actually made me look at some other watches that can receive smartphone notifications like the garmin fenix or one of the suunto watches.
I've got the fenix 3, I can't switch to the apple watch until we get a gps chip, sleep metrics, 48 hour plus battery etc

Reactions: nostaws

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Considering he, as CEO of the company, has a legal obligation to increase shareholder value, would anyone have expected any other narrative?

This quote is as much "news" as reporting that water is wet.

There is no such legal obligation. If he had such an obligation, he would have no obligation to increase short-term shareholder value. He has the obligation to further the goals of the company, as written down in their company statutes.

Reactions: peterdevries
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.