Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The most surprising thing about this story is that the parts store will be run by a third party.
Not that surprising. They also outsource their trade-in program. I think it basically lets them off the hook if it's run below the standard of the rest of their business.

Reactions: Datalinks

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple is prepping self service for their future car business. Believe me, they won’t have garages or expand the stores to fit your Apple Car inside the Genius Bar. No, they will be self serviceable for most parts. With Mac and iPhone self repair, this lays out the logistics for getting full self service ready so when the Apple Car is released they will have staff and customer already trained and used to the process.
This seems like the most reasonable business logic with the added benefit of allowing Apple to assert control the terms of their version of repairs.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This is a win-win for Tim Apple. the get to virtue-signal by having the program and putting it out there, but then collect the money when people ruin their stuff trying to figure out how to fix it.
I mean duh. It’s the easiest decision ever. Also they can charge a higher profit margin on the parts than they’d cost if put into a brand new iPhone built from scratch by Apple. Either way it’s still better for the consumer to not have them buying a brand new phone When they can change the part.

Last edited:

square-mouse

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2021
I just imagine how these lazy workers, just like in this video, will dance and applaud when I repair my iPhone myself.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
I think the praise currently being heaped on Apple for allowing thewir devices to be repaired needs a pause until we find out the prices of those spare parts.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
People should just get their device repaired by Apple.

Too many horror stories about third parties who damage the device and then say 'No you gave it to me with a big scratch across it.
 does gouge and falsely quotes repairs that can be performed in minutes.
the classic example is a NYC repair shop fixing a problem that th apple store deemed unrepairable.

the sales people at apple stores are crooks at times, giving bad advice and insisting on apple care.
they are the 2000's bast buys now.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
So basically, the interview provided nothing new over what we already know. Pointless interview in my opinion.

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
It also seems like Tim Cook is the only person who is running Apple right now. Where is everyone else at from the leadership team? How come they don't see a light of a day outside of Apple?

View attachment 1917319
Let’s be honest, back in the olden days nobody asked “Why is it always Steve, where are the other guys?”

I find the rapid shifting between these at the recorded events disturbing, especially when their messages are so plainly rehearsed and repetitive. Though I do love Johny Srouji because I get the sense of a man that is the brain behind the design and philosophy.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
“the popular mechanics crowd”

- suddenly formed after The Right to Repair bill

”We realized that there were some people that wanted to this and that are trained to do this.”

Hehehe: ”oh we realised that some companies are actually capable and trained to have a billing and payment system for the things they sell” hehhe. There are many self evident things Tim will be forced to realize in the next 4 years or so. More than he wanted. This is just one of them But he is definitely prepared for it … as he was prepared for this one.

“They're the Popular Mechanics crowd if you will, which I love and have been focused on my entire life”

I guess not focused enough no?

The gaslighting master.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It also seems like Tim Cook is the only person who is running Apple right now. Where is everyone else at from the leadership team? How come they don't see a light of a day outside of Apple?

View attachment 1917319

Tim Cook is more of the face of the company. Like how Steve Jobs was really "out there", even though there were definitely many folks behind the scenes making things work.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
 does gouge and falsely quotes repairs that can be performed in minutes.
the classic example is a NYC repair shop fixing a problem that th apple store deemed unrepairable.

the sales people at apple stores are crooks at times, giving bad advice and insisting on apple care.
they are the 2000's bast buys now.

They should be insisting on apple care. It's a much better choice than getting repairs. A lot of people I see walking around with broken screens are regular drinkers who get drunk on Friday and drop their phones like idiots. They waste money on getting drunk and repairs. Those type of people seem to be common and they should consider Apple Care if they don't want to change their habits.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
They should be insisting on apple care.
insist is good as in advise once or twice.
badgering is not, like my 2017 experience with buying an iPad
that salesperson would not stop over getting cares.
i would hav lost all that glorious green cash if i bent the knee.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
insist is good as in advise once or twice.
badgering is not, like my 2017 experience with buying an iPad
that salesperson would not stop over getting cares.
i would hav lost all that glorious green cash if i bent the knee.
I have never seen an Apple employee badgering out of dozens of purchases and hundreds of visits. They are all trained along the same customer friendly guidelines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.