Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Then what's the point of posting irrelevant reviews boasting the Mini's screen quality when, quite evidently, the screen falls quite short in every regard for a lot of people...

Because it doesn't.

Get off your high horse. Can't tell you how thrilled I am that the Mini meets your expectations. To others, it falls shorts of their standards - so why you keep arguing against that literally blows my ****ing mind.

I'm not exactly sure why you are so hostile, but you really need to relax. Your attitude is starting to push the limits of my Mini's gamut...

The Mini and Air screens are different. Got it. So is the screen size, device size and weight just in case you had missed that. Some people like the little iPad. Others don't. Got it. It falls shorts of standards? And what standards are those? I missed the memo when Apple published Mini standards.

I am pretty sure the Mini meets every single standard Apple has set, you know, as THE MANUFACTURER. So the Mini has fallen short of some fantasy made up standard of a few posters here? Ok. Then don't buy it. Buy the Air. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
If you need to see small details, don't buy a small display.

You misunderstood my point. Small details pertaining the gamut range of the device. It's a "small detail" to some, huge detail to others.

----------

Because it doesn't.

Quite apparently it does. The 300+ threads and 5,000+ comments definitely suggest otherwise. :rolleyes:

The Mini and Air screens are different. Got it. So is the screen size, device size and weight just in case you had missed that. Some people like the little iPad. Others don't. Got it. It falls shorts of standards? And what standards are those? I missed the memo when Apple published Mini standards.
I really can't tell if you're trolling or just completely ignorant. I'm beginning to think it's the prior. I have already told you this isn't about Apple's standards, it's about the consumer's standards that are purchasing the device. The people who have purchased the Mini and complained about the gamut and the washed out color of the device. Their standards. Why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp?

I am pretty sure the Mini meets every single standard Apple has set, you know, as THE MANUFACTURER. So the Mini has fallen short of some fantasy made up standard of a few posters here? Ok. Then don't buy it. Buy the Air. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Fantasy? A fantasy that one could expect a fuller gamut in such a "small" device? You mean, for instance, the fuller gamut that is found in smaller tablets such as the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7? You can go on and on about the tradeoffs that would then lie in those devices itself, but that would be going a little bit too off topic.

These threads are about people pointing out that the display is lacking. These posts are actually quite informative to people who are considering the Mini, but may be just as disappointed as the other people who notice details like this. Your posts aren't constructive in any sense, nor are any of your attempts to disillusion people into thinking they're conjuring a problem that doesn't exist.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
When the iBook was sold next to the MacBook Pro, no one who needed the best screen bought the iBook. Apple never said the iBooks screen was the same and you didn't have photographers bitching about the iBooks screen they got the Mbp or I'd they mistakenly got the iBook they returned it. . And that was with devices that cost twice as much.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Fantasy? A fantasy that one could expect a fuller gamut in such a "small" device? You mean, for instance, the fuller gamut that is found in smaller tablets such as the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7?

Yes, fantasy, as in made up. Did Apple promise you a full gamut? Did the previous mini have it? Are you privy to some secret keynote where Apple discusses device specs?

Yes, you made it up. And Apple failed to read your mind, anticipate your "standard" and meet it. How dare they? :rolleyes:

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, fantasy, as in made up. Did Apple promise you a full gamut? Did the previous mini have it? Are you privy to some secret keynote where Apple discusses device specs?

Yes, you made it up. And Apple failed to read your mind, anticipate your "standard" and meet it. How dare they? :rolleyes:

Now I'm convinced you're trolling, or just don't know how to read. :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Are they paying people to post this crap, or is out of the love of people's hearts and they simply all do it for free?

This is NOT why I come here, to listen to a vocal minority scream and yell and post so many threads that even if all were true it merely says that every single problem with Apple products, every single one of those customers frequents this forum, and that means this forum is nothing but a gathering place for really unfortunate and unlucky people, but more likely, the reality is that it's become a place where it's so cool to complain (and people who want to be popular find out what the latest complaints are and join the discussions and even start their own threads). I don't come here for this, seriously, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Please, can we create a thread or one location, perhaps a dedicated forum, where people can go and complain about Apple products in some big chicken little circle jerk - it's beyond ridiculous at this point. On the front page of MacRumors right now 3 of the top 5 threads listed are all the same thing, and if you go into the iPad forum listing, it's even more - all saying the same thing.
They should change the name of this site to Mac Complaints because that's all it seems to be these days.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
They should change the name of this site to Mac Complaints because that's all it seems to be these days.

or another good name would be "That Apple Website Where Samsung Employees Troll During Their Lunch Break, Because Even During Lunch Break, Samsung is Still Paying Them to Troll and Debase Apple"

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
My rMini told me that the iPad Air is the in accurate one. :rolleyes:

Seriously.. The display is fine. Some just go looking for problems. I for one am happy with my purchase. If I wasn't I DO have the option of returning it.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Has anyone else experienced a slight yellowing towards the bottom of their displays? I went to two Apple stores and all of the display models had this. Easy way to tell is with the split keyboard test.

