Toooo much iPHONE!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rickboy, Apr 5, 2008.

1. rickboy macrumors newbie

The forums would be more exciting if we can hear about news surrounding other apple products and not so much the iPHONE... Im personally looking for updates to the Mac mini and The desktops computers. Like when are they gonna change the case? I never liked that case cause it gathers too much dust. I like the older G4 ones, and Im really hoping they make their desktops smaller like the G3-G4 days.

Its like the iPHONE is all the rave these days. What happened to the news surrounding other products. I currently have no interest in the iPHONE simply because it has no remolvable battery, to little memory, no expandable memory and lacked 3G(although this will be updated). Besides I dont like AT&T's policy. They bully you too much. Im with sprint simply because they have gven me good service in the past with my bills and stuff and sprint is coming out with a 3G iPHONE competitor that is pretty decent and not so expensive. I was in love with the helio Ocean but helio doesnt do business were im from. im gonna miss the OSX interface and safari browser though. Dont get me wrong the iPHONE is a good product, but i want to see news surrounding other products more often.

So i know most of the news coming out is about the iPHONE... but honestly, what if there was no iPHONE? Mac Forums wouldnt have nothing to report or say? Come on... lots a news out there that is waiting to be dug out... like when is apple gonna change the case for the dekstop? When is apple gonna make a significant update to the MBP... Im waiting for a 6 gigs a RAM capacity and higher frontside bus for the MBP. I dont care how fast the processor is if the FSB is gonna choke it.

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

do you really need 6Gb ram in a laptop? come on? really think?

well the iPhone is apples newest child..

you dont like it, dont buy it...or even talk about it

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i don't why your bitching. the iphone might be the coolest thing apple has ever done, and with a soon to be released revision, i don't see why you wouldn't want to know what they come out with next. i have no intentions on buying an iphone but am excited as hell to see what is coming out next.

your needs for a laptop are realistic right now, i don't know what you would need those specs for. be patient and more news will come out about other products in the up coming months

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm sorry, but this forum is for discussion about Apple's products, and there is a lot of hype around the iPhone right now because of the SDK, 2.0 leaks, and many other things, it is going to happen and is unavoidable. It was the same thing when the MacBook Air was released, and if you are tired about seeing so many iPhone threads when you search for new posts, then add the iPhone forum to your block list;)

EDIT: Neverminds about the last point, xUKHCx beat me to it.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink that your complaints are something that the entire Apple community is experiencing, there are now tons of iPhone users flooding not only this forum, but also the Apple store and CNet. The iPhone will being a lot of users towards the mac, just like the iPod. I agree, there are more "newbies" joining for the iPhone forum and that the Mac forum is way more active, productive and insightful. I was quite irritated at the beginning, but MacRumors should welcome any new users.

The iPod saved Apple, the iPhone has helped expand the company dramatically. Take a step back and think if the iPod forum was a bad idea.

7. rickboy thread starter macrumors newbie

No man its not the same with MacBookAir. I havent seen much news about it since its release. And I think the iPHONE is a great product and im not really saying there should be less news on it. Im just saying more news should be posted about other stuff too.Im a graphic designer and DJ so basically my interest in apple products taylor to other areas. People can post what they want on the forums. But what Im refering to is the articles that are posted on the home page should vary more. Like when I open mac forums all i get is news and rumors of the iPHONE most of the time. Im really waiting for news on other stuff that has not been addressed. I check this site everyday ya know. And the iPHONE came out before the MBA and apple has a fair share of other products rumors could be built on. I wanna see rumors revolving on other stuff "as well"... like maybe a new case for the desktop mac or a significant update to the laptop. Im not really asking for less news about the iPHONE just more news on other stuff. I know im probably gonna get bitched at by a few iPHONE fanboys but thats how i feel.

About the RAM, Honestly I dont need 6GB of RAM. Right now Im happy with 4GB. I just want to be able to upgrade when the time comes I run 3 to six apps at a time. I may have photoshop, illustrator and flash open all at once. And may want to burn a DVD and download stuff in the backround. I download lots of stuff especially music and to avoid clutter in my drive i like to back things up quickly. Because I work my illustrations, design and sound. Scratch disk space is important to me. I like working at high resolutions and i have multiple files open. I also run music apps, since im a DJ and i can benefit from the extra RAM cause alot of the music is performed in real time and cant have the software failing in front of a crowd. So I like to keep my hard drive clean and have a decent amount of RAM when DJing. On top of all this Leopard weighs alot. 4GB RAM is probably the least I would want to be with but I want room to add more RAM when the time comes.

