Touch ID awesome

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbeagle, Oct 1, 2014.

1. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Just got my new iPhone 6 - first experience with Touch ID.

I _WAS_ clicking the home button, then swiping (like I was used to), then hovering over the Touch ID button to get in.

Then I found that all you really have to do is click the home button, then keep your finger hovered over it for another 1/4 second, and you're in.

So much simpler! Easier than even a swipe without a passcode! Love it!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Welcome to the age of Touch ID. It's a nice place to be.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I want touchID on everything of mine :)

My car, my home entrance, EVERYTHING!

4. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I agree, this is my first iPhone and touch Id is amazing, its like you haven't even locked you device. Every electronic device should have it!

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Hover? I think you actually have to touch it.

6. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Yeah, I notice that both of my parents (they're 60 and 70) still press, swipe, punch in code... which I expect from my dad -- having had an older iPhone but for ma, it's the first iPhone so there's no "old habits" to break... haha

7. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

It amazed me too when I got my 5s :) works like magic. My cousin's S5 on the other hand.. :rolleyes:

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Of course, your ma could've been borrowing your dad's iPhone and gotten used to the habit. :p

9. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I must say Touch ID really is the most amazing thing we've seen on iphones in a while

Only my gf and I can access my phone haha

10. brig2221 macrumors 6502

So funny you say that as I was thinking the same thing this morning, so convenient.

OP, I upgraded from an iPhone 5 and got to use Touch ID for the first time as well and LOVE IT. It's probably my favorite new feature (equal to the bigger screen size) on the iPhone 6.

All that said, it's my understanding that Touch ID has been significantly improved since it's initial release on the 5S. That isn't to say that it was bad on the 5S, but I think we are getting the advantage of using Touch ID on superior hardware than its original release.

11. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

I suppose she does have an iPad 2 -- so it could have come from there. I just keep my mouth shut anymore. If they want to punch in the security code every time, have at it.

Can't tell you how many times I've told them "You don't have to tell me the date and time in your voicemail. This information is logged on my phone when you call. Heck, you don't really even need to leave me a voicemail to let me know you called! I can see the missed call on my phone!"

but alas, I still get voicemails:

"Hey Son, it's your dad -- it's about 5:30 on Wednesday evening. Just calling to see how you are doing. Give me a call when you get a chance."

I love that my dad calls me and I don't take for granted that he's still around. But it IS pretty hilarious that I still get these. It's just a habit that they're never going to shake.

12. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

You're a better man than I. My wife can't even get into my phone, and I don't even have anything to hide.

13. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502

I can't do Touch ID, something about me putting my finger print on my home button I really can't stand.

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I agree. My first time using Touch ID and it's awesome. I've had the Galaxy S5 and the fingerprint sensor on that one is a hit or miss.

15. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Touch ID is definitely one of the features that keeps me buying iPhones instead of android devices. And it will only get better as app makers extend it to security for their apps (Discover Card has already done this)

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I know what you mean OP. I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 so this is the first time I'm owning an iPhone with Touch ID. I never want to go back!

17. JeepGC macrumors regular

It such a great feature! Especially now that Apple opened it up to developers.

18. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Maybe incorrect terminology. I can't KEEP the home button pressed or Siri comes up. I release the button, and maybe I'm still touching the button for 1/4 second more.

19. shabanggg macrumors member

I upgraded to a 6 from a 4s and I love the Touch ID, wow! Simply amazing. I feel spoiled now every time I unlock my iPhone. So easy and nice..and it's protected like a passcode would protect it...loooooove it!

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You just mean that your finger is resting on the home button, not clicking it.

I have noticed that the Touch ID on the 6+ works even better than it did on my 5S.

21. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Hahaha

22. nabwong macrumors regular

If everything uses Touch ID, be wary of leaving your finger prints anywhere, door knobs, wine glass on a counter, etc.

23. bbeagle, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

You can pick what finger, or even what body part you want to use for TouchID. Right now it only works on my right thumb. I could have used my elbow, my nose, or even my schlong.

And it won't work just by 'lifting a print' and showing that print to Touch ID - it's much more complicated. So there are no worries. It's much easier for someone to get into my house by stealing my house keys (or even taking a picture of them) and copying them than my finger print!

24. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Coming from the 5 I'm amazed how well the TouchID works. I never used a passcode before but this is so easy and fast, it's a no brainer! :D

:apple:

25. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

My first time using it... the best!!

Makes life soo much faster/easier