Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
There's lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The topic was not "what percentage", rather "do illegal aliens add to the number of criminal acts".

Very basic: If there were no illegal aliens, would the number of crimes, arrests, prosecutions, and incarcerations decrease?
Answer: Yes. In Texas it would be significantly.

Lies? You're the one bending the truth. If I gave you $1 dollar would your bank account increase? Yes. Would you be able to pay rent? No

The truth is, the crime rate is low amongst immigrants according to your numbers

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Lies? You're the one bending the truth. If I gave you $1 dollar would your bank account increase? Yes. Would you be able to pay rent? No

The truth is, the crime rate is low amongst immigrants according to your numbers

That makes no difference. Your analogy is not the same or close.
The numbers I provided are for Texas by Texas DPS. They have a significant number of crimes, arrests, prosecutions, and incarcerations due to illegal aliens. If Texas had no illegal aliens, their current crime level would drop significantly.

Play the numbers game all you want.

Just for you, my mangled quote origination:
It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point. The term was popularised in United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
That makes no difference. Your analogy is not the same or close.
The numbers I provided are for Texas by Texas DPS. They have a significant number of crimes, arrests, prosecutions, and incarcerations due to illegal aliens. If Texas had no illegal aliens, their current crime level would drop significantly.

Play the numbers game all you want.

Just for you, my mangled quote origination:

Your numbers for DACA was 2.6%, which is extremely low. What's the total number of aliens in TX? Your flat number of criminals in TX tells us nothing.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

The topic was not "what percentage", rather "do illegal aliens add to the number of criminal acts".
No. That's just what you wanted the topic to become after the fact.

The topic was initially the fact that you found the number of DACA recipients to commit crimes to be shocking. When they commit crimes at a significantly lower rate than everyone else.

Then you switched to the scary number of alien arrests in Texas. When I pointed out that they are also arrested at a significantly lower rate than Texans as a whole, you said that fact was irrelevant because you just want to talk about raw numbers without any context.

Fortunately, what you want to talk about doesn't make my numbers irrelevant. It just makes them different than what you want to read.
[doublepost=1504898080][/doublepost]
Your numbers for DACA was 2.6%, which is extremely low. What's the total number of aliens in TX? Your flat number of criminals in TX tells us nothing.
I think aliens were about 4% of the total arrests in Texas IIRC. Is that significant? Eye of the beholder. I guess you can argue that even one murder is significant, but that's really missing a larger point.

Reactions: MrX8503

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
No. That's just what you wanted the topic to become after the fact.

The topic was initially the fact that you found the number of DACA recipients to commit crimes to be shocking. When they commit crimes at a significantly lower rate than everyone else.

Then you switched to the scary number of alien arrests in Texas. When I pointed out that they are also arrested at a significantly lower rate than Texans as a whole, you said that fact was irrelevant because you just want to talk about raw numbers without any context.

Fortunately, what you want to talk about doesn't make my numbers irrelevant. It just makes them different than what you want to read.

You are both obviously in denial. That's okay though. Stuck on percentages like that obviates that illegal aliens add significantly to the number of crimes. You will notice I didn't say percentage.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You are both obviously in denial. That's okay though. Stuck on percentages like that obviates that illegal aliens add significantly to the number of crimes. You will notice I didn't say percentage.

The ratio is relevant to determine how much of a problem it is.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Of course my position is ridiculous, but it is intentionally so. It is meant to highlight an even more absurd view held by some people, who view these people as less "American" than themselves.. Only because the "foreign aliens" who brought them over here were a couple of generations removed.

Point being is - we are all immigrants in this country, and we should do all we can to welcome and accommodate the new arrivals. Even those whom were brought into this country without proper "papers".

The point that went completely over your head, apparently.

Stop being so human-centric. There were living things in North America before the first native peoples set foot on the soil. For that matter the entire Earth. Have you bothered to find out what the single celled organisms desire? What about random RNA strings?

In any case, as ridiculous as I think this person's position is I don't see any absolute being a great path forward for those previously covered under DACA. It's a complex issue that can't be sorted out in a pithy internet forum post.

edit: corrected spelling of "pithy"

Reactions: MrX8503

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Patronizing you is the opposite of what I said or think. And you are not well read - or perhaps well read is all you are - not the same as experiencing the American political reality - you know little of what you are spouting off about in America. Perhaps you would be better served to focus your energy fighting Brexit (as your signature indicates) instead of pontificating so much about American politics. We kicked your ass out of the Colonies in 1776 for good reason.
What a bizarre post. I’ve toured America and go so far as to begin setting up a studio there, a process I’ve put on hold for the foreseeable future. Again - don’t assume folk haven’t researched and don’t have a grasp on what’s going on. It’s a mistake that removes all maturity from your argument.

One can have multiple projects, we are not single-minded beasts. You don’t have to be this way, Apple Corps.

Reactions: arkitect

1applerules1

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
Please keep whining about how much you hate the country.
[doublepost=1504883704][/doublepost]

I know you won't admit it, but America is already great.

