Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Why would I mention "great display" and "great battery life" for the 6S if I'm talking about a comparison of advantages ?

If I'm just naming all the basic and general "good" features for both I might as well have a 40 point list for both or just copy and paste the entire spec sheet.

and the 6+/6S+ is pocketable, I carry it in my pocket every day. The resolution difference is something that's been commented on/recognized commonly, and one handed use and "pocketable" fall under the same category of "easier handling" on my list.

I know you have a preference/bias because you now have a 6S but I dont think your list should make it that blatant.

You listed ONE thing that is a positive for the 6s versus the Plus. I can do everything with the 6s that I can do with the Plus.

We realize you favor the Plus, great but please don't make it so blatant with a list so shorthanded for the 6s which is rather ridiculous.

Orlaam

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
That's why we have choices. I love my 6s Plus so far, and I'm coming from a 5s. I can one-hand operate just fine and I'm a normal size man. It took like 3 days to adjust. Don't know why people need to vent about it. Find it too big, go with the 6s. That's why they make two sizes IMO, so you can choose what fits you best. The 6s is a perfect size for all around use. It compares to my original Motorola X I had and going back to a smaller screen with the 5 and 5s sucked.

I do think the perfect everyday carry phone is the standard 6s; however, I really wanted the larger screen and extra features.

Reactions: cmichaelb

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Lol...there are like 100 I tried the 6s plus threads with people venting about how big the phone is. Flash News Alert::: Yes it's BIG!

Advice to the OP... Don't vent, just bring it back, no matter what anyone says here your hands aren't magically going to grow tomorrow. If the phone is too big for you it's too big. For us that use it it's a normal everyday thing for us. I have a case on mine, I have a bunch that I own actually, mostly TPU cases, and a few bumper cases with the matte frosted back. Adds hardly anything to the phone by the way.

Get a 6 and call it a day.

Says the one venting

If you actually read the OP, you would see that they said they are taking it back.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
That's why we have choices. I love my 6s Plus so far, and I'm coming from a 5s. I can one-hand operate just fine and I'm a normal size man. It took like 3 days to adjust. Don't know why people need to vent about it. Find it too big, go with the 6s. That's why they make two sizes IMO, so you can choose what fits you best. The 6s is a perfect size for all around use. It compares to my original Motorola X I had and going back to a smaller screen with the 5 and 5s sucked.

I do think the perfect everyday carry phone is the standard 6s; however, I really wanted the larger screen and extra features.
I think some of the venting is a result of not liking the phone we should like (on paper).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

I'd love to see a video on youtube. And yes I'm serious because most cannot do one handed use with the Plus.

Reactions: lordofthereef

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
So I bought a 6s Plus last week, but I just can't get used to the size. The phone is simply too big and clumsy in the hand - trying to whip it out quickly and use with one hand requires constant balancing and hand readjustments to reach the entire screen. I end up balancing the phone on my fingers which is a sure fire recipe for drops. When I need to reach the upper 25% of the screen I kinda slide/bounce the phone down in my hand...then slide/bounce it up when I'm done. The reach-ability thing feels like an extra step I'd rather not do - and it just doesn't feel natural on a touchscreen where my thumb wants to reach out and touch what I want without thinking. It's almost impossible to hold the phone up and use it one handed while laying down (like in the recliner while I'm watching TV). Using one hand to check something quickly in the car or messing with maps is just annoying!

Another issue I have is that pulling out the plus is almost a public event rather than a personal matter. The phone is so big that I feel like anyone near me can see what I'm doing. With the 6s you can sorta cuff it in your hand with a secure grip like the easy-to-one-hand 4 or 4s - it's really not that much bigger feeling to me (0.9" taller/0.33" wider/.09" slimmer). The 4.7" has that natural extension of the hand feeling which I feel is essential for a phone. It doesn't feel like it could get away from me. I can't see the 6s being hard to one hand for anyone with at least an average size woman hand.

And what about cases? I'm one of those that like to keep my expensive phone in pristine condition - how do you folks use a 6 plus with a case that adds say 1/4"+ to the width? I only used the plus without a case, but I can't imagine how bulky it must feel with a case that offers decent protection.

I can understand the plus being a tablet substitute for some, but I just don't see it happening for me. I don't have a tablet, but instead of using the plus like one, I'd rather get on my laptop. Phone on the go/killing time and laptop for when I want to get stuff done (like typing up this post). I NEVER used landscape on the plus or any other phone - granted I'm not a gamer.

The 6s takes good enough pictures for me and I'm guessing 90% would never see a difference. I can't see a difference based on what I've seen.

The screens look the same to me.

IMO, the 6s would be the perfect phone if it had a slightly bigger battery. Relative to the Plus, in test I've seen online, the 6s and 6s plus are separated by only an hour or less. That's not really game changing...especially if you always carry a charger in your car.

It was fun 6s+, but tomorrow I'm switching you out for the 6s.

BTW - I'm no tech geek so take it easy on me.

Having an Apple Watch helps a lot with not having to take my phone out as often. Helps with battery life too, I've noticed. And then when I want a nice big screen, or to take a photo, out comes my 6s Plus!

