Trying to avoid sales tax

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aooga12, Jun 12, 2013.

1. aooga12 macrumors member

Is amazon the only place where sales tax isn't included? I'd rather pay $10-20 for shipping and handling than a 6% sales tax on a $1049 item.

I'm shopping for the new 13" MBA 128GB

Oh yeah, after OSX is installed on it, how many gigs do I have left? Beause I wanted to try out boot camp w/ 7, and I know 128 isn't a lot to be splitting it between the two OSs.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've never had Macmall charge me sales tax but I've heard other say they charged them. Must be the state you're in. BTW, 2013 is probably the last no sales tax year. Looks like Congress may actually pass a law requiring all online vendors to collect sales tax.

Let's hope not but it's not looking good.

Cheers,

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Looks like MacMall has stores in California and Illinois. According to their site, Amazon charges sales tax in Arizona, California, Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington. I know they are building more distribution centers too - one is coming to New Jersey soon.

Aside from that, almost every state expects you to "voluntarily" pay tax on anything you buy out of state. This is called "use tax" - check you state's tax website for more info. Naturally, everyone always obeys these laws. :D

4. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

You have it easy with 6%. Here in Phoenix it's 9.3%. BS.

I don't think I've been charged tax on my Amazon purchases though.

I'll be getting my new MBA from Sweetwater, Macmall, or B&H.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you use amazon a lot, then prime is a great thing. Free 2 day shipping, that usually comes in 1 day and no sales tax :)

Also, if you are a student or order online b.c they do not verify the information you save $50 on the 13" air so it becomes a wash (through apple).

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

They keep building new distribution centers and things are changing. According to their site, you will be charged tax in Arizona: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=468512

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you happen to be near Tigard, OR, Portland, OR or Dover, DE, or are planning to make a trip near there, you can always buy online via Apple and have your purchase shipped to one of those stores, then pick up when ready. You won't get charged sales tax.

----------

According to current specs, 8GB of available storage is required. Though I would budget double that so that there is plenty of room for updates and some apps.

Windows 7 requires 16GB of space if you're running 32-bit, and 20GB if you're running 64-bit. Again, I'd budget at least double for updates and apps.

8. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

I was looking for the same thing, but if you're in NY you're straight up out of luck.

Got one anyway, because time waits for no man.

9. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Macmall. I get great pleasure with that $0.00 on the sales tax line!

10. oatman13 macrumors regular

If you're absolutely serious about avoiding sales tax you can set up a holding company in the state of Nevada and make the company your billing address but not your shipping address. That way all of your purchases are billed through your LLC in Nevada in which there is no sales tax in that state.

This is useful especially since the new Internet Sales Tax law is about to be put into use.

11. c1phr macrumors 6502

Amazon does charge sales tax in many places as others have said, including Arizona. I just added an Air to my cart and checked, and sure enough, $54 in sales tax was applied.

12. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

woah, i guess that answers that, and that sucks. oh well. i like the Nevada idea.

13. techn0lady macrumors regular

Thank god for internet lawyers. For only a couple hundred dollars a year for the corporate renewal plus a few hundred more (at best) for setting up and registering the LLC plus a hundred or so for each year for a registered agent address as well as 8 or ten hours of your time to set up the corp you can completely avoid the $100 or so sales tax on a new macbook air. Brilliant !

(One more thing: Amazon is scheduled to start charging sales tax in NV in 2014 as they have a distrobution warehouse here in Fernly.

14. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

:D Hilarious! Although, I suppose it would make sense if you were using this scheme for large volumes of purchases.

15. oatman13 macrumors regular

Okay if you don't like renewal fees incorporate in Texas; however this won't work for Apple because Apple has offices in Texas and all 50 states. In order to bypass Apple taxes you'd need to incorporate in Delaware which is expensive.

16. Doc Shultz macrumors newbie

Doc Shultz

Just move to Oregon. It's absolutely beautiful, and there is NO sales tax.

17. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It gets cold there and I'll take no income tax over no sales tax any day!

Cheers,

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Welcome to Florida...where Fark.com even created an icon for how much strange and wonderful nationwide news stories come from here.

But we dont have income tax! :rolleyes:

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    @OP: you could try ordering through B&H Photo/Video in NYC: they have just the one store there so that anyone who is not in NY gets things without sales tax. http://bhphotovideo.com They are a very reliable vendor and sell Apple products there along with photo gear.

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Ha, 20% sales tax in UK and completely unavoidable regardless of where you buy :(

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

B&H is where I tend to buy my Macs from. As long as you don't live in NY I would highly recommend them.

22. techn0lady macrumors regular

Dunning-Kruger effect

23. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

if you don't need it now i would wait for apple's back to school promo.
    i bought my 2012 128 gb 13" air with 8gb of ram (i think it's a $90 upgrade for students instead of 100) at the student store for $1344. the free $100 itunes gift card i auction it off ebay, after all fees i netted $84 bringing down my total to $1260 w/tax.

24. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

i live in california and bought from B&H. 2012 MBA 13" i5 8 GB RAM 128 GB SSD for 1269 flat, no tax. I dunno what they are charging now but they generally charge less than everyone else, I remember they were selling the base 13 inch Air for 1019 at one point.

25. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

You have it easy in Phoenix, here it's 9.75 the highest in the United States IIRC.