• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report claiming Apple's suppliers are shipping only about 40 percent of the components originally planned for initial production of the iPhone X, a new report suggests the TrueDepth camera is the primary bottleneck.

truedepth-800x481.jpg

The word comes from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who said the facial recognition system is "far more complex" than those on competing devices, which is making it challenging for Apple to achieve mass production.

An excerpt from Kuo's research note obtained by MacRumors:
TrueDepth camera may be main production bottleneck of iPhone X ramp. The 3D sensing (TrueDepth camera) on iPhone X is composed of a structured-light system, time-of-flight system and a front-facing camera, which represents a far more complex structure than those of rivals. It will therefore be harder to achieve mass production. While we project iPhone X will see output ramp up meaningfully in mid/ late October, tight supply may only start to ease in 1H18F due to strong demand.
Kuo said shipments of iPhone X components will likely ramp up in mid to late October. Given pre-orders begin October 27, with in-store availability starting November 3, all signs point towards the iPhone X being in extremely short supply.

Kuo believes iPhone X pre-orders have the potential to exceed 40-50 million units, so it's clear the device won't achieve supply-chain balance for quite awhile.

Article Link: TrueDepth Camera System is Primary Reason for Slow iPhone X Production

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
40-50 million of PreOrders would honestly be just insane. We're talking 40-50 Billions of sales....

It'll be a hell of fun this year to watch the launch day crazyness, scalpers, etc.
[doublepost=1506350259][/doublepost]
doesn't apple have like $200 billion in the bank? like jesus christ buy some factories, companies, or whatever to get production what it needs to be smh

That is like saying "hey, why Samsung can't just go out and buy someone who can make a phone better than the iPhone?"

At the moment they are probably the only ones on earth who have the know-how to manufacture the thing. They are probably literally learning how the thing can be made, there's no manual for this type of stuff. They can't just hire an expert, they are the experts.

Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I wonder what jeff williams have to say about this.

edit: Forget it. Tim should fire him.

Last edited:
Comment

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Something must have happened where they decided later than normal that they wanted to do Face ID over Touch ID. The fact that the couldn't get Touch ID underneath the screen forced them to use their backup technology that they may have been planning for future iPhones, but not for the X

Comment

garethjs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
This thing is going to be delayed till end of November by the looks of it.

Comment

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
doesn't apple have like $200 billion in the bank? like jesus christ buy some factories, companies, or whatever to get production what it needs to be smh
Ok this isn't TV you can't build a factory overnight. Apple is pushing tech to the limits here. It takes years of planning. Look at what happen with sapphire glass supplier a couple years back.

Comment

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
I am getting iPhone X but I suspect the delays and supply will be so bad at launch that most likely no one will have get until next year

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE
Comment

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
And miss out on all the huge queues and hype around who has and hasn't got one? No, better to have short supply and drip feed the masses while they save up to pay for it.

Reactions: bwillwall
Comment

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Something must have happened where they decided later than normal that they wanted to do Face ID over Touch ID. The fact that the couldn't get Touch ID underneath the screen forced them to use their backup technology that they may have been planning for future iPhones, but not for the X

This is my guess as well.

Reactions: Spizike9
Comment

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
The workers assemble it, and spend another 20 minutes asking around, shuffling through manuals and calling their supervisors to see if their iPhone X also has a weird notch at the top, and if it’s supposed to be that way.

My take on what’s causing the slowdown.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
40-50 million of PreOrders would honestly be just insane. We're talking 40-50 Billions of sales....

It'll be a hell of fun this year to watch the launch day crazyness, scalpers, etc.
[doublepost=1506350259][/doublepost]

That is like saying "hey, why Samsung can't just go out and buy someone who can make a phone better than the iPhone?"

At the moment they are probably the only ones on earth who have the know-how to manufacture the thing. They are probably literally learning how the thing can be made, there's no manual for this type of stuff. They can't just hire an expert, they are the experts.
What does Samsung have to do with the true depth camera?

Comment

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012

Very likely. Honestly I'd have preferred an 8 Plus with OLED display and touch ID in the lower bezel. Minimize the top bezel for more display area. I don't care if it isn't symmetric.

Reactions: Pd1987
Comment

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
The more I think about this logic the more I don't believe it. If they wanted to keep touch ID they could have put in in the back for the time being then introduce the ID under the screen as a huge new feature. I believe that their intent is to make Face ID the norm.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
This isn’t true. Craig Federighi told John Gruber Touch ID under the display was plan B. Gruber also confirmed the same with Apple engineers who said they’ve been working on Face iD for over a year.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.