Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I just ordered a pizza from Dominoes Pizza, and since I very rarely order delivery anything, I am not sure what the "standard" is when it comes to tipping in these types of situations. Since I am only in high school, people don't really expect me to tip, but I do anyway just because it is a good habit to get into. So answer me this: A) How much would you tip a delivery guy for delivering a 20 dollar pizza? B) How much would you tip a waiter/waitress who served you a 75 dollar meal? I already know how much to tip when it comes to nice resturants (I tip 15%), but what about for regular pizza delivery?

I tipped the guy two dollars because it was all that I had in my wallet that was small change (the rest of my cash was in 20s) and if I could have, I would have given three or four. So what about you guys?

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I normally give about four or five bucks to the drivers. If I had a 75 dollar meal, I'd probably tip 10-15 bucks.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
10% + coin change is my low bar. If it took forever I keep it at that, if it was good, then I add in a little bit more.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
I think it's the OCD in me, but I always tend to round my dollar to a whole dollar. For example, if our meal was $34.50, i'd toss in $5.50 to make it an even $40. If it was $31.20, i'd toss in $3.80 just to make it even at $35.00 heh. Anything above $50 meals though I go with around 25%.

Pizza guys get 2-3 bucks, grocery guys get 2 bucks.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I do at least 5 for the pizza guy. I would go 25 on a 75 check. We generally spend around 30 eating out and I tip around 10.

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
Background: I am geographically located in Los Angeles.

Pizza or any other kind of delivery: 10% of the bill.

Grocery guys - are you talking about the ones that deliver or the ones who help you to your car with your cart?

We are having an interesting international tipping discussion here about curbside tipping. : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/288217/

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
My understanding of "tip" has its root meaning in words such as gratuity – “a small gift, usually monetary, given to someone such as a waiter as thanks for service given.” It should be a gift...not demanded. If a restaurant adds "gratuity" to the bill, that's all they get, because they've demanded it. No grace, there.

In restaurants, we start with a basic 15% and grade the quality of service, accordingly. I've tipped as high as 30%, because they earned it. I've also left a penny atop an upside down glass (another country, another time), but they got the message.

Skycaps, in U.S. $4-5 a suitcase puts smiles on their face. $2 a suitcase is considered generous in the country we presently live. Bellhops - $5-10 depending on # of stars and service. Taxistas - $1 over fare (again regional) is considered kind.

Smart waiters/waitresses/skycaps/bellhops/taxistas get good tips.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
If they load the groceries in the car, I always offer. But, most of the time they say they are not allowed to accept them.

Bagboys when they just bag no, but if they help you to your car, help load your car...then yes.

Hmm... I am not used to that here where I live. Half the time there isn't even a bagboy, the cashier puts the groceries in the bags. That would be nice if they loaded up your car here!

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
my standard is to tip pizza delivery persons $2 and i'll occasionally give $3 if i'm feeling generous and/or the delivery time was very quick.

for a $75 meal, i'd leave no less than $15 and go up to as much as $25 depending on how good the service was.

if the service was terrible (and it was the waitpersons fault) then i will leave between 0 and 10%.

waiting on people is difficult and i think people deserve to be given an extra reward for their good service or punished for not doing a good enough job.

if i'm traveling alone, i usually give $10 to the skycap. if i'm traveling with a group, i stick to $5 per bag.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Now here's the real question: does anybody tip the bathroom attendant more than a dollar?

Again, none of those where I live :D it looks like other places in the world (or perhaps within the US) have cooler services.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Well, you tip restaurant waiters & waitresses more than delivery men or women. ...Essentially it's the same job (they bring you your food), but a delivery person has to travel much, much father.

I suppose you could argue that a waiter has to continually check on you, while the delivery man just leaves, but I'm sure if you calculated it, the average waiter spends just a few minutes per table while the delivery man spends at least 20 minutes per house (driving there and back).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I once had a restaurant advertise me for a meal for like 2.75 bucks and was automatically billed 5 bucks. we only had a party of 3 so i asked why and they said its the tip. well ill never go back there. whats the point of having menu prices if they are gonna automatically add tips to the bill? funny thing is none of my friends saw anything wrong with that. and close to 100% at that

I dont believe in tipping..unless they did a fantastic job. you all probably think thats bad but hey, i work my tail off and don't get tipped ever. granted its not in the food industry but the waiters and waitresses agree to work for that hourly wage. since im in college, i know i need my money a heck of alot more than some person i dont know at all and is SIMPLY performing their job. If they do awesome, ill tip as high as 30%. Kinda all or nothing with me.

I dont believe in tipping pizza drivers as its their job they agreed to as well as bartenders who for some drinks, only takes them like 5 seconds to make. worth 3 bucks...nope not to me.

label me a bad person but thats how i see it. i just hate how its expected nowadays. when i see a free carwash then i see that as a free carwash lol.

also doormen who carry my bags 20 ft expect a 5 dollar tip. um no ill carry it myself lol

sorry thats my rant

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
$20 pizza? $2-3.

That's all I tip. Actually, I think it's a bit weird to tip a delivery-man based on % of the bill. What if you order something from a more expensive pizza place. If one pizza is delivered from a fancy place, and another pizza is delivered by Dominoes, do you tip the driver from the fancy restaurant more simply because their pizzas cost more?

If it's 1 or 2 pizzas, I'd tip $2-3. If it's a few more, I'd probably tip $5.

I do at least 5 for the pizza guy. I would go 25 on a 75 check. We generally spend around 30 eating out and I tip around 10.

Why so much?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I dont believe in tipping..unless they did a fantastic job. you all probably think thats bad but hey, i work my tail off and don't get tipped ever. granted its not in the food industry but the waiters and waitresses agree to work for that hourly wage.

I agree with you. Just reading the responses here makes me glad that I don't live in Canada/North America anymore. :eek:

If I have a colleague who does the exact same job as me, do I get tipped if I work much harder than him? Or if I worked harder than him for a stretch of 2 hours, do I get paid more for those 2 hours by my boss, since he recognises my extra effort?

I like the tipping system, but it has gone too far when some people tip 20-30%, standard.
I dont believe in tipping pizza drivers as its their job they agreed to as well as bartenders who for some drinks, only takes them like 5 seconds to make. worth 3 bucks...nope not to me.

I'll tip delivery men, but bartenders almost never get anything from me. They literally put a glass under a tap and gave me a beer, and they want a $1 for a $3 beer? WTF?

Now here's the real question: does anybody tip the bathroom attendant more than a dollar?

Unless he's physically wiping my ass, I'd never tip a bathroom attendant. I'm sorry, but having one just isn't necessary. He wouldn't get a tip for passing me a paper towel, which is all most of them do for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.