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Then get the iPad with the gamut you need. Don't get the one that doesn't and then complain.

Lol. Great advice! Too bad no one knew those problems were going to be present when they ordered the product. Thank God for exchanges so no one has to settle for something inferior am I right?!

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
The difference is there but it's de minimis. i only notice it with them next to each other.

Look, every time I've gotten a new ipad the screen was a little different and it took me a few days to get used to it. Same with the mini.

Going from iPad 1 to iPad 3 the screen had a retina display and was obviously superior. But going from iPad 3 to iPad 4 the screen on the 4 was warmer, looked red compared to the colder screen on the ipad 3.

Going from iPad 4 to iPad miniR the screen is colder again, like on the iPad 3, and the brightness is a tiny bit lower. Instead of keeping my brightness at around 95% like i used to do on my ipads I now keep it at 100% and it's about the same. I wouldn't call it "washed out".

I've been using the iPad mini for over a day now and I like it a lot. It's worth having to keep the brightness at 100% from 95% to have the lighter, smaller size.

Take a pic of them next to each other and you'll see a very slight difference. It's so slight it's not worth bitching about. And I'm a very picky person.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
It has Maps, but lacks a GPS, so it won't work for turn-by-turn directions even if you do connect it to a Mi-Fi or tether it to a phone. It will use wi-fi triangulation to estimate your location.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm 100% sure the Mini with Wif-fi does NOT have GPS. Location of you while standing still yes. Location to a destination by route is a yes. But when you are traveling, and you require a real-time tracker, then NO.

I believe the cellular version does have a real time tracker so you can follow your progress while moving on the road.

Again, I'd like a confirmation. This is one of the most important points to adding $130 to my mini retina.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
The difference is there but it's de minimis. i only notice it with them next to each other.

Look, every time I've gotten a new ipad the screen was a little different and it took me a few days to get used to it. Same with the mini.

Going from iPad 1 to iPad 3 the screen had a retina display and was obviously superior. But going from iPad 3 to iPad 4 the screen on the 4 was warmer, looked red compared to the colder screen on the ipad 3.

Going from iPad 4 to iPad miniR the screen is colder again, like on the iPad 3, and the brightness is a tiny bit lower. Instead of keeping my brightness at around 95% like i used to do on my ipads I now keep it at 100% and it's about the same. I wouldn't call it "washed out".

I've been using the iPad mini for over a day now and I like it a lot. It's worth having to keep the brightness at 100% from 95% to have the lighter, smaller size.

Take a pic of them next to each other and you'll see a very slight difference. It's so slight it's not worth bitching about. And I'm a very picky person.

Are you using the mini outside, for some reason I can't stand 100% in doors or late night, I just think it's too bright haha. At least I'm thankful that I can save some battery with the screen being lower at around 40-60%. I just never seem to use 100%. I guess it isn't such a bad thing, but anyway more on-topic blah blah blah I'm keeping it since mines fine ^^

Jeeg

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
Heres my comparison of iPad 4 vs iPad Mini Retina, although the picture shows the red triangle on the left is "red" but in reality it is a little bit more orange.

10915187873_92ab8e7072_h.jpg

Also the iPad Mini Retina seems brighter, but the colours are definitely washed out.

10914888715_e59dc19505_h.jpg

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I do not need any pics I own one and it's not washed out. Folks like you drop that term without a clue what it really means

I have enough clues to return the damn thing! Washed out maybe a bit strong but what does muted mean? Dude, same damn thing!

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I have enough clues to return the damn thing! Washed out maybe a bit strong but what does muted mean? Dude, same damn thing!

I am not bringing mine back because it's not nearly as big a deal as folks like you would have us believe. I suggest you get a dictionary! Most folks will never notice one way or the other.

Jeeg

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
I actually think the problems aren't as big as people say they are.

Yes, the colours aren't as good as the iPad 4/Air but it is still a very decent looking tablet.

If you didn't have another device side by side to do direct comparison, there is no way you can tell the difference.

voronoi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
It's not just that it's washed out or muted or whatever semantically correct word(s) you'd rather I use. The colors are also skewed in a small, but apparent way. The reds lean orange and blues lean cyan. The difference might have seemed more subtle a few years ago when calibrated displays were more uncommon (thank the iPad 3/4, iPhone 5, and retina Macbook Pro), but now many people have been accustomed to looking at a screen that has impressive color reproductive capabilities.

Anyone with those devices will probably notice, and some might not know or care why or what makes the retina iPad mini look different. I notice and I do care, but not so much that I'd return it. To me, the screen is good, but not great, and could have been improved upon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.