Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently announced a new self-service repair program that will provide customers with access to Apple genuine parts, tools, and manuals for completing their own repairs of select devices, starting with iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 models. Apple said the program will launch early next year in the U.S. and expand to additional countries throughout 2022.

Apple CEO Tim Cook briefly shared his thoughts about self-service repairs in an interview with KTLA's Rich DeMuro (via 9to5Mac), saying that it "feels good" to offer manuals and parts to customers with the expertise to complete their own repairs. For most customers, however, Cook believes that the Apple Store will remain the best option for repairs.

Cook's full comments on the program, with light editing for clarity:
We realized that there were some people that wanted to this and that are trained to do this. They're the Popular Mechanics crowd if you will, which I love and have been focused on my entire life. It feels good to put the manuals out there, and get the parts out there, that enables people to do this. Still, if you're not comfortable doing that, we encourage you to come in the Apple Store and get it done for you. That's still the best way, perhaps, for most people. But if you're a technician, then have at it, because you're able to do it yourself.
Apple's self-service repair program will include an online store that will offer more than 200 individual parts and tools, the company said. In an internal memo obtained by MacRumors, Apple said the store will be operated by an unspecified third party. Apple plans to share more details about the program as it approaches launch.

Cook, speaking at the grand opening of Apple's new store at The Grove in Los Angeles, also reiterated that Apple is focused on augmented reality, artificial intelligence, and autonomy and said that Apple will use these core technologies in a variety of ways.

Article Link: Tim Cook Discusses Apple's New Do-It-Yourself Repair Program and More

I only want Tim Cook personally to repair my broken iPhone for me?

These hands only. Otherwise, NO, sorry.

Tim Cook 1.PNG

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It also seems like Tim Cook is the only person who is running Apple right now. Where is everyone else at from the leadership team? How come they don't see a light of a day outside of Apple?

View attachment 1917319
He’s just a popular guy… but, it’s also a sign that he’ll be around for quite some time, once others get more press, that’ll be a sign of succession in progress…

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I hope they open this up to laptops and ipads. Not like we don’t use ifixit for batteries already, but maybe better manufactured and tested batteries would be nice. Had to replace one of the ifixit ipad batteries twice as it swelled. Ifixit warranteed the battery and sent us another for free. The other ifixit ipad battery is having issues holding charge. Neither last 10 hours like the original batteries did.

• Wow
Reactions: amartinez1660

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Anyone who’s watched an iFixit iPhone tear down knows that cracking open an iPhone isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s by no means an easy or straightforward process. Very daunting and booby trapped with plenty of “oops I just ruined my iPhone” obstacles.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Reactions: sydneysider88

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Anyone who’s watched an iFixit iPhone tear down knows that cracking open an iPhone isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s by no means an easy or straightforward process. Very daunting and booby trapped with plenty of “oops I just ruined my iPhone” obstacles.
Aye. The self repair program is another source of broken iPhones for Apple to make mo' money. It's the same strategy I used when I was an Apple repair tech back in the '90's. I would give detail instructions on how to repair their machine. But because Macs back then were held together with easy to break tabs that required a specialized tool to open, they ended up bringing the machines in for additional work.
If y'all gonna do your own iPhone repair. If it calls for a specialized tool, buy one. Trying to McGyer it ain't gonna cut it.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Aye. The self repair program is another source of broken iPhones for Apple to make mo' money. It's the same strategy I used when I was an Apple repair tech back in the '90's. I would give detail instructions on how to repair their machine. But because Macs back then were held together with easy to break tabs that required a specialized tool to open, they ended up bringing the machines in for additional work.
If y'all gonna do your own iPhone repair. If it calls for a specialized tool, buy one. Trying to McGyer it ain't gonna cut it.
I swear, some of those 90's machines had booby traps inside. I remember working on a Performa and gaining a nice bloody hand because one of the tabs you mentioned snapped off. I think it was a Performa 6400, weird looking machine.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
I hope they open this up to laptops and ipads. Not like we don’t use ifixit for batteries already, but maybe better manufactured and tested batteries would be nice. Had to replace one of the ifixit ipad batteries twice as it swelled. Ifixit warranteed the battery and sent us another for free. The other ifixit ipad battery is having issues holding charge. Neither last 10 hours like the original batteries did.
Considering the new MBP has pull tabs under the battery I’d assume that they will be doing stuff for laptops too

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Considering the new MBP has pull tabs under the battery I’d assume that they will be doing stuff for laptops too
They said in the initial announcement that they’re starting with the iPhone 12s and 13s and expanding to M1 Macs.

Reactions: Lihp8270

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Tim is saying true things. “Most people” should bring to Apple Store.

It’s is a nice surprise to say the least; it should have been done sooner; but I will be happy that it is here now.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
People should just get their device repaired by Apple.

Too many horror stories about third parties who damage the device and then say 'No you gave it to me with a big scratch across it.'
And that’s what this program is: first party guides, tools, and parts to get it fixed via Apple using your own hands.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
And that’s what this program is: first party guides, tools, and parts to get it fixed via Apple using your own hands.

I've heard too many stories every week just browsing reddit or the Mac forums here. It's really hard for Apple to make sure a third party doesn't do a bad job or mishandle your device. But if you use Apple to repair a device then there is a much stronger chance they will do a top job.

90% of customers won't be able to handle batteries and they should not. This is a very toxic part and one break in the material releases a very toxic deadly gas when the battery reacts with air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.