Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

True Video iPod By Christmas?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
51,046
12,597
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Thinksecret believes that Apple may be able to get its reported "true" video iPod out to production by October, and thus just in time for the holiday buying season. As has been expected, the new iPod would complement the existing lineup at the top-end rather than replacing any existing models. Thinksecret points to recent price drops as evidence that there is now room for the new model in Apple's lineup.

Thinksecret has reported in the past that the program has seen significant technical hurdles that forced a delay in launch. However, the source of this new information is labeled as unconfirmed, so a dash of salt is recommended.
 

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
101
0
It would be strange to preview iTV, which won't be out until 2007, but not preview a new iPod product that will be out this holiday season.
 
Comment

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
236
1
It does seem likely that Apple would release a true vide iPod before Christmas. Did anyone notice that the updated models were kind of brushed over at the last keynote? Steve normally makes a big deal but it just made me think that there is more to come. Also if anyone remembers when the iPod Photo was released, they lowered the price point of the black and white and made room for the photo at the top end.
 
Comment

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
4,355
1
CyberB0b said:
It would be strange to preview iTV, which won't be out until 2007, but not preview a new iPod product that will be out this holiday season.

The imminent release of the iTV won't hamper the sales of any other products. A new widescreen video iPod, on the other hand, would kill sales of the current 5G video iPods.
 
Comment

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
163
23
CyberB0b said:
It would be strange to preview iTV, which won't be out until 2007, but not preview a new iPod product that will be out this holiday season.
not really. Knowing the iTV is coming won't likely effect your ipod purchasing decision. Knowing a video ipod is coming might very well delay your purchase decision.
 
Comment

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
236
1
mrgreen4242 said:
The imminent release of the iTV won't hamper the sales of any other products. A new widescreen video iPod, on the other hand, would kill sales of the current 5G video iPods.

Not true at all, quite a few people are not interested in video on their iPod period but the Nano doesn't provide enough storage for their library. Apple will probably eventually replace the 5G with the Video but in the mean time it will become their flagship above the 5G.
 
Comment

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
101
0
But they announced the new iPod shuffle, which won't be available until October. There goes the shuffle sales for the next few weeks...
 
Comment

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
247
0
CyberB0b said:
But they announced the new iPod shuffle, which won't be available until October. There goes the shuffle sales for the next few weeks...

I think the shuffle and a high-end iPod have two extreme different markets...
 
Comment

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
101
0
fenixx said:
I think the shuffle and a high-end iPod have two extreme different markets...

True. I mean I would luuuuuv for this to be true, but I can't ignore the red flags all over this rumor.
 
Comment

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
247
0
CyberB0b said:
True. I mean I would luuuuuv for this to be true, but I can't ignore the red flags all over this rumor.

Not to mention, its so incredibly vague.
It really isn't post-worthy, imho.

TS says throws out the rumor, then at the end of their article - "we must stress the odds are currently stacked against a 2006 release for the touch-screen iPod".

That is like me making a report saying "the iTV may be out in January, but it also could be out anytime during Q1".
 
Comment

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
664
0
Despite my credit card melting down after my 24"iMac pursches i should be able to scrap another card together to buy a new iPod. Its been a month since my 4g was stolen and i need something to replace it with. I have been waiting patiently.
 
Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
7,995
12
Go Vegan
Well this would explain two things. The upgraded video resolution on the iTunes videos, and the 16:9 Widescreen version of the movies on the iTunes store instead of the full screen videos. Although that may just be a preference (since Full Screen would cut off some display space) - I think a true widescreen iPod may be possible in the near future. :D
 
Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,242
1
Washington D.C
CyberB0b said:
But they announced the new iPod shuffle, which won't be available until October. There goes the shuffle sales for the next few weeks...


No because Apple is only selling the Shuffle 2G now, if you want a Shuffle you have to buy a New one and wait(or refub but thats a whole new ball game)
 
Comment

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
2,182
1
Oregon
mrgreen4242 said:
The imminent release of the iTV won't hamper the sales of any other products. A new widescreen video iPod, on the other hand, would kill sales of the current 5G video iPods.

Unless it's like 500 dollars. :D
 
Comment

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,236
4
AU
CyberB0b said:
The widescreen iPod is inevitable. But it won't be until 2007.

Agreed. The incremental enhancements to the 5G last week mean there won't be a widescreen ipod this year.
 
Comment

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
236
1
LimeiBook86 said:
Well this would explain two things. The upgraded video resolution on the iTunes videos, and the 16:9 Widescreen version of the movies on the iTunes store instead of the full screen videos. Although that may just be a preference (since Full Screen would cut off some display space) - I think a true widescreen iPod may be possible in the near future. :D

Actually all the new content is 640 x 480 which is a 4:3 ratio not widscreen. Hmmm
 
Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
7,995
12
Go Vegan
baxterbrittle said:
Actually all the new content is 640 x 480 which is a 4:3 ratio not widscreen. Hmmm
Well still it's a higher resolution than it was before, and some movies that you can buy from the iTunes store like "Pirates" are widescreen so, I'm sure the extra resolution will help even if it is just a bit. ;) :)
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.