Touch ID awesome

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Just got my new iPhone 6 - first experience with Touch ID.

I _WAS_ clicking the home button, then swiping (like I was used to), then hovering over the Touch ID button to get in.

Then I found that all you really have to do is click the home button, then keep your finger hovered over it for another 1/4 second, and you're in.

So much simpler! Easier than even a swipe without a passcode! Love it!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I _WAS_ clicking the home button, then swiping (like I was used to), then hovering over the Touch ID button to get in.

Then I found that all you really have to do is click the home button, then keep your finger hovered over it for another 1/4 second, and you're in.

Welcome to the age of Touch ID. It's a nice place to be.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I want touchID on everything of mine :)

My car, my home entrance, EVERYTHING!

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London

I agree, this is my first iPhone and touch Id is amazing, its like you haven't even locked you device. Every electronic device should have it!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Hover? I think you actually have to touch it.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, I notice that both of my parents (they're 60 and 70) still press, swipe, punch in code... which I expect from my dad -- having had an older iPhone but for ma, it's the first iPhone so there's no "old habits" to break... haha

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, I notice that both of my parents (they're 60 and 70) still press, swipe, punch in code... which I expect from my dad -- having had an older iPhone but for ma, it's the first iPhone so there's no "old habits" to break... haha
Of course, your ma could've been borrowing your dad's iPhone and gotten used to the habit. :p

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I must say Touch ID really is the most amazing thing we've seen on iphones in a while

Only my gf and I can access my phone haha

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I want touchID on everything of mine :)

My car, my home entrance, EVERYTHING!
So funny you say that as I was thinking the same thing this morning, so convenient.

OP, I upgraded from an iPhone 5 and got to use Touch ID for the first time as well and LOVE IT. It's probably my favorite new feature (equal to the bigger screen size) on the iPhone 6.

All that said, it's my understanding that Touch ID has been significantly improved since it's initial release on the 5S. That isn't to say that it was bad on the 5S, but I think we are getting the advantage of using Touch ID on superior hardware than its original release.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Of course, your ma could've been borrowing your dad's iPhone and gotten used to the habit. :p
I suppose she does have an iPad 2 -- so it could have come from there. I just keep my mouth shut anymore. If they want to punch in the security code every time, have at it.

Can't tell you how many times I've told them "You don't have to tell me the date and time in your voicemail. This information is logged on my phone when you call. Heck, you don't really even need to leave me a voicemail to let me know you called! I can see the missed call on my phone!"

but alas, I still get voicemails:

"Hey Son, it's your dad -- it's about 5:30 on Wednesday evening. Just calling to see how you are doing. Give me a call when you get a chance."

I love that my dad calls me and I don't take for granted that he's still around. But it IS pretty hilarious that I still get these. It's just a habit that they're never going to shake.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
I must say Touch ID really is the most amazing thing we've seen on iphones in a while

Only my gf and I can access my phone haha

You're a better man than I. My wife can't even get into my phone, and I don't even have anything to hide.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Touch ID is definitely one of the features that keeps me buying iPhones instead of android devices. And it will only get better as app makers extend it to security for their apps (Discover Card has already done this)

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I know what you mean OP. I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 so this is the first time I'm owning an iPhone with Touch ID. I never want to go back!

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
I upgraded to a 6 from a 4s and I love the Touch ID, wow! Simply amazing. I feel spoiled now every time I unlock my iPhone. So easy and nice..and it's protected like a passcode would protect it...loooooove it!

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Maybe incorrect terminology. I can't KEEP the home button pressed or Siri comes up. I release the button, and maybe I'm still touching the button for 1/4 second more.
You just mean that your finger is resting on the home button, not clicking it.

I have noticed that the Touch ID on the 6+ works even better than it did on my 5S.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
If everything uses Touch ID, be wary of leaving your finger prints anywhere, door knobs, wine glass on a counter, etc.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If everything uses Touch ID, be wary of leaving your finger prints anywhere, door knobs, wine glass on a counter, etc.
You can pick what finger, or even what body part you want to use for TouchID. Right now it only works on my right thumb. I could have used my elbow, my nose, or even my schlong.

And it won't work just by 'lifting a print' and showing that print to Touch ID - it's much more complicated. So there are no worries. It's much easier for someone to get into my house by stealing my house keys (or even taking a picture of them) and copying them than my finger print!

Last edited:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Coming from the 5 I'm amazed how well the TouchID works. I never used a passcode before but this is so easy and fast, it's a no brainer! :D

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.