Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
My 2015 15" MBP just arrived! Before i get started with it, i have a few questions:

1. Should i download Sierra right away? Should i back up the existing software before i do? I've never backed computer software before (only iPhones and iPads) so I'm not quite sure how this process works or if this is one i should even do.

2. Do macs need antiv virus software? I just renewed Norton for my Windows machine and have a few more downloads available. Or is there some built in software that is sufficient? I have heard that anti-virus software slows Down the computer a bit. Any thoughts?

3. Are there other settings or tips i should know before getting my first mac ready to go? I haven't used mac since my college days with mac os 8 or 9, so i know I'll have a lot of catching up to do!

4. Any online guides/youtube channels/references that can help me get up to speed on proficiency with the mac?

Thanks!

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
1. I would. It'll come installed with whatever software was released during its release. Sierra has nice storage management, and fixes some bugs with Safari and other native apps.

2. No. Just like how Windows only needs Windows Defender and common sense, just don't download any apps from sites like CNET. Download them directly from the website (ex. Spotify, Evernote, etc.)

3. Not really. Your computer is pretty much ready to go out of the box. Maybe look into flux, as it's always nice to use during late at night.

4. You can look at reviews of your particular model to see what to expect. MobileTechReview comes to mind (On YouTube)

Reactions: Tofupunch

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
1. I would. It'll come installed with whatever software was released during its release. Sierra has nice storage management, and fixes some bugs with Safari and other native apps.

2. No. Just like how Windows only needs Windows Defender and common sense, just don't download any apps from sites like CNET. Download them directly from the website (ex. Spotify, Evernote, etc.)

3. Not really. Your computer is pretty much ready to go out of the box. Maybe look into flux, as it's always nice to use during late at night.

4. You can look at reviews of your particular model to see what to expect. MobileTechReview comes to mind (On YouTube)
Thanks! Is it necessary to backup the preinstalled os before updating? In case there are bugs etc with sierra? Or is that more of a iOS thing (downgrading versions).
[doublepost=1478128733][/doublepost]Oh i forgot to add another question. I tend to leave my laptops plugged in constantly. Is that bad for battery life? Would it be better to use it unplugged and then recharge it as need be? I got Apple Care with it but don't unnecessarily want to go through it super fast.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Thanks! Is it necessary to backup the preinstalled os before updating? In case there are bugs etc with sierra? Or is that more of a iOS thing (downgrading versions).
[doublepost=1478128733][/doublepost]Oh i forgot to add another question. I tend to leave my laptops plugged in constantly. Is that bad for battery life? Would it be better to use it unplugged and then recharge it as need be? I got Apple Care with it but don't unnecessarily want to go through it super fast.

You can just back up Sierra. If you ever need to reinstall, the computer will revert back to that preinstalled version.

And no, don't worry about "overcharging." It's a non-issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.