To all the "my screen is perfect" people...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcdj, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Having personally seen the pink/green color cast on a total of 9 different iPads, 5 of which came from different stores/shipments, I feel there are far fewer "perfect" iPads than perfect ones out there in the wild, that people are aware of.

There are several factors here.

1. Most iPad owners are not on macrumors.
    2. Macrumors members without a screen problem (noticed or unnoticed) are not participating in the discussions about screen problems.

That said, I feel that there are a LOT of defective pink/green screens out there, and that people either haven't noticed, can't see it, or don't care.

Case in point, this post, whereby the poster shows the photo below and states "The backlight seems perfectly even on mine. The following pictures don't do it justice at all".

[​IMG]

So far in the various threads, I've seen maybe 2 instances of a good looking screen, with photos. But I've read dozens of "my screen is perfect" posts.

I have a feeling some people are just not visually sensitive enough to see a poorly colored screen, as evidenced by the post and photo above.

So if you're gonna boast about your perfect screen, and call those who are seeing a problem crazy or OCD, how bout you put your money where your mouth is and show us a photo? If some of us are in fact OCD, some of you are, in fact, blind, and I just proved that.

2. sl33pyhead macrumors member

I've kind of noticed that too. ANYONE here that has a serious, legit issue with their iPad gets called OCD by like half of the forum members. The insensitivity here is TOO DANG HIGH!

BUT there are some really helpful people here which is why I keep coming back =)

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

If a person is happy with their display why should it matter?

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Those demanding other people "prove" they have a perfect screen are really something. Why should anyone have to prove anything to you? As for perfect screens, I would argue there are no screens perfect enough to meet your standards. LCD technology has limitations. Every display in my house, not just the iPad has some color shift / brightness shift when off center. That's the green/pink tint you are referring to. You don't really see it when viewing it directly which the picture shot is not.

If you can't take this small amount of imperfection, then give up and don't buy it. Of course you are going to go through 20 screens and not find one. They don't exist to this level of scrutiny. But over 99.99% of customers are going to find this fine, and go on with their lives being happy rather than complaining in forums.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Just not sure I would call most of the problems "serious"

----------

Something just seems a bit funny about this post to me :D

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Note that I didn't say everyone with a perfect screen has to prove it. All I'm saying is, if you want to call me OCD or some other name, post a photo of your perfect screen so I can have a chance to call you blind. Fair is fair.

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So you just want people to post their screens so you can call them blind.

Yeah sounds like a great time to me........let me grab a screen :rolleyes:

8. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

I'm not lazy but if I can sum up my opinion of you in that many words then why waste more time on you?

9. bcaslis macrumors 68020

And I'm saying the picture you referenced is likely a "perfect" screen. People posting pictures have no idea what they are going. They are taking photos with things like iPhones. Ever hear about auto-white balance? No photo is ever going to show you the exact white balance that someone observed unless it has been corrected by an expert photographer.

And the vast majority of the photos are at an off angle. That alone completely eliminates them as good tests. What it does show is the shift you get off angle. If you can't take that then don't buy the product. Because you aren't going to find one that meets those requirements. Pretty simple. And by the way the iPad 1 and iPad 2 did this also. It's just their default white balance was more incorrect and shifted to blue white instead of a more natural white.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Who really cares

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

i don't know if i have a perfect screen. it beats my ipad 2! and, it looks great to me. if you don't like yours, return it. open them in the store until you get what you want. but, no point in making a mountain out of a molehill. apple has a generous return policy, stores everywhere, and a store online, so i guess i don't see why people get so worked up about it,

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

When I got my new iPad I did a quick check for backlight bleed. I can see that I don't have any dead pixels. End of test.

Like D1G1T4L said, why should anyone's opinion or level of satisfaction(positive or negative) with thier own display matter, or have to be proven?

13. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

True maybe, I have a perfect screen got lucky on first return notice the difference at boot, apple was white not yellow so some are out there, keep digging

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've run all the "bleed" tests, the dead pixel tests, and observed the screen color. My iPad screen passes every one of them. Sorry, OP, but there are good iPad screens out there. Sure, some people have funky screens, but people complain on forums far more than they praise.

16. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Amen. I'm on iPad number five, which is about to be exchanged for number six.

So many people are claiming to have a perfect screen, but I'm pretty sure they don't know any better.

I've yet to see a really good screen. Hell, I posted pictures of my last iPad and it was MUCH better than the example you posted. Still wasn't acceptable for an $800 Apple product.

Let's see those perfect screens, people. Give those of us who have had a string of, what we still hope to be, bad luck some hope.

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

How do you know it isn't your own ignorance? Did you have a "perfect" iPad 1, iPad 2, iPhone? What is perfect to you? What color temp?

Major reason I'm asking is seems like every release of a product displays are warmer and/or colder and people are so quick to claim that they are defective and a serious problem. Just wondering what is "perfect" in your eyes.

18. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Right. It's perfect. It's just a big coincidence that it happens to show the exact same colors many are complaining about and I have seen firsthand, no camera involved.

It's ok people. Just keep on making excuses for not holding Apple to the standard THEY push on us. Next year they'll make 10 million iPads for launch day and the screen will be plaid, but of course, it will be perfect.

19. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Anyone who claims to have a perfect screen needs to take a photo like the one below. I'm convinced they ALL have this pink hue issue. Somebody please prove me wrong so I can stop returning iPads and accept it for what it is.

Attached Files:

20. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

What is the subject matter? Was it a black, green, white, etc screen? What was the white balance of your camera set at? Auto, temp, etc?

21. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I'm not looking for perfect, I'm looking for acceptable. The photo above, of my last iPad, is unacceptable IMO.

I've owned every iPhone since the first, all on launch day. Multiples of each, actually. A few first generation iPads but skipped the iPad 2. Apple Cinema display and more MacBooks and MacBook Pros than I can count on two hands, etc. and I've never had a single issue, especially with displays. That pink huge is unacceptable IMO.

22. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

23. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

It's best seen with black/dark content but also seen with other content as well. The photo is directly from my iPhone 4S. Not the greatest camera, I know, but that's exactly how it appeared in person as well.

My new one is the same way. I didn't even bother taking it out of its plastic wrapping. I'm unsure as to whether I should return it or accept that they're all like this. I'm waiting for someone to post a pic proving otherwise.

24. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Well there are some people like me, who have gotten several duds in a row and have been told, sorry you can return it, but you can't have any more. That's fine. What exactly am I supposed to do with the $1500 worth of apps I bought?

Apple is a crack dealer. The apps are the crack. The iPad is the pipe. It serves the crack dealer quite well to do WHATEVER it takes to make sure you have a PERFECT crack pipe at all times.

25. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

mcdj,

I just got back from Best Buy with a 64G WIFI and I'm actually surprised it's a keeper. I just did all the "OCD" things that any consumer that gives a crap would do and the checklist is complete.

Dead pixels: None

Light Bleed: None*
    *At 100% brightness there's is what I would call a tiny amount that I would normally expect from an LCD. If I took a pic I think it would look like zero bleed.

Screen uniformity: Excellent with no tinting issues. Cool to warm temp.

Physical Appearance: Perfect

So it's a keeper and this is from a person that had a terrible time getting a decent iPad 2.

Don't listen to the OCD remarks. It's dumb forum chatter. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.