Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timcook.png
Apple will launch products in new categories and the company is working on "really great stuff", according to an interview with CEO Tim Cook in The Wall Street Journal this evening.

He demurred when asked about specific possible products, but said anyone "reasonable" would consider Apple's upcoming products to be in new categories.

Cook has said on prior occasions that new product categories are coming for Apple in 2014 and, with this interview, he is likely looking to encourage spooked investors that Apple is still focused on growth.

Cook said in the interview that Apple remains a "growth company" and has significant opportunities in existing products as well as new ones. In addition, Apple strives to be the number one smartphone, tablet, and computer maker in the world.
He said his statement that Apple doesn't aim to make the most phones has been misunderstood.

"I don't view that as being satisfied with being small or however you want to define it," he said. "I just want to say that the macro thing for us is making a great product and we must do that. If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."
Apple executives have repeatedly said that they are only interested in making the best products in the world, not generating revenue for revenue's sake. Tim Cook has previously said that Apple is "focused on making great products that enrich lives" and that the company is "deeply committed to doing this and maniacally focused on it." He said last month that innovation is "deeply embedded" at the company and that Apple has "no issue" coming up with new ideas.

Elsewhere in the interview Cook revealed that Apple has repurchased $14 billion in stock over the past two weeks, and that the company is open to making large acquisitions if it makes sense.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Apple Working on 'Some Really Great Stuff' in New Product Categories

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Indeed, same thing he says every year. Could mean ANYTHING. I mean the line "we are working on some great new stuff" from Tim Cook means nothing more than saying its gonna be sunny some day.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
14 billion in the last two weeks? So that's why it kept bouncing off the $500 mark, up when the rest of the tech sector was down 1-3%.

ZOZO5

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2014
Tim's choices of words never get me as excited as Steve's did... He really is quite boring. Great choice for COO, not so much for CEO.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
i hate when he says this. is this going to become a every year thing?

My mom said, "Cook more talk less" i agree.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I have a lot of respect for Tim, but this isnt news. Tim ALWAYS says great things are coming, its a standard reply that he gives in interviews and I dont think it warrants an article.

If Tim is all about making great products rather than lots of different products how about he fixes Safari in iOS7 so that it doesnt crash all the time? I think that would be a good place to start because to be honest its bugging me to the point where my excitement for new products like the iWatch are fading. See, I dont have a problem with shelling out much more cash than I should for Apple's premium products, however I do have a problem when they most basic of functions dont work properly.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Well what do they expect him to say, 'We have no idea what we are doing now and Jony Ive just sits in a bar drinking all day with the rest of the design team.' Of course they are working on new stuff and I'm pretty sure they think its great otherwise they wouldn't be working on it.:rolleyes:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
i hate when he says this. is this going to become a every year thing?

My mom said, "Cook more talk less" i agree.

I could be wrong but I don't recall him being specific as to when these new category products will arrive. He says 'Apple is working on some really great stuff' which could very well be the truth, and knowing Apple, they take their time (usually several years) working on a new category product.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Well what do they expect him to say, 'We have no idea what we are doing now and Jony Ive just sits in a bar drinking all day with the rest of the design team.' Of course they are working on new stuff and I'm pretty sure they think its great otherwise they wouldn't be working on it.:rolleyes:

I know. Its stating the obvious really isnt it? :)

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

was going to write almost the same thing.
must be nice, when anything you say is news worthy :D

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This seems to be a typical working day for Jony since Forstall left.
sdjk48.jpg

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
"If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."

Hello iPhone 5C.

Also, how often does tim cook use the words "proud" and "products".

There's a drinking game for ya at Keynotes.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
"If we can't do that, we're not going to force ourselves to hit a price point that makes us produce a product that we're not proud of because we lose who we are in that. We're not going to do that."

Hello iPhone 5C.

Also, how often does tim cook use the words "proud" and "products".

There's a drinking game for ya at Keynotes.
Add in 'drink the whole bottle when Cook says "only Apple could have done it"' and you're golden.

But to be honest, the 5C didn't hit a new price point, so Cook's comment was right.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
Tim keeps on saying that line... afraid the public/media is going to shout again Apple "can't innovate anymore"? Keeping them eagerly waiting for the next big thing?

When this kind of questions are asked during interviews, he should ignore them or refuse to answer them. That'll keep the media/public even more interested! It would be much more mind-blowing if we didn't knew anything at all, when suddenly there's a "One more thing" at the conference that'll surprises us like Jobs always did. Now we know "really great stuff" is coming and we'll be eagerly waiting for it at conferences, while rumoring the boldest ideas, to be eventually disappointed... :(

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
I could be wrong but I don't recall him being specific as to when these new category products will arrive. He says 'Apple is working on some really great stuff' which could very well be the truth, and knowing Apple, they take their time (usually several years) working on a new category product.

Yeah because they just started working on the iWatch....hahaha are you for real?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006

personally i dont expect him to be saying anything. product releases should do the talking.

if i were to further elaborate i would say its because they arent delivering said products and pressure is creeping in.

i think its a worrying sign that a guy that is certainly not the creative muse in the company is saying this so often that it feels like groundhog day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.