Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PcBgone, Feb 19, 2008.

1. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Anyone know the exact date Time Capsule is shipping? Ive got mine ordered, but it just says February...February is almost over, we have 10 days left...

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Don't know but I'm dying to get one!

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah me too, I am leaving for 2 months on feb 28 so it better be out by then!

4. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

My order status hasn't changed since I placed the order on the same day they were announced:

TIME CAPSULE 1TB-USA
    Ships by: Feb 29
    Delivers by: Mar 5

5. ascender macrumors 68000

I know its not exactly an "exciting" product, but the wait for Time Capsule to ship has been excruciating for me. I'm not entirely sure why, but it just seems to have dragged. At long last, the 29th is next week, so fingers crossed that it doesn't get delayed any further.

6. PcBgone thread starter macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Thanks for this tidbit of info...I ordered through Amazon, as I could get free two day shipping, and no taxes. They just said it would ship in february. I had not heard of the feb 29th date....

7. kupua macrumors member

Exciting? Wireless backing up and 1 TB? and N router to boot. It should be! May be about $100 over priced but by apple standards, I think its fully worth it.

I just can't figure out why no noise on the ship info...

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

Why do you say that? You are getting a wired gigabite/802.11bgn router and either 500GB or 1TB of network storage. The price is very reasonable, compared to similar products, for what you are getting.

9. tim370 macrumors newbie

any word on the availability of Time Capsule in stores yet?

my mate is in the states for a few more days and it would be great if he could pick one up for me

10. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

I have one on order, but I still called around today.. no store in my area (Philadelphia) has any in stock. Two stores mentioned the same date for availability ( March 4th), but I dont think that really means anything.

11. tim370 macrumors newbie

thanks for the update - looks like i might miss out, ah well i'll just have to pay a bit more and grab it when it arrives in Aus

12. harddriveowner macrumors member

hard drive is way too small

To get excited over a 1 TB drive for those of us who do video is a joke. I would have ordered the Time Capsule if it were 4TB.
    This is supposed to allow all of the Mac's in the house to back up on Time Machine. This is America. We are all overweight and so are our Macs. The harddrive will be sued up very quickly and then it starts dumping the older data. The whole idea of this is to be able to retrace days or weeks.
    Unless you do just .doc word files, the space will be used up faster than the next model comes out with a huge hard drive.

13. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Show me a 4TB hard drive/n-router device thats 500 dollars.

14. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

If you're talking 4TB, you're talking 4 1TB hard drives. If you're using multiple drives in a backup solution, you're using RAID 1, which means you need 8 1TB hard drives.

Considering they go for about $200, you're looking at either $800 (if you don't use RAID 1-- highly risky) or $1600 if you do-- for hard drives alone. Plus, the device would be much, much larger.

Someone that NASty (haha, I'll be here all week) is better off picking up a Thecus unit or something similar, although I don't think even those have 8 SATA interfaces.

15. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Exactly my point.

16. c073186 macrumors 6502a

All I can say is I hope that in this supposed "event" next Tuesday, Apple announces that Time Capsule is ready to ship.

17. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

There's a USB port on the device that supports the connection of external drives. Presumably, those could be configured to augment the internal drive. That would solve space and expandibility issues.

Having said that, I can't imagine moving that much data over a wireless network. Time Capsule would be a terrible choice to solve that problem. FW800 or (preferably) eSATA would be much better suited to those data volumes.

18. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I've got a Thecus 5200 Pro here at the office. Running RAID 5 for a 2 TB array. It's a screamer man...

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

What about Gigabite Ethernet?

20. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

A wired NAS device would be a cheaper and probably higher performing approach than a Time Capsule with (presumably supported) multiple external USB drives.

If I had large media files that I wanted to protect, I wouldn't bother with hard disk backups at all for those files. I'd burn the files directly to DVD-R media or some other form of write-protected media.

21. Raveny macrumors member

changed to "prepared for shipment"

Perhaps it ships tomorrow :)

22. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Excellent. Mine hasn't changed from what I posted above. Hope you get it soon.

23. strachanjm macrumors member

I really doubt that your situation can be compared to that of most Americans. I know you say that 1 TB "for those of us who do video" is a joke, but then you go on to talk about "This is America" and "we are all...". Not all American's do video editing on their mac. 1 TB is 12.5x the size of my current HDD, and even when I buy a new MacBook Pro and give this Powerbook to my wife, it will still be about 4x the size of our HDDs combined. I think Apple had people like me in mind when they created this product, not people like you, and I don't think your general experience can be expanded to "America" and "we are all." Guess I just don't see the point of posting and calling something a joke because it wasn't tailor made for your needs, when it clearly satisfies the needs of many others, who, I suspect, would be in the majority.

24. kupua macrumors member

So Brand, you wanted to know why... As of today in BB ad as follows

Linksys Wireless-N Router $130
    WD 1 TB Data Storage $260
    Net $390
    bottom line $500-390= 110 hence ~100 over. NOW you know.;)

Any ways, my local BB's have it in the ad and no mention of OOS or available on 02/xx/2008 date. As they did for Janet's new album available Tuesday...

Hope its right:) but I doubt it.:mad:

25. brand macrumors 601

brand

Nope, that wont work.

That is two different devices and not one like the Time Capsule