Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Although I prefer Guinness...

OK, I will run for President, I will take our troops out of Iraq in our quest for the black gold, but keep the manpower stong, and invade England.

Why you ask?

So the U.S. can control ownership of Guinness, the "real" black gold.

Man, how I love Guinness. :)

Oddly enough, it was the first beer I ever had and that is probably rare for an American. It took me a long time to ever get used to any light beers. Today my calorie counting demands it.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Yuengling is my go-to cheap beer. It doesn't taste as cheap as the others. I don't think it's available in the entire US though. Magic Hat is also something I'm pleased to see when I go to other people's places for a beer, but I don't think I'd ever buy it myself. I remember the Circus Boy being pretty good.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
1 Anything by Sam Adams
2 Anything by Goose Island
3 Homebrew
4 - 5 Um do you have anything else that's good?

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The Dominion Brewery is literally a mile away from where I live and it's decent stuff. It's good to be able to go into restaurants and get decent beer on tap. Most local places carry it regardless of the type of place. It's funny to see three beers on tap; Coors, Miller, and...Dominion.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Top 5 Domestic Microbrews

1. Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
2. Keweenaw Brewing Company R.A.M. Stout
3. Some excellent top-fermented Belgian triple I had in Philly but can't remember the name of. :eek:
4. Ommegang Rare Vos
5.Great Lakes Lock Tender Lager

Top 5 Domestic Macrobrews (if you're slumming it)

1. Yuengling Lager
2. Yuengling Black & Tan
3. Sam Adams
4. Miller High Life (my guilty pleasure cheap beer)
5. TIE: Schlitz, Grain Belt Premium and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Top 5 Domestic light beers...

...Are you serious? It's all *****, if you must then maybe Sam Adams' light. Otherwise, go get a G&T or vodka cranberry, you pansy.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
After reading Lord Blackadder's post I needed to "revise" my list, but I'm not going to do that I'm just going to add another so I have 6, oh well.

6. Ommegang - Three Philosophers

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
InBev, the world's largest brewer, is owned by the one and only ... ... ... dr. Evil ;)
Snort! :)

So the U.S. can control ownership of Guinness, the "real" black gold.

Man, how I love Guinness. :)
Guinness can be good at times.

Reminds me of Kirin, in that I need to be in the mood and be eating salty food. :)

1 Anything by Sam Adams
I was going to add Sam Adams to my list.

But I forgot which type. I went out with some buddies down in Tokyo and we had some Sam Adams something. Pretty good.

For all around beer, Sapporo or Asahi Super Dry. But fun to experiment with other beers. While not US domestic, Canada has some interesting beers.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Why no love for Anchor Steam by the Anchor Brewing Company, the first true microbrewery beer? :confused:

I really love anchors holiday beer and will buy lots of it so it will last me well into the spring. Anchor Steam is a good beer, but it's not one of my favorites.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
For all around beer, Sapporo or Asahi Super Dry.

Sapporo is good, but man is it expensive in the US (at least in NY and OH). I was at great sushi joint in upstate New York, dying for a beer, and all they had was crap domestic brew or a 22oz. Sapporo for an arm and a leg. I went with the Sapporo.

By the way, is Sapporo pronounced with the accent on the first or second syllable?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
2. Keweenaw Brewing Company R.A.M. Stout

I'll have to try that the next time I'm up there. I've only been to the place once (opened up well after I finished up at MTU and have only been up once for a buddy's wedding since the place opened), but I really need to make more effort to visit the place when I can (helps that said friend is now back in grad school up there).

As for my current top 5 (somewhat dominated due to nostalgia, distance, and sheer laziness of not wanting to risk spending money on beer I won't like since I drink it so infrequently):

1. Leinenkugels Red (too bad I can't get it in TX... every once in awhile when Sam's Club has the sampler case but then it's only one six pack)

2. Shiner Bock (decent substitute for my missed red)

3. Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat (What can I say I like my Leinie's...)

4. Leinenkugels Big Butt (seasonal but I've seen it in TX when it's in season)

5. Leinenkugels Creamy Dark (Comes in the Sam's Club sampler with the Red. I'm such a good WI boy, Leinie's and the Packers all the way, now if I could just find the beer equivalent of Sunday ticket so I could get my #1 consistently I'd be a happy man, poor, but happy, of course my wife would probably not be so happy)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sapporo is good, but man is it expensive in the US (at least in NY and OH). I was at great sushi joint in upstate New York, dying for a beer, and all they had was crap domestic brew or a 22oz. Sapporo for an arm and a leg. I went with the Sapporo.
Sounds good.

What kind of sushi did you have? Curious for the beer/sushi mix taste.

Also, how much did you pay for the beer?

By the way, is Sapporo pronounced with the accent on the first or second syllable?
On the first and the "R" sounds like an "L", sort of.

So maybe like this with emphasis on the first syllable:

Saw (like the start of the Sahara Desert) pour (without the r sound) low.

On Dictionary dot com, it has it: sah-paw-raw (Japanese)

However, the audio pronunciation is definitely foreigner and not native.

Hope my confusing explanation helps. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why no love for Anchor Steam by the Anchor Brewing Company, the first true microbrewery beer? :confused:

I really love anchors holiday beer and will buy lots of it so it will last me well into the spring. Anchor Steam is a good beer, but it's not one of my favorites.

I actually didn't know Anchor Steam was famous when I first tried it. I first tried it in 2000 at a bar in London. While it was relatively expensive, it was good. Then I found out it was famous. Then I found out it was really well regarded amongst American beer lovers (of real beers). The problem is, I can't quite understand why its as famous as it is.

What accent?

It's pronounced Sah-ppo-ro.

Better yet: Sah-ppo-rlo ("pp" means to emphasize the p sound, while "rl" means to roll the 'r' as though you were speaking French)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Many of the beers mentioned are local brews, few of which can be found outside of a couple of states. Here's a few of my favorite respectable domestics available nationwide, or nearly so:

Red Hook Longhammer IPA
Anchor Steam
Widmer Hefeweizen
Samuel Adams Boston Ale

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Vermont, I've driven by it a few times...

Once when I was taking a tour of Magic Hat, some stoner worker bee bumped into a stack of about 50 empty kegs and toppled them. The brewery is enclosed of course, and the ensuing racket, was, well, the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life.

:D

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Once when I was taking a tour of Magic Hat, some stoner worker bee bumped into a stack of about 50 empty kegs and toppled them. The brewery is enclosed of course, and the ensuing racket, was, well, the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life.

:D

To further the Magic Hat legacy, a few of my pals went to school at UVM and each time they would come home, they would bring Growlers.... Large jugs of beer that can only be refilled at the Magic Hat brewery -- cheap too! > $7! :D

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
To further the Magic Hat legacy, a few of my pals went to school at UVM and each time they would come home, they would bring Growlers.... Large jugs of beer that can only be refilled at the Magic Hat brewery -- cheap too! > $7! :D

Growlers are great, there is a restaurant around here you can get them at for i think 5 bucks.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
And where would that be? That should be a shi*t show.... drinking growlers at a restaurant!

Haha, I guess I wasn't clear, You buy the bottle, then you can bring it there and they're fill it and you take it home, although maybe you can drink it there, that would be pretty awesome!

It's one of those brewery/restaurant type thing called sweetwater tavern, I'm not sure how widespread they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.