To iPhone 6s/6s+ Owners - What are You Planning To Do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Sep 12, 2017.

?

What are you planning to do?

1. Upgrade to iPhone X

2. Upgrade to iPhone 8/8+

3. Upgrade to iPhone 7

4. Keep 6s/6s+

5. Other (buy SE, Android, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pdxmatts, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I have the 6S+ and it gets heavy if I'm on it to long. I skipped upgrading to the 7 series thinking the 10th anniversary would be my upgrade, but now the 8+ is even heavier, and the 10 with the notch, smaller viewable screen and price is a pass! I'm seriously thinking of getting the reg 8 and waiting to see what next year has to bring.

2. Bethanie21 Suspended

Bethanie21

Personally I've bought an iPhone 8, going from a 6S. Fancy a change - my 6S has been great, but I'm noticing that it's not so fluid anymore and is slowing down. I keep my phones for at least 2 years, so the 8 will be plenty for me. The X is just too expensive, and I prefer TouchID to FaceID.

3. mguzzi macrumors regular

Also the 9.7 iPad Pro has basically the same processor as the iPhone 6S. Some businesses are also able to get the entry level iPhone 6S for free as well from the carriers.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

My music is 32GB, apps are 14GB, "Documents and data" 4GB, current photo coach is 2GB, Podcasts 1GB.

That's 53GB, plus the system uses like 6-8GB, and I like to carry videos for on the go entertainment.

I find 64 limiting, 128 is plenty for me, but Apple cut out that tier.

5. aneftp macrumors 601

Just sold my iPhone 6s plus 64gb on Craigslist for $380. Probably could have held out for $420-450. But just wanted to dump it. I have iPhone 8 plus 64gb and iPhone 8 plus 256gb for reservation at Sam's club with $100 gift card and $20 off apple pay May just wait and get the X though.

I got spare lg g5 phone that works great. I got that for $120 plus $25 best buy gift card in March 2017

6. super chimp macrumors 6502a

Be interested to see how my 6S+ copes with iOS11, I wonder if this is where it starts to show its age.

7. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I'm downloading iOS 11 on my 6s Plus right now and am wondering the same. I guess I'll find out in just a few more minutes.

8. super chimp macrumors 6502a

Same here. Make me decide whether to maintain my 8+ reservation or not.

9. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I opted to skip the 8+ and wait for the X. All the more reason to play around with iOS 11, since I have to wait another 6 weeks or so (a very optimistic estimate).

10. super chimp macrumors 6502a

I don’t know if it’s my imagination but my 6S+ seems faster on iOS 11.

11. Larrupin macrumors member

Larrupin

I agree, my 6S+ definitely seems to be running smoother and faster. I feel like it’s running faster with OS11 than my 2016 Pro is.

12. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502

AlphaGuitarist

I'll have the chance to explore iOS 11 a bit more thoroughly when I head home for the day, but it seems to be running very smoothly so far.

13. Laurie65 macrumors member

Staying with the 6s for as long as I possibly can.

14. super chimp macrumors 6502a

If it wasn’t for the battery issues on my 6S+ I might do the same.

15. rok8man macrumors newbie

rok8man

I have the 6s+ and will pay it off and keep it. May upgrade when the 8s+ comes out. Not a fan of the X or the price. My 6s+ should last me one more year till the next model upgrade comes around. Till then I am happy with mine.

16. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Keeping my 6s for now. Will consider an SE 2 if Apple continues the 4 inch device. For now my 6s works great and does everything I need in a phone. The X is too expensive for my taste and I hate the notch and having to use gestures. The 8 was a consideration but I seriously just want a smaller phone for basic use. If the SE 2 never comes to light I may just get a current SE.

17. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Just updated to ios 11 on 6S Plus. The phone now runs like greased monkey, even nicer than on 10.3.3

18. bufffilm, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The 6s is not outdated tech.

It's got TouchID v2...yeah, the same as in the ip8. And the same 3D Touch as the ip8. And the same amount of RAM as well. And runs the same iOS as the new phones.

Yes, the FFC and main camera isn't as good as the ones on the ip8, but you can expect that.

Outdated my a**.

You can say outdated when 2019 rolls around...not before.

Till then you are just blowing smoke. And I'm laffing. At you.

19. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

SomeGuy2112

I've been running the iOS 11 beta for a while on the 6S, no issues, very fluid.

I'm going from 6S 64 to the 8 256.