I'll never understand how conservatives can be so unpatriotic toward a country they claim to love. I guess it's all an act.
America was great before obama and after. Not while he was president, he made the country into a door mat.
[doublepost=1505036357][/doublepost]
Of course, the only president to not plunge us into the worst debt in US history over the last 40 years was a Democrat. Obama signed every border security funding bill that Republicans put on his desk and deported more people that any other president. And we have the longest period of job growth ever.

But you go on with your myopic rant.
Obama let iran have an nuclear weapons program and he paid them under the table to do it. What a crappy leader he was.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
If Texas had no illegal aliens, their current crime level would drop significantly.

Just like their population, which would increase the change of every citizen to fall victim of the lower number of crimes...

Questions: are illegal aliens more likely to commit a crime than other Texas residents? even if you substract crimes connected to their illegal status?
[doublepost=1505043960][/doublepost]
Obama let iran have an nuclear weapons program and he paid them under the table to do it. What a crappy leader he was.

Obama did everything for slowing down Iran's nuclear program short of starting another pointless war.

He then gave them THEIR money back that the US had frozen against international law.

Buuuuuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
What a bizarre post. I’ve toured America and go so far as to begin setting up a studio there, a process I’ve put on hold for the foreseeable future. Again - don’t assume folk haven’t researched and don’t have a grasp on what’s going on. It’s a mistake that removes all maturity from your argument.

One can have multiple projects, we are not single-minded beasts. You don’t have to be this way, Apple Corps.

"Touring America" is in no way comparable to living here and having participated and contributed to the American experience for decades. What is bizarre is your pontificating so much about our political space w/o any basis other than being "well read" or having "toured" America. Conflating reading about and / or touring America with having lived it removes all validity from your pontificating.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Just like their population, which would increase the change of every citizen to fall victim of the lower number of crimes...

Questions: are illegal aliens more likely to commit a crime than other Texas residents? even if you substract crimes connected to their illegal status?
[\

No it isn't. The question was do illegal aliens add to the number of crimes. Texas DPS says yes. Quit trying to play the percentage game just to make it look "better".

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
hint - I didn't bring it up.
[doublepost=1504726229][/doublepost]

The original point (not mine) was that illegal aliens add to crime. Then someone else shifted that to DACA criminal activity. I provided the numbers published by Texas DPS as an example that illegal aliens add to crime. In Texas the number is significant.
DACA, if the applicants were properly vetted, should add minimally to actual crime.

Ah, I didn't understand how the thread evolved.

Also, I still don't agree with that the argument illegal aliens add to crime is particularly useful construct, largely because its post-hoc logic that assumes the crime rate would be lower without millions of unauthorized immigrants.

It's worth noting that unauthorized immigrants are as often the victims of crimes as they are perpetrators, and because of their relationship to the U.S. legal system, it's far easier for unauthorized immigrants to be prosecuted and imprisoned than it is for U.S. citizens. Race and class come mightily to bear, and unauthorized immigrants are almost always at the bottom of that equation.

For instance, a white person picked up for minor drug possession will likely receive treatment and access to diversion programs. A unauthorized immigrant is going to jail, followed by deportation. Which means that drug problems, mental health issues, etc. are never addressed among the unauthorized immigrant population.

In fact, studies have shown that many of the kids who arrived as unaccompanied minors suffer from PTSD, due not only to the terrors of their own countries, but also their travels through Mexico—and the horrors of the Programa Frontera Sur.

These kids will largely be left untreated because there's no impetus to help them.

And, in the case of the Dreamers, it makes even less sense.

The ultimate point is that our immigration system, largely designed by racists who hoped to keep American "pure" and avoid the "mongrel state," has failed to serve our needs. We limited Mexican immigration just as we needed, and wanted millions of Mexican immigrants. And, we simultaneously broke the governments—and later the economics, and increasingly the climates—of the countries to the south. When millions came, we half-assed our enforcement paradigms largely to help big agriculture and low-end retail, and ended up with a system that fails everyone.

What we should do is create a pathway to legal permanent residency all current unauthorized immigrants. A new visa system for all workers—not just the misused H1B system—and a pathway to citizenship for dreamers.

Many have complained that any pathway to citizenship to dreamers is "amnesty" and allows for "chain migration."

First, yes it's amnesty. We're giving amnesty to a bunch of kids who came here at 6-years old and stayed, and now many of them are going to college. I can't think of a group better suited for amnesty.

Second, as for chain migration. That's an easy fix to the INA, and really, maybe we should limit how extended family members can be brought into the United States under a U.S. citizen. That's not a difficult alteration.

None of this is difficult. And, for the yammering about controlling borders or selecting immigrants, this country has no problem letting Slovenian models violate U.S. immigration law if they marry rich. But, enter the country as a toddler, and suddenly everyone gets legalistic.

Immigration has never been fair in this country. It's always been racist and classist. Let's stop kidding ourselves about our history. And, then let's create a reasonable system that serves our current needs. Worrying about a Republican failure from 31 years ago, or barking about the law that was created in 1954 doesn't help us.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Wow there are some terrible human beings on this forum. This post is about 250 WITH Jobs - not benefit scroungers ( not that the USA has any social care anyway )

This Thread needs to be shut down, deleted and burnt forever.