Reactions: AJsAWiz

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
We still have these threads? Since the 6 and 6 plus have been out for a year why are people still having this debate and posting about the fact they bought the wrong device, despite having a year to pop into stores and check them out?

I could understand these threads last year when people had to make a decision blind if they pre-ordered, but now?

Maybe some are just trying out the iphone for the first time? There is always a new generation of folks, not saying the OP is new to the iPhone, i'm just saying. Its actually annoying to see the annoyed ones commenting on what their annoyed. So be prepared for the 6s plus vs 7 Plus threads.....ends with

"Circle of Life" song

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Maybe some are just trying out the iphone for the first time? There is always a new generation of folks, not saying the OP is new to the iPhone, i'm just saying. Its actually annoying to see the annoyed ones commenting on what their annoyed. So be prepared for the 6s plus vs 7 Plus threads.....ends with

"Circle of Life" song

I understand that some may not have owned previous iPhones. My point is that Apple and mobile phone shops have had the 6 plus in-store for about a year now for people to look at and handle, so how large the 6s Plus is shouldn't actually be that much of a surprise to anyone.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
And how do you carry it around when not in use? The darn Plus felt like I had an extra body part when in pockets! :)
Yes, it does feel like that! Hahaa

Since I've gotten my hands on the 6S+ last night, so far I have worn both shorts and cargo pants, and the slimness of the phone lets it slide in pretty easily. However the length (heigth) of the 6S+ has it close to sticking out of my pocket and worries me that it might slide out if I were bike riding.

I do feel a pronounced presence in my pocket as I walk, but surely my body will adjust to that feeling as it did once I started packing a smartphone years ago. It's barely irritating me, to be honest; but I haven't tried it with my jeans yet...THAT will be the test.

This coming week will reveal if I can go about my daily life with the phone strapped to me, and if the certainly limited amount of one-handed use is worth the loss of agileness that I was once accustomed to.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Personally, I stay away from cell phone stores until I'm ready to buy one. That means very little hands-on time with the Plus. And trying to use the beast in the real world is much different than playing on it at the store.

Reactions: iApple_man

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
So I bought a 6s Plus last week, but I just can't get used to the size. The phone is simply too big and clumsy in the hand - trying to whip it out quickly and use with one hand requires constant balancing and hand readjustments to reach the entire screen. I end up balancing the phone on my fingers which is a sure fire recipe for drops. When I need to reach the upper 25% of the screen I kinda slide/bounce the phone down in my hand...then slide/bounce it up when I'm done. The reach-ability thing feels like an extra step I'd rather not do - and it just doesn't feel natural on a touchscreen where my thumb wants to reach out and touch what I want without thinking. It's almost impossible to hold the phone up and use it one handed while laying down (like in the recliner while I'm watching TV). Using one hand to check something quickly in the car or messing with maps is just annoying!

Another issue I have is that pulling out the plus is almost a public event rather than a personal matter. The phone is so big that I feel like anyone near me can see what I'm doing. With the 6s you can sorta cuff it in your hand with a secure grip like the easy-to-one-hand 4 or 4s - it's really not that much bigger feeling to me (0.9" taller/0.33" wider/.09" slimmer). The 4.7" has that natural extension of the hand feeling which I feel is essential for a phone. It doesn't feel like it could get away from me. I can't see the 6s being hard to one hand for anyone with at least an average size woman hand.

And what about cases? I'm one of those that like to keep my expensive phone in pristine condition - how do you folks use a 6 plus with a case that adds say 1/4"+ to the width? I only used the plus without a case, but I can't imagine how bulky it must feel with a case that offers decent protection.

I can understand the plus being a tablet substitute for some, but I just don't see it happening for me. I don't have a tablet, but instead of using the plus like one, I'd rather get on my laptop. Phone on the go/killing time and laptop for when I want to get stuff done (like typing up this post). I NEVER used landscape on the plus or any other phone - granted I'm not a gamer.

The 6s takes good enough pictures for me and I'm guessing 90% would never see a difference. I can't see a difference based on what I've seen.

The screens look the same to me.

IMO, the 6s would be the perfect phone if it had a slightly bigger battery. Relative to the Plus, in test I've seen online, the 6s and 6s plus are separated by only an hour or less. That's not really game changing...especially if you always carry a charger in your car.

It was fun 6s+, but tomorrow I'm switching you out for the 6s.

BTW - I'm no tech geek so take it easy on me.

Wow sorry to hear that, I found adjusting from a 6 to a 6s Plus rather easy. I'm not sure how using the double touch of the home button is an issue compared to your hand adjustment, I would think that would make it a lot easier. that has worked well for me.

The only thing I ever have had trouble with personally was adjusting from the 4s to 5s. I was so used to pulling the shorter phone out of my pocket and up after 4 years (3Gs and 4s) that the extra length of the 5s would catch in my pocket as I hadn't pulled it out far enough and it catch and I'd drop it - a lot. it took awhile for me to adjust. When I went to the 6, I was used to that adjust and had no issue, same with the 6s Plus.

