Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I'm sure many users here resell iPhones during the launch period every year. I mean, why not? You're paying lots of money to upgrade to the latest and greatest so why not at least subsidize the purchase a bit by selling a phone or two. My question is: when do you find is the best time to sell to get the highest price?:

a. Before the next iPhone is even announced.
b. After it's announced, but before preorders go live.
c. After preorders are now met with the dreaded "Ships in 7-10 business days" or "Ships in 3-4 weeks" messages.
d. Once the phone has just been released and people weren't able to get the one they wanted in stores.

Thoughts based on your previous experience or just speculation?

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I've never done this but I would actually guess d.

This thread will probably be filled with a boatload of people saying how doing this is the worst thing in the world.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

This thread will probably be filled with a boatload of people saying how doing this is the worst thing in the world.

As they should be.

I really hope a bunch of these folks get burned!

flynnst0ne

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Capitalism at its finest, and the perks of a free market.

If someone is stupid enough to pay a hefty premium for a new phone, there's no reason not to sell if you wanna make a few bucks.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I ordered one and reserved one in case of a shipping delay.

I was able to do it through regular channels by staying up late on launch night. Not hiring people to squat in line for me or other dubious means.

I'll sell it for the best offer I get and I don't see any reason to apologize for that.

To the original question, not sure how you could sell it before it's announced or pre-orders go live. You'd have no guarantee of getting one to sell.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010

Yes, I might guess d as well, but I feel like it might be better to sell as soon as possible to minimize the risk that stores will have tons in stock.... Though that probably won't happen.

Perhaps people in situation d (they tried to purchase in store, but they ran out) are more desperate, but in a way maybe people will to buy before the release date are willing to pay more...? I'd love to get experienced scalpers' opinions on this.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
sold mine for $1500 64gb t-mobile silver
i can wait or might get a 5s for cheap

Nice! Can we get some details?
-Date sold.
-Where sold (craigslist, ebay, etc)
-iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?
-Have you actually been paid already / paypal?

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
Capitalism at its finest, and the perks of a free market.

If someone is stupid enough to pay a hefty premium for a new phone, there's no reason not to sell if you wanna make a few bucks.

Eh, no. Good capitalism = creating value. Scalping is one of the downsides of a free market (although let's be honest, people scalping iPhones are not operating within the legal market, they're breaking the law and operating in a grey/black market 99% of the time).

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Eh, no. Good capitalism = creating value. Scalping is one of the downsides of a free market (although let's be honest, people scalping iPhones are not operating within the legal market, they're breaking the law and operating in a grey/black market 99% of the time).

Huh? How is reselling an item you've legitimately paid for and own illegal?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Scalping prices seem to be highest those first couple weeks after availability. People are wary of buying pre-orders and not the actual phone that's in hand. Once the actual goods can be traded the prices jump. Of courser that assumes supply remains severely constrained for a while. Once they are generally available the scalping market dries up right quick.

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012

Buying something and selling it at profit without reporting it on your income taxes is illegal in most countries. Not that that's a huge deal, just pointing out that that kind of activity isn't following the legal rules that the rest of the market follows.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Buying something and selling it at profit without reporting it on your income taxes is illegal in most countries. Not that that's a huge deal, just pointing out that that kind of activity isn't following the legal rules that the rest of the market follows.

What you say is correct, but how do you know all scalpers don't report this income on their taxes? Besides, that doesn't make selling an iPhone at a profit illegal, it just means tax evasion is illegal.

Hell, I've resold things at a profit before. Are you saying I don't report that on my taxes?

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

There is a case to be made that foreign goods are not protected under the "first sale doctrine" (which lets the owner of a trademarked product resell that product) and also something about infringing on apple's marketing by selling something that they paid to market. To be honest, I didn't really understand a lot of the legal mumbo-jumbo. I think most people just hate scalpers so much, they wish it was illegal to scalp iphones like it is to scalp tickets.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
There is a case to be made that foreign goods are not protected under the "first sale doctrine" (which lets the owner of a trademarked product resell that product) and also something about infringing on apple's marketing by selling something that they paid to market. To be honest, I didn't really understand a lot of the legal mumbo-jumbo. I think most people just hate scalpers so much, they wish it was illegal to scalp iphones like it is to scalp tickets.

That may be, but please be a little more specific and cite examples of when anyone has been prosecuted for doing such a thing.

Virtually all goods, foreign or not, are trademarked. Once a buyer legitimately purchases an item, he is free to do with it as he pleases - use it, destroy it, give it away, or resell it at a price that the market will bear. Maybe not in China, but at least in most countries with free market economies.

derekgroves

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
No reason to get ******** because someone pays their time and waits hours in line to get a phone to resell. :rolleyes:

Or preorders one and just sells it.

You could do the same if you wanted to. I suspect those that get their panties in a wad do so because they didn't get in line early enough to get what they wanted, and are mad because someone *did*, got a phone, and immediately sells it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
That may be, but please be a little more specific and cite examples of when anyone has been prosecuted for doing such a thing.

Virtually all goods, foreign or not, are trademarked. Once a buyer legitimately purchases an item, he is free to do with it as he pleases - use it, destroy it, give it away, or resell it at a price that the market will bear. Maybe not in China, but at least in most countries with free market economies.

I can't. I just read some stuff on the internet about why some people thought a case could be made. I never said it was illegal.The only thing I could think of is what was already posted, the taxes thing. But that doesn't make the sale illegal. Just makes lying on your taxes illegal. Which we all know already...

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Scalping prices seem to be highest those first couple weeks after availability. People are wary of buying pre-orders and not the actual phone that's in hand. Once the actual goods can be traded the prices jump. Of courser that assumes supply remains severely constrained for a while. Once they are generally available the scalping market dries up right quick.

Do you speak from experience or are you speculating?

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
Nice! Can we get some details?
-Date sold.
-Where sold (craigslist, ebay, etc)
-iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?
-Have you actually been paid already / paypal?

today craigslist
iphone plus 64gb silver t-mobile
he gave me $750 and the rest when he gets the phone,no refunds.

i got lucky and order the phone from t-mobile store i will get it the 19th

:apple:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My question is: when do you find is the best time to sell to get the highest price?:

a. Before the next iPhone is even announced.
b. After it's announced, but before preorders go live.
c. After preorders are now met with the dreaded "Ships in 7-10 business days" or "Ships in 3-4 weeks" messages.
d. Once the phone has just been released and people weren't able to get the one they wanted in stores.

Thoughts based on your previous experience or just speculation?
I'd have to say c. Come release day, iPhone supply increases (we don't know by how much but Apple Stores tend to have a good supply as of late) whereas guaranteed pre-orders are fixed (more or less). Of course, this year, the 6+ might be a special case. As you get further and further away from release date though, prices will drop.

rumorman69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
today craigslist
iphone plus 64gb silver t-mobile
he gave me $750 and the rest when he gets the phone,no refunds.

i got lucky and order the phone from t-mobile store i will get it the 19th

:apple:

Wow, that seems extremely risky for the buyer? He literally gave you $750 and hoped you would keep your end of the bargain? What information did he get from you to go through with that? I'd love to understand why this buyer seemingly took such a huge risk.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Fortunately its NOT ILLEGAL in this country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.