I find it utterly hilarious that the USA lives ( well used to live ) by the phrase "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

And the self-satisfied very forgetful Descendants of those very huddled masses have now voted in a Pathetic ignorant Game Show host to your highest office who may well start a major war via Twitter. It would make an incredible black comedy if it wasn't so horribly painfully true.

And just as a point of note - I am a pretty "conservative" person.

I am just as shocked as you are. I have always found the online tech and hard rock/metal musician forums to have really great people. I have been increasingly disillusioned with the mindset of many of my fellow Americans. This country has never been so divided in my 32 years of life. Frankly the events of the past 2 years have taken me by surprise. The aftermath from the Great Recession definitely brought out the worst in many people.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
That is an amazing photo.
I agree. it shows Tim Cook for the ungrateful spiteful man that he really is. Trump is improving the US economy which in turn gives Apple a better national and international playing field in wich to generate even more profits.

Tim Cook overall is a nice man most of the time, based on how he is portrayed. But on a few select issues, his true innerself shows. It's the terrible side of Tim Cook showing itself.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
"Touring America" is in no way comparable to living here and having participated and contributed to the American experience for decades. What is bizarre is your pontificating so much about our political space w/o any basis other than being "well read" or having "toured" America. Conflating reading about and / or touring America with having lived it removes all validity from your pontificating.
Again; it’s still strange that you want to gatekeep this so much. Once upon a time I owned property there after graduating university in the UK and spent some years there. But yeah. I have a strong suspicion that no time frame I offer will satisfy so all I can do is point out how strange it is to protect it so much, and worry over the type of mind that possesses no empathy (be it social or geographic). Instead of working out the correct time frame for allowing opinions to form on a country you could work out the problems of said country (just to take your EU argument from earlier). Cheerio!

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Again; it’s still strange that you want to gatekeep this so much. Once upon a time I owned property there after graduating university in the UK and spent some years there. But yeah. I have a strong suspicion that no time frame I offer will satisfy so all I can do is point out how strange it is to protect it so much, and worry over the type of mind that possesses no empathy (be it social or geographic). Instead of working out the correct time frame for allowing opinions to form on a country you could work out the problems of said country (just to take your EU argument from earlier). Cheerio!

And I worry about the type of minds that have no empathy for celebrating national borders and culture. If you want to push "progressive globalism" I suggest you focus on your own country and the EU. How is that going by the way?

England / Great Britain / the British Empire / the United Kingdom / all resolved or lots of issues? Brexit - hmmmmmm.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
And I worry about the type of minds that have no empathy for celebrating national borders and culture. If you want to push "progressive globalism" I suggest you focus on your own country and the EU. How is that going by the way?

England / Great Britain / the British Empire / the United Kingdom / all resolved or lots of issues? Brexit - hmmmmmm.
It’s odd I need to repeat myself but here goes - hopefully for the last time. I’m a fan of pointing stuff out blatantly in the hope it sticks.

One can hold multiple concerns at once. It’s wonderful. And being selfish I recently applied for my citizenship/passport for a pretty solid EU country, as to take off the stress of the situation. But yeah borderless is great, and hopefully Labour will get into power at the next election and can reunite the UK with such a powerful trading bloc. It’s so nice the amount of freedom one has in Europe, especially when it comes to travelling and running/owning a creative studio with offices here and on the mainland. That’s why I wanted to expand into the US but for now, with a man that said he “grabs [women] by the *****” in charge I guess that venture will have to wait.

It currently seems awfully primitive, much like those that want the UK to return to some ancient world-power time. Our education systems are in dire need of improvement, don’t you think?

Cheers!

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

Very basic: If there were no illegal aliens, would the number of crimes, arrests, prosecutions, and incarcerations decrease?
Answer: Yes. In Texas it would be significantly.

But, that's also true if you incarcerated, or removed, just about every other demographic. Remove white men aged 18-32 in Texas, and you'd also see a drop in crime.

And, remember again, that many crimes are also committed against unauthorized immigrants. So, yes, removing victims as well as perpetrators would reduce crime rates, but for a complete perverse reason.

All told, if you want to make the crime rate in Texas zero, you could just remove all the people. But, that's not a reasonable goal, either.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
But, that's also true if you incarcerated, or removed, just about every other demographic. Remove white men aged 18-32 in Texas, and you'd also see a drop in crime.

And, remember again, that many crimes are also committed against unauthorized immigrants. So, yes, removing victims as well as perpetrators would reduce crime rates, but for a complete perverse reason.

All told, if you want to make the crime rate in Texas zero, you could just remove all the people. But, that's not a reasonable goal, either.

True. However the original question was "if" illegals added to crime. At least in Texas, you have your answer.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
True. However the original question was "if" illegals added to crime. At least in Texas, you have your answer.

Yes, but I think this statement, while logical, ignores important context and if you extend this logic, this statement is true for nearly every single demographic group. Every demographic adds to crime, if you assume that such a group could be removed from the population.

It's literally true, but nearly irrelevant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.