Tim Cook Calls Today's Launch of iOS 11 and ARKit 'A Day To Remember'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook appeared on Good Morning America earlier today to discuss topics surrounding iOS 11, taking place a few hours ahead of the software update's launch later this afternoon. One of the major topics of the conversation Cook had with Robin Roberts centered upon augmented reality and ARKit, which will introduce advanced AR features onto compatible iPhones and iPads.

As he has in the past, Cook talked excitedly about augmented reality, explaining that the AR features of iOS 11 are a "huge" addition to the iPhone and iPad ecosystem and will be "unbelievable" for users.

[​IMG]
    Roberts then pointed out that AR has been around for a long time before Apple began to work on the technology, and Cook responded by explaining that the company is "taking the complex and making it simple," with the help of the ARKit developer framework.

Cook capped off the discussion of iOS 11 and ARKit by calling today "a day to remember."

The interview then shifted to the iPhone X and facial recognition, where Cook reiterated that user privacy and security are not an issue with the upcoming smartphone. "Once you place your face in the phone, it's in the phone, and Apple doesn't have it," he explained, further pointing out that only those you allow access to your iPhone will be able to get the data.
    In response to a viewer question, Cook said the cost of the iPhone X is a "value price" for the technology inside of the smartphone. He also said that "very few people" will actually pay the full price of the iPhone at launch, thanks to monthly payment plans that various carriers and Apple itself offers.

Other topics include Cook's response to the potential end of the DACA program, as well as different user questions surrounding Face ID. You can watch the full nine-minute interview on Good Morning America's Facebook page right here.

Article Link: Tim Cook Calls Today's Launch of iOS 11 and ARKit 'A Day To Remember'

2. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Pretty sure Sept. 19th will not be remembered by the release date of some random OS.

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

We all know that they both need to be game changers.

4. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

IOS 11 is a massive disappointment, there's not much "new" in it. It's just chalked full of bandades.. Apple needs to redesign the interface, icons don't count fellas. Now moving away from the home button, time to really step up software development!

5. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Paying double down for the term pricing is a bad explanation even if it were a good value. Money is money.

6. bjoswald macrumors regular

bjoswald

Apple always had the best marketing in the business. Whether or not the product is useful is another story.

7. globalist macrumors 6502a

Cook should run for president already and leave the company to true visionaries.

8. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

i'm pretty surprised how half baked iOS 11 feels on my iPhone 7+

9. rpat701 macrumors regular

They used to. Disagree on that present day...they've gotten lazy and tired.

10. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

11. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

"A day to remember" Is he reciting lines from Independence Day?!

12. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Today we be remembered as a new software that slows down everyones phone and makes it buggy

13. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Apple is really doubling down on their PR push. They’re worried about the public’s perception of Face ID.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

15. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

16. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

NO!
    Now Tim Cook being fired or stepping down... That WOULD be a day to remember! :)

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I would have to agree with him but in a bad way.

18. Malbrute macrumors newbie

Malbrute

Yea I’ll remember it as the day they actually made iOS worse. I’m referring to the pointless removal of 3D Touch multitasking and the wishlist in the App Store.

19. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Oh, it's a day to remember, alright. Where all my kids' 32-bit apps got the boot. Great job nuking childhood memories, Tim.

20. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

His skin isn't thick enough to be president.

21. Xavier macrumors 68030

Darth Vader said something similar, and we know how well that turned out for the Death Star..

22. TheSapient macrumors member

I think these news shows, even if they are just light-news, should be embarrassed to just be commercials for a company trying to push a product.

23. brian3uk macrumors 6502

I know the hyperbole at Apple is not new and idk about you guys but I'm getting tired of it. They actually need some exceptional products to back up these statements.

24. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Yeah with downpayment you don't pay the full price, right? What a sleazy car salesman type of argument. Honestly the galaxy S8 is 650 USD and the iPhone 8 is 1050 USD where I live. The x much more than that. They are taking the piss.