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Relevant rumours and news are posted on the front page, and at the moment there tends to be more iPhone-related news and rumours. It's simple.

9. rickboy thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm... so if there was no iPHONE there wouldnt be much rumors about apple products? There would be nothing to say or more news to post? This site would be updated once or twice a week...Naahh... for some reason i aint eating that up... The apple cumminity is made up of different type of people with different needs... not just people waiting to get the next iPHONE and definitly not people who just belong to AT&T. I dont have AT&T and dont plan on signing up with them, so im assuming all the people who own an i phone are AT&T clients. so i couldnt get an iPHONE even if i wanted one. Like i said, Im not looking for less rumors on iPHONE, Im just looking for more rumors on other stuff. So tell me when is apple gonna upgrade the casing for the MP and MBP? Any new features, ports or hardware upgrades? I really dislike the G5 aluminum case ya know. Its too big and its like a huge air filter. When are they gonna update their Cinema Displays? An update about the penryn Mac mini update would be nice.... i mean lots of stuff can be addressed about mac products ya know.

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Well, we can't exactly control how many and how often the rumors are, so there is no other real way around it, once again, just add the iPhone forum to your block list

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

If a website comes up with a credible rumour or piece of news about new cinema displays, for example, then it will get reported here. MacRumors finds, posts and discusses rumours from around the web. It doesn't invent them.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You want more news and rumors about Apple computers. But, there ISN'T any. What do you want? People to make stuff up? Right now the iPhone is the hottest topic regardless if you like it or not. There is only so much computer news and since laptops were just updated there isn't a lot of hype anymore. Besides, all those topics you listed in your last post about laptops have all been beaten to death. Try doing a search.

News does not revolve around your interests, it revolves around the interests of the majority.

13. rickboy thread starter macrumors newbie

actually I also asked for rumors on the mac desktops and the cinema displayes, which are extremely overdue. But i wouldnt put the iphone on my block list cause im not saying i dont wanna hear news from it. i just feel the rest of apples lineup is ignored and neglected because of it. Rumors are something you need to dig out and im just hoping someone finds something on the other stuff, cuz apple should be working on new display technology, so why not dig it out. Anyone hear works for apple? or knows someone who works for apple? Who knows I may just sit down and see what i can find myself, but thats why i come to this website, so it kinda defeats the purpose. Im pretty excited about that new quad core mobile prcessor... nelheim I think its called, cause honestly that mac book pro update was pretty moderate. I was hoping for a higher frontside bus. So I guess Im gonna purchase a MAC mini and wait for the rumored Nelheim chipset which is rumord to appear in late 2008 or early 2009. Lots of stuff to talk about on this site. besides the iPHONE. Hell... iPHONE has its own page at the top right menu bar of this page. I guess im not so wrong. But i guess i got not much else to say ill sound like a broken record and im not here to be trolling or pestering people and everybody has diferent opinions that i respect, im not asking for less rumors of iPHONE, cause when its any news concerning apple, more is never really enough regardless what product... its always exciting to know what apple is upto. Just wish more news surfaced about other products and if you dig im certain youll find. Even the Mac book air took a back seat shortly after its release. I guess the iphone is a hot ticket now, im just hoping this changes befpre this becomes iPHONErumors.com

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

So you want people to make up rumors about other Apple products? Because that is what you are sounding like, and in which case it wouldn't be rumors, it would be lies and pure speculation, which you could do yourself. So what if there is a lot of hype about the iPhone right now, deal with it. It is one of Apple's "Big Three", and because it is by itself in that category, it is going to sound like it is getting a lot of news, and it should be. Just learn to deal with it, what do you want the admins to do here, ignore what could be very true/trustworthy information regarding the iPhone to make a select group happy, while making many others angry?

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The current models support up to 8GB already, let me know when you find a 4GB RAM chip for laptops.

All things fair, I want to read news about the iPhone, especially when we can get it on other service providers.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because we're only getting iPhone rumours recently since theres an upgrade coming? Every product with such constant rumours gets the same treatment.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When it comes to rumours, there are essentially two things that define how many rumours there are about any given product: (1) actual, verifiable news related (with varying levels of directness) to the product, and (2) your filter level for how credible the rumour is.

