Triple-Lens Camera on 2019 iPhones Said to Enable 3D Sensing and Enhanced Zoom

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will launch at least one new iPhone model with a triple-lens rear camera in 2019, according to Taiwanese website Economic Daily News, citing a research note from Deutsche Securities analyst Jialin Lu.

[​IMG]
    A triple-lens iPhone X mockup by Martin Hajek via iDrop News

Lu believes the triple-lens camera system will enable advanced 3D sensing via stereoscopic vision, with two of the sensors able to capture images of a single object from different angles. A triangulation method would then be used to obtain the distance between the iPhone and the object.

Like the TrueDepth system on the front of the iPhone X, the report suggests that the rear 3D sensing will be used for augmented reality purposes. The prediction lines up with a report from Bloomberg's Alex Webb, who last year said future iPhones will be equipped with rear-facing 3D sensing capabilities.

At the time, Webb reported that Apple was evaluating a time-of-flight approach that calculates the time it takes for a laser to bounce off surrounding objects to create a 3D image of the environment, but Lu believes that Apple will instead use the triple-lens approach for the rear camera system.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has repeatedly expressed his profound interest in augmented reality. Last year, Apple released its ARKit platform, enabling developers to create augmented reality apps for iPhones and iPads on iOS 11.

Meanwhile, the third lens would likely have a longer focal length for enhanced zoom capabilities, according to Lu.

The long-focus lens would likely enable 3x optical zoom on an iPhone for the first time, enabling users to magnify the image in the viewfinder by up to three times without a blurry reduction in quality like digital zoom. iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models feature 2x optical zoom for comparison.

Huawei's new P20 Pro smartphone became the first with a triple-lens rear camera system, including a 40-megapixel lens, a 20-megapixel monochrome lens, and an eight-megapixel telephoto lens with up to 3x optical zoom.

[​IMG]

Yuanta Securities analyst Jeff Pu also expects Apple to release at least one iPhone with a triple-lens rear camera next year.

Article Link: Triple-Lens Camera on 2019 iPhones Said to Enable 3D Sensing and Enhanced Zoom

2. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

How about working on getting rid of the protrusion?

3. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Does anyone else feel like this is building up to be a Saturday Night Live sketch. Like with the razors. Now they have 3 lenses. Now they have 4. Introducing the 37 lens Iphone. lol

4. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

Should be pointed out that 3D sensing seems more geared toward augmented reality than 3D image capture.

5. AngerDanger, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Awesome! I'm thinking of getting a third eye installed so I can sense 3D too!

:confused:

6. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Cool feature. Apple is going to start to reveal the fruits of its efforts in AR next year!
    But what's next? Quadruple cameras on the back? Double front cameras?

7. jackietreeh0rn macrumors newbie

Don't worry, at some point they'll eventually fill the back panel with an array of cameras and then there'll be no question of any protrusion.

8. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Forget about the triple-lens and offer the phones for less than $1000 again. My view.

9. AlbinoPigeon macrumors regular

Doesn't Google do this with one lens already using dual pixels?

10. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

They need to work on fixing low light photos on the X; they look awful. Move the flash so that it’s not inside of the same housing as the lens. No one talks about this, but it has ruined so many photos for me and not just ones taken in low light.

11. Cosmosent macrumors 6502

Cosmosent

I have the ONLY working (Motion Photography) Dual Camera / Portrait Mode feature in one of my apps, & it clearly illustrates how tough it is to "align the camera to photo subjects" ... & by that I mean, relying-upon the existing Apple Frameworks.

I personally believe Attachment Cameras (w/o their inherent size / lens restrictions) may be the much smarter way to go, even for Apple.

12. DrumApple, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

DrumApple macrumors 6502a

This is getting comical with the camera lenses... if you're so into photography, do yourself a favor and buy a real DSLR camera. Let's keep innovating the smartphone in other areas, the camera has received enough attention already.

EDIT: oh, and hardly anyone is using or wants to use AR... it's a lot to bet on an unproven technology. AR could easily go the way of 3D movies. Don't mean to upset all the Pokeman Go players but...

13. epox999 macrumors newbie

does anyone even want any of these silly features? why can't we get a higher mah battery or more impact resistant glass

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

3X makes no sense, why not double it again for 4X?

15. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

eyes.gif

16. Krayzkat macrumors 6502

Krayzkat

I was hoping for something like this, but was thinking more like a Face ID infrared type lens and receiver, so that people could scan in 3d images which could then be sent to others or used in AG (kinda like the Ikea app but with your own objects) etc

17. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

Personal opinion but AR seems like an innovation for the hell of inventing something (unless you are a hardcore gamer maybe)

Just like Siri I find it just too inconvenient.

Siri = I am happy when I do not have to talk for a minute in my spare time. I don’t want to think what I want it to do. I rather press a few button and know it will end up correct.

AR = holding up your phone like an idiot in public, getting it do show you stuff you could just look up yourself

18. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Camera is where tech is progressing. CPU, battery, screen... these techs are at a plateau.

19. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

Aren’t mockups supposed to be nicer than the actually product?

20. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

As if the battery life currently on the iPhone X is not good enough? And considering how resistant and durable the current iPhone displays are. I’m not sure what you’re complaining about.

22. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

23. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

No space for a headphone socket anymore on phones twice as big as the 2010 iPhone that managed it, but hey, let's stick 3 protruding lenses on, yay! Great design!* :rolleyes:

*I take back my sarcasm and apologise if they fit an extra lens in and reduce or eliminate the protrusion. Or return the headphone socket.

24. davie18 macrumors regular

What? If they can improve phone cameras further you don’t think they should?

I’m not saying I think having 3 lenses is a good idea but in principle they should try and improve the camera further if there are improvements to be made.

Apple are a huge company. Just because they want to improve one feature doesn’t mean they can’t also improve everything else on the phone like you suggest