As for cases, I'm very sensitive to thick cases no matter what phone generation. I only use a handful of cases - namely Spigen and Magpul, and very specific Spigen ones - ie Spigen Liquid Crystal or Spigen Neo Hybrid -work well for me and I have short fingers(large palms).

If it doesn't work for you, by all means switch- that's the nice thing about two different sizes. I agree though, the 6/6s is the optimum combination of screen size and usability.

IMG_0034.jpg

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Yes, it does feel like that! Hahaa

Since I've gotten my hands on the 6S+ last night, so far I have worn both shorts and cargo pants, and the slimness of the phone lets it slide in pretty easily. However the length (heigth) of the 6S+ has it close to sticking out of my pocket and worries me that it might slide out if I were bike riding.
I often wear mesh type basketball shorts. Like you said, the + goes in easily, but it also seems to slide out easily.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well come on people, also phones are big these days. I mean, look at the galaxy note 5 it's just the same size as the iPhone and people by it all the time so what's the problem? Do you have tiny hands? Do you like to strain your eyesight by looking at a smaller screen? I have the 6s plus and to be honest with you I could not even stand going to a smaller phone. The 6S is an improvement over the 5s but it's really not that much bigger so it still looks way too small for me. I think the 6S plus is the perfect size. I don't think that I would want to be any larger but it is excellent the way it is right now.

I have a Note 5, big difference to me personally for handling it and carrying it in my pocket versus the Plus. Size matters and in this case it is a big difference despite the Plus not being that much larger.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Plenty of people utilize the smaller iPhone to its fullest potential for the things they want to do. Both have the same features just in a smaller size. The battery in the smaller iPhone is enough or they carry a battery pack or charger in the car. They do not just talk and text and it is so much easier to carry and handle.

I never said they didn't, hence the term "for me" at the very beginning of that paragraph...

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
You listed ONE thing that is a positive for the 6s versus the Plus. I can do everything with the 6s that I can do with the Plus.

We realize you favor the Plus, great but please don't make it so blatant with a list so shorthanded for the 6s which is rather ridiculous.

and where did I say it was impossible for anyone to physically do most of the same tasks on either phone ?

even though technically image stabilization, 1080p viewing, landscape mode, and getting longer use due to the battery are all things you can't "do" with the regular 6S , so yeah I'd have to say you're still wrong there.

I do favor the Plus obviously from the second part of my post where I say "for me" and proceed to explain my preference. The list before it however was meant to be an objective list. I simply named the technical advantages of each while trying to keep it as free of personal preference as possible.

You disagree with that ? well other than size creating a handling convenience (which is exactly what I listed) what other advantage does the 6S have over the 6S Plus ? If you're so mad at about me naming just that ONE thing and being "rather ridiculous" then what would you say to refute that ?

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Plenty of people utilize the smaller iPhone to its fullest potential for the things they want to do. Both have the same features just in a smaller size. The battery in the smaller iPhone is enough or they carry a battery pack or charger in the car. They do not just talk and text and it is so much easier to carry and handle.

Not exactly. OIS and some interface differences that help with one handed use. Not to mention the screen size.
I often wear mesh type basketball shorts. Like you said, the + goes in easily, but it also seems to slide out easily.

Yeah that nylon is slick.

I'd love to see a video on youtube. And yes I'm serious because most cannot do one handed use with the Plus.

It's not that hard. Double tap home to slide the screen, pressing the base against your body to help stabilize it, shifting your hand, it's doable, but there's a learning curve. It's not for everyone, the 6/6s 4.7" screen is the best compromise of screen size and usability IMO.

I understand that some may not have owned previous iPhones. My point is that Apple and mobile phone shops have had the 6 plus in-store for about a year now for people to look at and handle, so how large the 6s Plus is shouldn't actually be that much of a surprise to anyone.

I did that even before I got my 6. I kept toying with the 6 Plus. I ended up going with a 6 to allow myself time to adjust to a larger phone in increments. I also talked to people out in public in lines etc. who I saw using a Plus and asked them questions about how they use it, their adjustment to it, etc.

I feel like more people could have done some homework before jumping up to a 6 Plus/6s Plus. This is not intended to be a knock on the OP, I just think some people who have issues should have done more investigation of the differences.

I even bought the Rolling Stone issue that had the Apple ad with lifesize images of the 6 and 6 Plus and made cardboard mockups based on the dimensions of the phones to approximate the hand feel (did the same thing with Apple watch). Here's the 6 Plus.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/...hone/61DEA9B4-273B-4E5A-B384-73DAFFFD9588.jpg

Last edited:

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I have tiny hands and can't really even use my 6 one handed, so the lack of one handed usability isn't a thing for me at all. It's purely a personal preference...everyone has different needs, and that's why there are two models. No right or wrong...just right or wrong for YOU.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Geez folks, don't you think the folks that got the 6s (on this forum) realize the differences (not advantages) offered by the Plus and still got the smaller iphone? To those folks the differences did not matter enough if not at all. Their iphone performs for what they need it to regardless and probably long enough during the day that they need it to besides.

And they have something they consider quite more portable, better and easy to handle and store on their person when not in use.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015

I've found the silicone case adds enough "grip" that it doesn't slip out of my basketball short pockets on leg lifts, etc. Give it a try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.