I mean, we could certainly start a rumour that Apple will release a new Macbook Air with 8GB of RAM, 1TB of SSD, and it will only weigh 2lbs, but that's absurd. Or we could start a "New iMacs on Tuesday" rumour, but on what would it be based? Our standards for (2) preclude this... and we don't exercise any control over (1).

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I agree with the OP. I don't care about the iPhone, and while I understand that it's getting a LOT of media attention right now... MR is part of the media that gives it that attention!

Here's a rundown of the latest front-page stories.

• iPhone
    • iPhone
    • OS X
    • iPhone
    • Adobe
    • iTunes
    • OS X
    • iPhone
    • TV ad!!
    • iTunes
    • OS X
    • Apple v MS
    • 2010 rumor
    • April Fools
    • mac Hacked
    • iPhone
    • iPhone
    • OS X
    • OS X
    • Aperture
    • iPhone
    • Apple
    • Adobe
    • iPhone
    • iPod/Nike

Of the past 25 stories, 8, or almost 1/3 of the stories, have been about the iPhone, and 2 of them have been about Adobe! No longer content with simply serving up rumors, Macrumors.com now serves up TV ads for Apple and Adobe news.

Also, I only counted 7 stories (that's one less then the number 8, which is the number of iPhone related stories in the past 25 updates) that could qualify as rumors. There's more iPhone press releases from investors, companies, etc., then there are actual mac rumors!

A rumor of when 4GB chips will be available would be more welcome then a pseudo press release.

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm sorry, but you are only proving my point of how the iPhone should be receiving about 1/3 of the news. If you think of it this way, Apple has 3 major product categories (Mac, iPod, iPhone), and plus, there are always going to be times when one category gets more news then the others. And the point regarding news vs. rumors, I for one am sure that most people here would rather be hearing about news/information releases than potentially false Rumors. But even so, the name of this site is MacRumors, so rumors there will be. From what I can tell, you would rather be hearing about made up rumors than news that could be relevant. And the iPhone is part of the Mac company. And in times like this when the quantity of news stories is low, you just have to expect that there will be reports over just about anything.

[sarcasm]
    And if it helps, I will play you the world's saddest song on...
    [​IMG]
    ...the world's smallest violin.
    [/sarcasm]

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Quickly, someone go make iMac or iPod rumours up! And don't spare the Tuesdays.

Seriously though, as I said above there is an iPhone update imminent so there will understandably be rumours circling about that. And guess what? They'll fade away after a few months and then there'll be super strong rumours about something else.

If you take the 3G rumour out of this you're left with what? 5-6 out of 25 recent posts about the iPhone? That sounds about right for a media hot product.

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Again, it seems you want people to make stuff up for the sake of making a "rumor". There is no new "rumors" about the items you're looking at, that's why they're not here. I don't know why you can't understand that, you're being stubborn to the point of being irrational. I don't even have an iPhone and you don't see me complaining about the lack of other "rumors".

When there's something to talk about it will be talked about. But, talking about something with zero support or backing is 100% worthless and causes more damage than good to the Apple industry - and this site.

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Isn't that the truth though... Dell is marketing a Penryn based laptop that supports up to 8GB of RAM, but in typical Dell/PC fashion they don't show you where you can get a 4GB RAM chip for a laptop, since they don't exist yet.

When they become available, then we can all rejoice.

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

However, there is only ONE iPhone mode, but there are 6 Mac models and 4 iPod models.

Take the newest story. iPhone and the FCC Myth. there's no reason why that couldn't be stated with the mockup of the black iPhone, or the Mossberg stuff. It's just more keywords, ad revenue, and fluff that has no business on a rumor site.

Just like blatant TV ads stories that Apple released a new commercial don't belong on the front page.

24. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Funny, I always thought the owner of the site decided what "belongs" on the front page. ;)

25. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I don't think you have any right to say what "belongs" on the front page. Arn owns this site and he can post that he wore an iPhone necktie today for all he cares.
    MacRumors is a site that serves up what the public is interested in along with current rumors and other Apple related tidbits.

Maybe Arn could start calling you guys up every morning and asking you what you want him to post about. I like to come here for information/rumors and if some of these things weren't posted this would be a boring site that I would not enjoy visiting.

The fact that the iPhone is the subject of a lot of posts is because there is a lot of news and rumors surrounding it right now.

I find it funny that the OP wants rumors about a redesign to the Mac Mini. Well besides the fact that there was a page 2 rumor a week ago, I don't know what he wants MacRumors to do. Start making them up?

Must be since Apple has taken a break from releasing products people have run out of things to complain about.