Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Timmy is spinning this an an environmental thing? Like somehow trading an iPhone in to Apple is good for the environment but selling it on craigslist or passing it on to your parents isn't?

It amazes me that anyone still gives this bozo any credibility. How little ability for critical thinking do his fanatics have?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
This. Ebay is not an option especially with the 'box arrived empty' scams that are rampant. To some it's worth taking a hit not to have to worry about shipping, being scammed, charge backs, etc.
That's why you write down your IMEI number and report it stolen to the carrier if they do that. Then they have a phone they'll have to flash a new one to.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I just sold my XS Max for $785 on eBay, and it wasn't even in mint condition. According to Apple's site, they would have given me at most $550 for it.

This forum seems overly fearful of eBay. Just buy from and sell to reputable users with good feedback and you'll be fine. I rarely ever have bad experiences with it.
$785 after ebay, paypal and shipping/insurance fees? That's a sizeable cut right there.

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
Timmy is spinning this an an environmental thing? Like somehow trading an iPhone in to Apple is good for the environment but selling it on craigslist or passing it on to your parents isn't?

It amazes me that anyone still gives this bozo any credibility. How little ability for critical thinking do his fanatics have?
Tim doesn't care about the environment, it's all about the Benjamin's. Careful with what you say here though, got a warning for insulting little Timmy yesterday outside of the politics forum.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I have never heard of anyone using the programme but well if he says so so be it.

When we ordered a new iPhone just last week, we got us a quote for trade-in. As the back glass of the iPhone 8 had some little damage at one corner, they would offer us "free disposal". Don't know if the trade-in value is as bad in the US as it is in Germany, but at that offer, that was an easy yeah thanks but no.

"free disposal" means one less perfectly good working iPhone out there competing with a brand new iPhone. Every phone taken out of circulation is a win for Apple.

It's mind boggling that he can also claim that scrapping a working phone to sell a newly made one is Apple doing its bit for the environment, and people here line up to defend him and say he's right. The power people have to delude themselves and twist their own brains to hold onto a demonstrably wrong belief is staggering.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
$785 after ebay, paypal and shipping/insurance fees? That's a sizeable cut right there.
I can ship through UPS for free. After fees I netted $762, which is over $200 more than I would have received from Apple.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
That's all they'd do with them also (throw them in the trash)
Why would they give you money to do that?

As an aside - who are the people buying used AirPods?
Dis-Gus-Ting - so so gross..

IKR, kinda like people who eat out in restaurants.. in the same plates and silver that's been in 1000s of mouths.. yuk! ? ?

ralphdaily

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I don't understand why my trade-in last year on my series 3 cellular aluminum watch was $225 and this year for my series 4 cellular aluminum watch was only $100.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
IKR, kinda like people who eat out in restaurants.. in the same plates and silver that's been in 1000s of mouths.. yuk! ? ?

Plates and silverware can get effectively cleaned.
Good luck actually sanitizing all the little bits of an AirPod you will be jamming in your ear

Gross

Reactions: archer75

SemperMac

macrumors member
APPLE ? = CHICKENS ?

When asked whether Apple had a plan to encourage more third-party accessory makers to be more sustainable, Cook suggested that Apple is considering introducing some kind of sticker or label that indicates a particular product meets certain environmental standards, be it an iPhone case or a charging cable.

"[...] That is something we're talking about," he said. "I don't want to pre-announce it."

An eco-friendly badge would likely only apply to Apple-certified accessories that license hardware like the Lightning connector through the MFi Program.

So, when finally will we Apple dare (as first large manufacturer) focus on the EMF-radiation from mobile phones, antennas, wi-fi, Bluetooth (etc.) resp. SAR-levels of iPhones (etc.) trying to create smartphones (etc.) with the lowest radiation/SAR-levels.

I dare Apple to do this (being an Apple share-holder) knowing that they at Apple are too afraid to go down that road and risking it to back-fire when themselves drawing their customers attention to this potential health-risk!

CHICKENS ? !!!

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Depending on how noticeable the scratch is, you may be able to trade it in without them noticing. Go when it's busy, and they will rush you through the process.
I think I'll still wait and see what the iPhone 12 Pro brings. If there's no 5G I can get a mint used 11 Pro for a good price.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Plates and silverware can get effectively cleaned.
Good luck actually sanitizing all the little bits of an AirPod you will be jamming in your ear

Gross

lol.. I'll go on a limb and assume you've never worked in the food industry, or seen how silver is handled/cleaned (or utter lack thereof ) in the kitchen, esp during peak business hrs :) I'll just leave it at that...

Not endorsing, but you're galaxies better off cleaning and dis-infecting earpods that go in your ears, vs utensils off of which you ingest.. *stuff* from.. umm.... it's microscopic crevices ?

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
One of those upgrade programs where you get hundred bucks for a thousand dollar phone.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
What a Hypocrite !

Presenting innovative knowledge of such is one of the reasons Apple pulled our "Timmy" app on Sept 9th, the day BEFORE their BIG iPhone 11 event on Sept 10th.

Specifically, Timmy, as the planet's ONLY per-Qtr, per-Device iPhone "Unit Sales" Estimator app, included support that enabled Users to fine-tune their estimates by parsing-off some % of Reported iPhone Revenue that was due to Sales of Used iPhones (i.e., via the Trade-In program).

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
The same trade-in program that offers 0 € for my 7 with 128 GB but at least doesn't charge me for recycling my "old" device for me. What a joke.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
If Apple would have a minimum trade-in price like say $25-50, I would happily trade in some old devices on something new. As it is, the small amount of use I get out of the devices is better than the nothing Apple would give me. They could get a lot of material to recycle.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think MR uploaded the wrong header image. :D
222F710D-75A4-40FA-BB5E-1B6E077AFAE4.jpeg

SomeSoftwareGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Fully closed loop supply chain, that will be something to see, even if its only for the iphone. I believe in the Team!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.