TrueDepth Camera System is Primary Reason for Slow iPhone X Production

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following a report claiming Apple's suppliers are shipping only about 40 percent of the components originally planned for initial production of the iPhone X, a new report suggests the TrueDepth camera is the primary bottleneck.

[​IMG]

The word comes from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said the facial recognition system is "far more complex" than those on competing devices, which is making it challenging for Apple to achieve mass production.

An excerpt from Kuo's research note obtained by MacRumors:
    Kuo said shipments of iPhone X components will likely ramp up in mid to late October. Given pre-orders begin October 27, with in-store availability starting November 3, all signs point towards the iPhone X being in extremely short supply.

Kuo believes iPhone X pre-orders have the potential to exceed 40-50 million units, so it's clear the device won't achieve supply-chain balance for quite awhile.

Article Link: TrueDepth Camera System is Primary Reason for Slow iPhone X Production

2. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

doesn't apple have like $200 billion in the bank? like jesus christ buy some factories, companies, or whatever to get production what it needs to be smh

3. BulkSlash macrumors regular

BulkSlash

Presumably if I pre-order early on the 17th I'll get one a few weeks before the iPhone 11 launches?

4. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

40-50 million of PreOrders would honestly be just insane. We're talking 40-50 Billions of sales....

It'll be a hell of fun this year to watch the launch day crazyness, scalpers, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    That is like saying "hey, why Samsung can't just go out and buy someone who can make a phone better than the iPhone?"

At the moment they are probably the only ones on earth who have the know-how to manufacture the thing. They are probably literally learning how the thing can be made, there's no manual for this type of stuff. They can't just hire an expert, they are the experts.

5. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Are we just gonna have a 30 minute production update cycle until release day? Lol

6. pat500000, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I wonder what jeff williams have to say about this.

edit: Forget it. Tim should fire him.

7. questionmark32 macrumors regular

Something must have happened where they decided later than normal that they wanted to do Face ID over Touch ID. The fact that the couldn't get Touch ID underneath the screen forced them to use their backup technology that they may have been planning for future iPhones, but not for the X

8. garethjs macrumors 6502a

This thing is going to be delayed till end of November by the looks of it.

9. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Makes sense. I guess it'll be in stock easily in the spring 2018.

10. blahbrah macrumors 6502

November 2018

11. Jetfire macrumors 6502

Ok this isn't TV you can't build a factory overnight. Apple is pushing tech to the limits here. It takes years of planning. Look at what happen with sapphire glass supplier a couple years back.

12. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I am getting iPhone X but I suspect the delays and supply will be so bad at launch that most likely no one will have get until next year

13. Swazaloo macrumors regular

If Apple owned the factories, they wouldn't be able to get away with the slave labour that is Chinese manufacturing.

14. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Aside from the ridiculousness of this statement, Apple has done these things.

15. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

So get this, the design model that should of been the choice for ALL the iPhones this year is delayed due to a "feature" literally no one wanted or asked for.
    LOL

16. Dades macrumors member

Dades

And miss out on all the huge queues and hype around who has and hasn't got one? No, better to have short supply and drip feed the masses while they save up to pay for it.

17. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

This is my guess as well.

18. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Only when it's bad news/rumors.

(Good news doesn't generate clicks/$$$.)

19. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

The workers assemble it, and spend another 20 minutes asking around, shuffling through manuals and calling their supervisors to see if their iPhone X also has a weird notch at the top, and if it’s supposed to be that way.

My take on what’s causing the slowdown.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What does Samsung have to do with the true depth camera?

21. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Very likely. Honestly I'd have preferred an 8 Plus with OLED display and touch ID in the lower bezel. Minimize the top bezel for more display area. I don't care if it isn't symmetric.

22. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

The more I think about this logic the more I don't believe it. If they wanted to keep touch ID they could have put in in the back for the time being then introduce the ID under the screen as a huge new feature. I believe that their intent is to make Face ID the norm.

23. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

iPhone X = Xpensive
    iPhone VX = Very Xpensive
    iPhone MMXVIII ...

24. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

News like this makes me wonder if the iPhone X was ready for primetime. I will be preordering one, regardless, but this doesn't sound too promising.

25. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This isn’t true. Craig Federighi told John Gruber Touch ID under the display was plan B. Gruber also confirmed the same with Apple engineers who said they’ve been working on Face iD for over a year.