Touchbar Macbook Pro & Java

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starclimbing9, Dec 14, 2016.

1. starclimbing9 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I know that this might be a silly question, but I am wondering about putting Java on my new Macbook Pro 15" with touch bar as I occasionally like to play a game that requires it.

I am just concerned about Java possibly harming my computer in someway or not being safe. If it is, it is not a problem as I have another computer that I can use for this.

Thank you very much,

2. littlepud macrumors regular

Java is a POS, just like Flash. If you REALLY need it, you're best off shoving it in a VM.

3. starclimbing9 thread starter macrumors newbie

This was my thought too, so thank you, I will not be installing it then :)

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

I run java all the time on my rMBP 15. I intellij as my IDE for straight java and Android development. It all works fine and with no issues.

5. Qwaf macrumors member

Java plugins are not good, however you don't necessarily have to go as far as running it in a VM. You can have Chrome (for instance) just not run any plugins at all unless you specifically tell it to, either per site or based on a whitelist,.

6. leman macrumors 604

Just don't enable Java in web and you are golden. Of course you can play minecraft on your MBP

7. starclimbing9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay thank you!

SO after I install Java do I just have to go into my Safari and Chrome Preferences to disable it on the web?

8. Qwaf macrumors member

Yeah, I'm not sure about Safari, but I believe Chrome now defaults to not running any plugins (Java or flash) unless you tell it to anyway. I think it may be the same with Safari, at least for Java.

9. starclimbing9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a silly follow up question, but I assume that this would be the correct source for acquiring Java safely?

https://www.oracle.com/java/index.html

Also, if chosen to, I would uninstall Java the same way I would photoshop or any other application?