Wife has a low capacity 6 so she's getting my 6S.

The X is very tempting, mostly because its shiny and new... FaceID seems cool and I see a lot of potential for future applications. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think it looks stunning overall.

To be honest, had they been release at the same time (or even if stock supply for launch seemed more favorable). I'd probably have jumped on the X.

For now I'm sticking to my current release cycle and see what next year brings.

Maybe I'll use the price difference to help fund an upgrade of my Series 2 watch to a 3 with LTE.

20. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Installed iOS 11 yesterday and it made my 6s feel like new. Still have some issues with Touch ID not working all the time and the Personal Hotspot banner messed up in Facebook. Otherwise, it feels fluid and more responsive. But, I assume this is the benefit of a new version, we don't know whats gonna happen by 11.3 when it starts getting worst. I know that each point update to iOS 10 just make it worse.

As for my future upgrade plans, I kinda have my mind set on either an iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black and iPad Pro 12.9 or skip the iPhone and stick with my 6s. At times, I feel like going crazy getting the iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black, iPad Pro 12.9 and iPhone X.

I suspect its just the hype and by next year, I will come to my senses and be happy with what I have.

21. nickosbad macrumors regular

I’m tempted to try and pick up an 8 or 8+ if they have any before I fly back to the UK on Saturday

With the $ exchange rate as it is right now I can save £150-£170 which is a lot

I returned a 7 after finding nothing worth keeping over my 6s and still only really seeing value in going for the 8+, it’s just such a big handset but locked into IOS for a while now as just bought an Apple Watch but I am NOT dropping £1000 on an X

22. nickosbad macrumors regular

Went in the pool today......forgot to remove iPhone from pocket.....I now have a dead 6s and am so very annoyed with mys of as I've looked after it so well for the last 2 years and n very dropped it once even without a case for most of its life

Guess I definitely need to try and pick one up tomorrow!!

23. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

After a long time spent deciding, and despite having enough disposable cash for the X, I'm keeping my 6S+ 64GB and replacing the battery. Because I've previously never kept an iPhone for longer than 2 years, I decided to check the stats on Coconut Battery and it's rapidly approaching 800 cycles, unsurprisingly, with capacity well below 80% of the original value. I got it on launch day in 2015.

£79 is a small price to pay for another year's usage, especially if it makes the phone seem like new, as others who have taken this step are saying - I do like to consider the environment, so this seems to me the best compromise. Battery life is really my one and only gripe with the phone..for example, this morning, I took it off of the charger at 7 AM, and before 9 AM it had already dropped to 50% with less than moderate usage; just some light Safari browsing, Apple Music, iMessage and Snapchat.

I'm sincerely hoping that next year's offering will tempt me more, having been disappointed that the 8 wasn't more of an upgrade. I liked the glass back on my 4S for sure, but I don't want or need wireless charging, nor any of the other recycled 'features' from other phones that Apple is trying to sell us this on the 8/8+. I'd never consider the SE, which is in essence a 5 year old design, and after switching to the Plus models, I told myself I'd never go back to a smaller screen. If my phone had broken or something, I would have gone for the X. I'm not sure about the whole 'notch' thing, but it seems like it'll take up noticeable real estate in most apps, something that doesn't happen on my phone currently. The resolution and display in general on the 6S are fine for any user anyway. I'm also concerned about how easily that stainless steel bezel will scratch, especially after my experience with the original stainless steel Apple Watch, after which I vowed never to jump in with first generation tech, due to the many bugs and glitches I experienced that tarnished the user experience.

I honestly think we've reached 'peak smartphone' at this point, seeing as Apple have maintained the same fundamentals in design since the 6 launched way back in 2013. The camera on my 6S is just fine, as a marked improvement on the already impressive 6 camera - portrait lighting is just a glitzy software gimmick. iOS 11 runs well, again an impressive improvement over the 6 due to the marked RAM upgrade, so performance isn't an issue and should only get better as the 11.x updates come in. I use the headphone jack many times each and every day, so the ability to charge and listen to music through decent headphones without having to also charge them too is invaluable to me, especially when travelling light. Touch ID removal seems like a step backwards, as I find it to be incredibly reliable.

24. super chimp macrumors 6502a

Definitely noticing scrolling lag in menus and transition lag now on my 6S+ running iOS 11.

25. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I’m not noticing any lag at all on my 6s. Runs just as well on 11 as it did on 10.