To iPhone 6s/6s+ Owners - What are You Planning To Do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Sep 12, 2017.

?

What are you planning to do?

1. Upgrade to iPhone X

2. Upgrade to iPhone 8/8+

3. Upgrade to iPhone 7

4. Keep 6s/6s+

5. Other (buy SE, Android, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nilk, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

nilk macrumors 6502a

I would've kept using the 6S (it ran fine on iOS 11), but long story short my wife needed an upgrade from a 6 and so I handed it off to her. She may end up getting an 8/8+/X, but the 6S is a good upgrade to hold her over until her next phone.

I tried an SE, and I do love the smaller form factor, but ended up getting a used iPhone 7. I got the Jet Black 7 because it's the grippiest 4.7" iPhone. The 8 has grip on the glass part, but the aluminum edges are slippery. I'm still getting a case (Spigen Thin Fit Matte Black) because none of these phones beat the amount of grip a case can provide, but I like having the option of going caseless whereas I wouldn't dare do that on the 6/6S or other 7 colors. With the 8 I might be less inclined to go caseless due to it's slippery edges and breakable glass back.

The 7 performs noticeably better than the 6S. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

I'm hoping Apple releases a newer small phone. Either a more feature-complete updated SE (waterproofing at a minimum), or a smaller version of the X. The 7 should hold me over pretty well while I wait for this. If it doesn't happen I'm guessing my next phone will be the X (either current one or future update), though buying a used 8 will also be a possibility.

BTW Was able to get a new battery for the 6S. It was covered in the recall, but I also still had AppleCare+ left on it which would have covered it as the battery had enough diminished life.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

We have four lines in our family plan (with alternating upgrade eligibility years). Some years, I upgraded just so I don't waste the built-in $400-450 subsidy even if didn't need a new phone yet. Older phones got handed down to family.

3. super chimp macrumors 6502a

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have a new 128GB SE being delivered today to replace my 6S+ because the battery is randomly losing charge super fast. I don't plan on using it as a phone (I have a Note 8 and a S8+) but I love using the iPhone in my car for music via BT and I didn't want to buy an iPod Touch. I thought of getting the 8+ but that's overkill. I still have a 64GB SE and a 6S and a 6+ if I feel the need to use the iPhone as a phone.

5. staggerlee41 macrumors member

staggerlee41

Not sure of the exact cost because my battery was replaced by Apple through the Replacement Program, but it is worth looking into replacement. My 6s was as good as the day I bought it after they replaced the batter and still in use.

6. Sigp232 macrumors member

Sigp232

Same with me replaced battery on my 6s+ Wiped clean fresh install 11.02 runs like brand new now smooth as silk took 8+ back. No reason to have it since 6 is back in action with no hiccups. Will wait for X+ in 11 short months.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Apple says the battery is fine. Coconut battery says the battery is at 80% capacity and sometimes says it's around 70 or so. I just can't depend on it anymore. One night, the battery went from 70% to 13% in 6 hrs at my job with very little usage.

I could take it elsewhere to replace the battery but I don't know if I want to even spend the money.

8. staggerlee41 macrumors member

staggerlee41

That's odd. Battery health appears fine from the tests, but not during actual use. Do you find it shutting down on you randomly?

This was the program I used to have my battery replaced. Not only was it draining fast, but it was shutting down/restarting unexpectedly.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Sounds like you have plenty of phone options to chose from lol

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

That site says that my battery is not eligible to be replaced in my 6S+

The phone isn't suddenly shutting down yet, it hasn't gotten that bad. It just has these random times when the drainage is happening. The phone is two years old in December so I think it's just time to move on and not worry about it. I still have a 6S as well that is working just as good as the day I bought it two years ago in December as well.

10. brgjoe macrumors member

Still holding out for the moment. I wanted to like the "X". Same form factor as my 6, basically. But don't like the notch or lack of a home button/TouchID. If those things get addressed in a year or so, then I would be very interested in the X-S (or whatever they decide to call it).

I still may go for the 8. But am in no hurry. I upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS 11.0 and it seems to be working just fine. Perhaps a little slower in an app or two. But otherwise pretty much glitch-free. (I did lose my clock display on my lock screen for a bit, but it's back now). And battery life is pretty much unchanged since the upgrade to iOS 11.

So am basically in a holding pattern. Probably will be that way as long as my iPhone 6 continues to function adequately.