Trolling by non-Apple users

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by decafjava, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

The "far more blatant examples" have been already brought up in this thread. You won't see the outcome as most of the posts dealing with the issue were deleted.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2018 ---

Our interpretation differs in this respect as well.

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It appears to, which, again is the kind of thing that relates to it all given that multiple interpretations can exist and it's not a given which one is the only right one.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Perhaps you hadn't noticed that I lack the red and white Staff Member banner below my name. I'm retired and therefore do not do any moderating here. You quoted me when I was speaking about page views and monetization, not about interpreting the definition of trolling, or any direction thereof.

Regardless, the moderators take their direction from the administrators on the topic of trolling and it is out in the open for all members to see. Check it out.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Time will show whose interpretation is correct.

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It certainly can and likely will. That said, it won't really change much in terms of the current suggested interpretations still being suppositions at the moment and not something that can really be known for sure right now.

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It will as it always does.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

If you flip a coin and while it's in the air you call heads and it then lands as heads it doesn't change that you made a guess when you called it while it was in the air, even if that guess turned out to be the case later. That said, feels like we are getting away from the topic.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I see you are into utopistic strive for absolute truth and fatigueless manifestations of banal wisdom.
    Backpedalling to a safe house already?
    Don't do that. Beleive more in your own supposition.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Going in circles won't change the nature of what it all is.

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I share this sentiment.
    Supposition based on available facts differs from supposition based on manifestatitions of banal wisdom.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

And yet suppositions are still suppositions, be they conspiratorial or pragmatic in nature.

12. Ulenspiegel, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

They are, but there is a nuance, i.e. what those suppositions are based on.

13. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

I just find it hilarious.

If you buy Apple products you know the difference in quality.

So if you get trolled in these forums, consider it a jealous remark from an idiot.

An idiot so insecure in their product choice that they feel the need to visit an Apple forum, register with that forum and then waste their time and energy posting negative remarks in a foolish attempt to validate their bad choices.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I said I have never been given any direction to act based on page views or revenue, and that is a true statement. I said nothing about the admins otherwise giving us moderators direction. They do all the time, but it has nothing to do with page views or revenue.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I agree 100%. I've been moderating the MR forums for the last seven years and I've never been instructed to moderate users or their posts for commercial reasons.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Obviously, I have seen quite a few troll threads and posts over time on this forum, but the cited example strikes me as being nothing of the sort, to be honest.

The tone and content suggest that this is someone who wanted feedback and had legitimate concerns about and issues with an Apple product; that does not seem to be something that can classed as a troll thread.

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It seems to be nothing of the sort, because it is smart trolling as I have pointed out in posts #106, #112 and #114.
    Seeing no significant effect in both of the threads started, the OP intelligently and wisely retreated.

18. ixxx69 macrumors 65816

In your stand of solidarity, you've moved the goal posts. The forums are ad-supported and MR derives revenue from forum traffic, and the rules and mods chosen and directed to oversee those rules are systemic... the suggestion that you have been literally told to mod a specific way for the purpose of ad revenue was not my point and again you're being obtuse (purposely or not, I have no idea)... there are many obvious examples IRL of which I will spare associating you with.

I didn't engage the mods directly in my first post because I'm well aware how futile it is to have a conversation with you - it's like talking to 'bots. Anyone with even modest critical thinking skills can see right through the BS that is regularly spouted here.

Okay, enough time wasted here. Happy forum posting everyone! ;)

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Let's agree to differ.

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

No problem.