Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
Does anyone know if this solves the issue of the absurdly slow download/upload speeds when using Time Capsule as a wireless router? I'm getting really frustrated with this thing... it's slower than when I had an 802.11b network with Airport Express.

x2! So far I've noticed that my DNS lookup times are awful with this update. Before the update, everything was flying and pages where loading amazing fast. After the update, it's taking 5 / 6 seconds of DNS lookup time.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Contrary, It didn't work for a previously "Time Machined" drive, but now works after I reformatted the drive....(OS X extended, Journaled)

give me an ls -la /Volumes/DriveLabel

if you have a .(randchar) file..:

turn off time machine
move/rename said file
turn on time machine
see if you can select the drive

Since you cannot format a drive over Air Disk, I'm betting you have .(randchar).. which in turn lets Time Machine use the drive.

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
give me an ls -l /Volumes/DriveLabel

if you have a .(randchar) file..:

turn off time machine
move/rename said file
turn on time machine
see if you can select the drive

Since you cannot format a drive over Air Disk, I'm betting you have .(randchar).. which in turn lets Time Machine use the drive.

I didn't format it over AirDisk, I had to hook it back up over USB to reformat...then hooked it back to my AEBS....I would do that but i'm already started into my over 300 gigabyte TM backup and I dont want to stop it! :(

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
i plugged in the drive using USB and reformatted it after turning off the hack that allowed unsupported disks, and its working just fine with a new backup.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
x2! So far I've noticed that my DNS lookup times are awful with this update. Before the update, everything was flying and pages where loading amazing fast. After the update, it's taking 5 / 6 seconds of DNS lookup time.

negative.

time host google.com
google.com has address 64.233.187.99
google.com has address 64.233.167.99
google.com has address 72.14.207.99
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp3.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp4.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp1.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp2.google.com.

real 0m0.059s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.003s

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA

Try going into network settings in "preferences", and delete you're DNS and re-enter it, or delete extra DNS server entries.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I didn't format it over AirDisk, I had to hook it back up over USB to reformat...then hooked it back to my AEBS....I would do that but i'm already started into my over 300 gigabyte TM backup and I dont want to stop it! :(

well give me an ls -la /Volumes/DiskLabel (whatever you call the drive)

if there's a .(randchar) file on the root of the drive then that answers the question

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
My build number changed also and I could have sworn the date at the bottom before the update was 1983 - 2008, not 1983 - 2007, as it is now.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!

Go to the Terminal (Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal), and input:

Code:
dscacheutil -flushcache

Then hit enter. You might have to restart, but probably not.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Seriously, what about a class action lawsuit against Apple because of missing - formerly advertised - functions in the final product?

Ever heard of, "Features are subject to change without notice"? Apple has every right to do that and you have no right to sue them over it.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Ok, but again, if you have the .(randchar) file on the drive that is something OSX uses to tell Time Machine to allow to write to it. Since you had the drive initially hooked up to your Mac (to format it).. it will likely have that file.

No, thats simply not how it works. Airport drives NEVER showed up in the airport list, nor did it ever try to work before. why can't you just accept that its working?? is there some reason for all the skepticism?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
No, thats simply not how it works. Airport drives NEVER showed up in the airport list, nor did it ever try to work before. why can't you just accept that its working?? is there some reason for all the skepticism?

Because *I* have an Air Disk that was working *UNTIL* I removed that identifier .(randchar). Then it magically disappeared out of the Time Machine utility.

What I'm saying is I believe people are being over zealous with their drives working because these were drives previously hooked up to a Mac, which have this hidden file. I need someone else to to confirm it by removing that .(randchar) file as I did.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
My build number changed also and I could have sworn the date at the bottom before the update was 1983 - 2008, not 1983 - 2007, as it is now.

Maybe they reverted some code to where it was when Leopard was in Beta. At that time, Time Machine over Airport Extreme was supported I believe.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
What do you mean? in terminal?

In Applications -> Utilities there is a program called Terminal. Open this....a black screen will appear.

Type that command and hit return.

You can also open terminal by evoking Spotlight and type terminal (it should find it).

-Kevin

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Because *I* have an Air Disk that was working *UNTIL* I removed that identifier .(randchar). Then it magically disappeared out of the Time Machine utility.
right. sorry, i missed that part but i remember you saying that.

unfortunately they only way to really verify that its working is to reformat your disk and start with a new backup. i can 100% confirm that a brand new backup on a clean disk with no hacks is working.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Nothing! I just backed up completely with time machine connected to a FW800 port. I plugged it into my Airport extreme, and I still don't see the disk under Time Machine Preferences.

What could I be doing wrong?

The disk is set up as Mac OS Journaled

Odd....

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
Ok, but again, if you have the .(randchar) file on the drive that is something OSX uses to tell Time Machine to allow to write to it. Since you had the drive initially hooked up to your Mac (to format it).. it will likely have that file.

I dont think I have that .randchar file...screenshot attached.
l

Attachments

• 2345794155_a73b1dd126_b.jpg
    2345794155_a73b1dd126_b.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 257

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
right. sorry, i missed that part but i remember you saying that.

unfortunately they only way to really verify that its working is to reformat your disk and start with a new backup. i can 100% confirm that a brand new backup on a clean disk with no hacks is working.

My disk was re-formatted as well, Like I said previously.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
mindflux, you keep mentioning "previously hooked up to macs" but what about my reformatted harddrive? reformatted meaning, wiped out, fresh, nothing on it. first thing it was ever hooked up to, being Airport Extreme Base Station and connected to time machine from there. working fantastically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.