Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook on Sunday tweeted that Apple employs 250 so-called "dreamers," or individuals who were brought to the United States at a young age when their parents or guardians illegally immigrated to the country.

"I stand with them," said Cook. "They deserve our respect as equals and a solution rooted in American values."

Cook's tweet comes shortly before U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to announce whether he will end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) immigration program as he promised.

Last week, Cook and around 300 other business leaders signed an open letter urging Trump to preserve the program, and to pass the bipartisan DREAM Act or similar legislation as a permanent solution.

DACA allows many illegal immigrants who entered the United States at age 16 or under to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation, and eligibility for a work permit in the country. The program was created by way of an executive order signed by former President Barack Obama in 2012.

Trump vowed to end DACA during his presidential campaign, but he later admitted it would be a tough decision. Trump said young individuals enrolled in the program will be treated with "great heart."

If the program is ended, nearly 800,000 undocumented young individuals that fall under its protections would have the right to work legally until their two-year work permits expire, according to the Immigrant Legal Resource Center.

"Employment Authorization Documents (EADs), also known as work permits, are generally valid until they expire or the government demands they be returned," it said in an advisory posted to its website last week.

It's unclear if U.S. immigration authorities would then target those individuals for deportation, but it's certainly the feared outcome among those protected. Trump's decision is expected to be announced by Tuesday.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says 250 Apple Employees Are 'Dreamers' as Donald Trump's Decision on DACA Nears

Last edited:
Reactions: Stryder541

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Aren't all Americans illegal immigrants in a way? Why was it okay hundreds of years ago? Hypocrites.
Are you serious? Like do you honestly not have a clue about world history or something? There is a distinct difference between moving into an unsettled & ungoverned land and sneaking into an established country with laws and government.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I'll say this right at the onset: Tim Cook needs to give his left liberal political pandering since November 2016 a bloody effing break. I'm an immigrant from India myself, I currently work for Apple from Germany, I have family in the USA, and before Tim blindly starts defending Dreamers, he needs to read this: https://cis.org/Mortensen/DACA-Gran...mitting-Crimes-While-Abandoning-Their-Victims.

I support some of President Trump's policies and I believe that DACA should be reformulated from the ground up instead of being nullified.

Having said that, Tim Cook of late hasn't ceased downright disgusting me. We get it that Tim is a die-hard Hillary Clinton fan but he just can't seem to be able to keep his head out of politics.

KKK, Nazis, white supremacsists are vile, demented creatures—there's no defending ANYTHING they stand for. But where are Cook's Twitter condemnations and fundraising against rabidly hateful and intolerant leftist groups like Antifa, who (quite literally!) burn down every single free speech rally at college campuses without a single consequence?

What happens to his voice when Islamists openly urge for a Jewish genocide in America in the name of "freeing Palestine"?!

Where is this coward when cop-killing BLM groups conduct riots, vandalize local businesses, loot, destroy for months in a row during the 2-term presidency of a black man!?

In which hole in the ground does Tim Cook hide when rabid feminists take the stage—physically or on mainstream media—and demand the systematic suffering of men, especially white males in America?

As a brown man that has seen plenty of these pseudoliberals in my own country, there's nothing worse than a duplicitous, hypocritical COWARD with connections to influence, and tons of cash to spend toward their own agenda.

Tim, take your private jet and come see the state of Germany after it took in 3 million undocumented immigrants. Roam around Düsseldorf for a while, then take a flight to Paris and then drop in at Rome after that. Maybe what you will witness will help you SHUT your mouth and have you consider focusing on your goddam job again.

Last edited:

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Aren't all Americans illegal immigrants in a way? Why was it okay hundreds of years ago? Hypocrites.

Uhhhh, NO.

They are immigrants. But not illegal. Although I have a feeling you knew that but just wanted to stir the pot a little.

There was no centralized government setting immigration laws when Europeans etc first came over. Many of us are the descendants of LEGAL immigrants that followed the laws set forth by the government at the time (whether they were more or less strict than today is another conversation) and did whatever it took to be here legally.

Including people like me whose family came here LEGALLY from countries like Syria that are in the news so much these days.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Are you serious? Like do you honestly not have a clue about world history or something? There is a distinct difference between moving into an unsettled & ungoverned land and sneaking into an established country with laws and government.

Oh you mean like the Spanish, English, Portuguese and French did to the indigenous peoples of the New World?

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Uhhhh, NO.

They are immigrants. But not illegal. Although I have a feeling you knew that but just wanted to stir the pot a little.

There was no centralized government setting immigration laws when Europeans etc first came over. Many of us are the descendants of LEGAL immigrants that followed the laws set forth by the government at the time (whether they were more or less strict than today is another conversation) and did whatever it took to be here legally.

Including people like me whose family came here LEGALLY from countries like Syria that are in the news so much these days.

Whitewashing history much?
Genocide was just as illegal back then as it is now and will be, as long as we call ourselves civilized human beings.

This is about children and teeangers by the way, who didn't have a CHOICE because they were brought by their parents many years ago. Many of them have spent nearly their whole life in the country and some don't even speak the language of their parents anymore. Sending them back into a country that will be entirely foreign to them will destroy their lives. And you want to pat yourself on the back for that? Jeez.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
American citizens come before dreamers. If they want jobs here, they need to be naturalized. I Support President Trump

Your statement assumes - without providing proof - that employment is a zero-sum game. You're also assuming that these Dreamers don't want to be naturalized, which I believe is untrue - the obstacles are on the US side.

Currently the country is just about at what is considered by economists to be "full employment". While there are certainly some people who will fall through the cracks, most of the folks who currently can't find work just have a skill set which isn't in demand. The reason coal miners are unemployed, for example, is not because their jobs have been stolen by illegal immigrants... it's because there's little demand for coal miners now.

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
Surely these Dreamers were/are underage, so had no control over where their parents took them. Thus why punish them for where they ended up at maturity through no fault of their own. They can contribute to the economy and society by getting an education and job, just like any US citizen can. To stop them from improving their lives, and contribute to society, helps no one.

That's why Cook is on the right side of history here, while Trump is sounding and looking needlessly vitriolic and is effectively standing on his own.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
no 1 this is a fake photo.

no 2 Illegal is illegal, there are processes that could make them legal.

no 3 Law should be changed, born children in USA should not get American nationality, on the other hand this means more money for the state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.