Toyota Expanding CarPlay to 2020 Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Toyota today ahead of the Chicago Auto Show announced that its 2020 model year Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner vehicles will feature CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa in the United States.

[​IMG]
    CarPlay in 2020 Toyota Sequoia

CarPlay will be a standard feature in each vehicle, but screen size will vary by trim. With the 2020 Tacoma, for example, the base SR trim will feature a 7-inch touchscreen while SR5 trims and higher as well as TRD Pro trims of the Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner will feature a larger 8-inch touchscreen.

The press release doesn't specify whether the CarPlay implementation is wired or wireless, but it is presumably wired in line with its 2019 and newer Avalon, Corolla Hatchback, Camry, RAV4, Sienna, and C-HR. Toyota will offer wireless CarPlay in the 2020 Supra since it is based on a BMW platform.

Last year, we published an in-depth review of how CarPlay performs in the 2019 Avalon and 2019 Corolla Hatchback.

Toyota was one of the last major automakers to offer CarPlay, which provides convenient dashboard access to iPhone apps such as Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Music, and Spotify. These will be the first-ever Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner models with factory-installed CarPlay.

CarPlay availability in Toyota vehicles may vary outside of the United States. Pricing and availability were not disclosed.

[​IMG]
    2020 Volkswagen Passat in Europe

In related news, Volkswagen this week announced that the 2020 Passat will be its first vehicle with wireless CarPlay, although the press release is for the European market. It's unclear if or when Volkswagen will offer wireless CarPlay in the United States or other countries--we've reached out to ask.

CarPlay enthusiasts may remember that Apple apparently prevented Volkswagen from demoing wireless CarPlay way back at CES 2016 for reasons unknown.

Article Link: Toyota Expanding CarPlay to 2020 Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, and 4Runner

2. AlfieJ macrumors newbie

3. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Makes me wonder why wireless CarPlay is so slow to roll out. More and more cars have the necessary hardware.

4. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

That probably means still not on the Lexus RX's either.

5. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

Finally. In the market for a new tundra but will wait for the 2020 now.

6. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Glad VW is finally offering wireless carplay.
    The new Golf arriving at the end of this year will likely get it too.

And it's already confirmed for the VW I.D (Neo), which is likely my next car.

7. timber macrumors 6502

The Euro Passat is a lot different from the US version. It will come.
    The Golf mk8 is also almost here, it will no doubt feature wireless Carplay.

8. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Buying a foreign car is an awfully steep price to pay just to get Car Play.

9. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Wireless carplay! That's what I want. None of this take your phone out of your pocket and plug it in like it's 2015.

10. WilliamG macrumors G3

Right, we’ll just have no battery life at the end of our GPS-using commute.

Wireless CarPlay is clearly designed to go hand in hand with Qi chargers built in to cars. You get in the car, dump the phone on the charging area, and away you go with wireless CarPlay without needing to fumble with wires.

Sure, for short trips you can not even take your phone out of your pocket, but just watch that battery dump.

11. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

12. hofer, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

hofer macrumors member

I wish Toyota would follow Mazda's lead and allow installation of CarPlay on previous years' models that have that awful Entune/Scout system installed.

13. Hazmat401 macrumors member

Hazmat401

Ahh... the F150 with the 5.0 is a way better truck.... you should really consider cross shopping

14. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

my tacoma will be the last truck i buy......until I buy the tesla truck

15. NomadicTy macrumors regular

16. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

The tesla truck might get me into trucks for the first time.

17. Mr. Heckles, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

I read someplace that the wireless charging can't keep up with wireless Apple Car Play. I need to find that again.

I wonder if the 2020 Tacoma will also come with rear disc brakes and power seats also...

18. timber macrumors 6502

There are still cars on sale without disc brakes?

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I hate these things in cars, but it seems it's gonna be standard features in all cars in the future. At least it will be standardized instead of every manufacturer with their own interface.

20. ChittagongBoy macrumors member

ChittagongBoy

I wonder if there would be a backward compatibilty for 2017 GTIs

21. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Personally, I don't mind taking my phone out before driving and then put it back when I'm done. However, on longer trips, I'd need some charging option.

I'm also waiting for an updated Prius, though I don't really care if it's the prime or not. While CarPlay alone won't make me buy a new car, it would be nice. My current Prius does a good enough job at the moment. However, my parents are at the very beginning stage of wondering if they should replace their Corolla.

22. miflgr92 macrumors member

I love CarPlay in my 2017 Ford Explorer but every time I plug my phone in I think “I can’t believe they didn’t make this wireless.” I hope all car manufacturers add wireless CarPlay within the next year. It would be an added bonus if they could figure out a way to add it to previous model years via a software update or something.

23. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

I'd rather automakers just use a standard Double DIN setup for their stereos, perhaps add a larger triple DIN standard too. So that consumers can add Carplay to any vehicle they want. Better yet add internal USB and standardized communication with onboard equipment and controls. So that those aftermarket system can easily accept any radio controls and receive info from any other car systems the factory radio would normally display. Without an array of complex adapters. One can always dream.

24. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

Yup!! as of 2018 it was still drum brakes in the rear. There is a video that explains why.... but I still don't get it. The video was cool, it was showing a Tacoma getting unstuck from a sand pit and I guess disc brakes would be ruined.

25. timber macrumors 6502

That ship has sailed a long time ago...
    Regular consumers just don't care and would probably be worse off considering the deep integration in several models. Some manufacturers phone in their media system (most of them from Japan... those long distance calls must take the blame for sure...) but others do a great job.